2018-19 Blackhawks Roster Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
No you don't offer 6 x 6 for what Schmaltz has done thus far and with issues he has in his game

Also LOL at this board backing up the brinks truck up to Schmaltz while siding with Stanley against Saad in 2015

Saad was far more deserving of the 6M deal he got then Schmaltz would be

To play devil's advocate, in his first full season as an NHL'er he came one point shy of Saad's highest career point total for a season, is a Center, and the salary cap is higher now than it was three years ago, raising salaries with it.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Schmaltz is a 6m type player. You pay for future performance. In what world is a 50pt+ with upside for 70 that plays a complete game in all situations worth less than 6m in an 80m cap league....

Right.

When Saad signed, his cap hit was 8.22% of the cap. 8.22% of a $79.5 million cap is $6.54 million.

So if Schmaltz signed a 6x6 deal now it would be for a lesser percentage of the cap than what Saad got.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The Schmaltz of last year was a better player than Saad ever was for the Hawks. Not to mention, we are in a completely different set of circumstances here.

This time, we have a ton of cap space, with no other young players needing to be kept, and no replacement for Schmaltz in the pipline.

When Saad was up, they were tight up against the cap, and they had Panarin coming to ease the loss of Saad.

I'd gladly sign Schmaltz to a 6x6 deal, especially if he has another year similar to last years.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
What Stan is doing is smart. He's thinking about the future. Why should he waste all this cap space this season? Then we're back in cap hell and can't re-sign DCat and Schmaltz.

You mean beyond this season, right?

He should be using up cap space this season, even if it’s just to take on 1 year cap dumps packaged with prospects

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
At this point I think the Hawks should take a bucket approach and invite 2-3 D and 2-3 F to camp, vets that will take one year deals, keep 1D/1F and flip them at deadline if the team is bad.
Great plan, except you forgot one very important and crippling detail...Bowman will be giving said players each a NMC, thus preventing any deadline deals.:laugh:

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Like Spezza?
That's one guy, yes. I know there was talk of buying him out, but Dallas doesn't want more space taken up the following year.

Dallas would probably have to retain a bit (2m maybe), but we could possibly get a good asset depending on what the Stars front office wants to do this season.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
You mean beyond this season, right?

He should be using up cap space this season, even if it’s just to take on 1 year cap dumps packaged with prospects
What options are even out there? With the cap going up more this year than any other year in recent memory, are there even a lot of teams that would be willing to give up an asset to rid one year of a bad contract that we can fit?

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
What options are even out there? With the cap going up more this year than any other year in recent memory, are there even a lot of teams that would be willing to give up an asset to rid one year of a bad contract that we can fit?

Not sure, but the Spezza example works. I’m not sure who else is out there, I’ll need to take a look after work.

But, if the Hawks aren’t using the space to load up the roster to make a run, it certainly should be used in a way that makes this team better in the long run.

There’s no reason not to use up every dime one way or the other.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
If Dallas paid the Hawks to get rid of the Spezza deal then the Hawks should consider it. Spezza and a 1st for a 3rd? Not sure on the value but something like that.
I wouldn't imagine us getting a 1st. They do have a bit of space already and would only make this deal if they were looking at making a big trade.

However, I could see something like Spezza (with 2m retained) and a 2nd for a 5th round pick.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
How about zero retention, and that 2nd becomes a 1st?

Rather take retention and take the second, play him with Kane all season long and flip him at the trade deadline with 50% retention.

Spezza at $2,8m (or what ever his true caphit will be) at deadline is a solid pick-up for any team if he bounces back.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
How about zero retention, and that 2nd becomes a 1st?
We don't have that much space. Honestly, by looking at the numbers, we'd likely need them to retain more than the 2m I originally posted.

But I'm just using Spezza as an example anyway. There are plenty of teams that might want some wiggle room in the season for trades, and we could handle picking up a 4m player so long as something good comes with.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
We don't have that much space. Honestly, by looking at the numbers, we'd likely need them to retain more than the 2m I originally posted.

But I'm just using Spezza as an example anyway. There are plenty of teams that might want some wiggle room in the season for trades, and we could handle picking up a 4m player so long as something good comes with.

Wow, I was definitely off on my numbers.

Maybe flip Anisimov back to them in order to get that 1st?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Wow, I was definitely off on my numbers.

Maybe flip Anisimov back to them in order to get that 1st?
I'd probably do that. Spezza + 1st for Anisimov. Stars get to shed cap space and they get a younger center who put up more points than Spezza last year. Maybe we have to add a 4th or something. Basically we're trading Anisimov for a 1st not Anisimov for Spezza since we'd just let him go after the season. I don't know if the Stars do it, but if they think they can make a cup run, I'm not sure they'll care much for their 1st.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
These spezza deas make no sense the Stars have 7-8mil in cap. Unless this fit a need for them to clear after taking Bobby ryan with Karlsson in a trade.

Teams like Florida, Boston, & Tampa are at just 2mil space range so of they add some other FAs they could want to move out a 1 year guy like McCain, Mcginn, Giradri, Mackenzie, etc.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Scott Powers’ projected lineup assuming Bowman is done making moves:

Saad – Toews – Sikura
DeBrincat – Schmaltz – Kane
Highmore – Anisimov – Ejdsell
Kunitz – Kruger – Hayden

Keith – Rutta
Gustafsson – Seabrook
Manning – Murphy

Crawford
Ward

thats a team that will be thriving for top 3 lottery pick for christ sake.

lets be idiots and put our ONLY two true playmakers on the same freaking line so that we are a one line team; shut them down and the hawks are beat without any trouble, but perhaps that is the hawks master plan...

Saad with Toews without Hossa does not work, they proved that last season.

Anisimov and Ejdsell will be FAR to slow, adding Roszival to the wing may actually make that line faster.

kunitz/kruger/hayden is a clusterf***

the D pairings make no sense at all and without Forsling and Joki in that mix the hawks might as well resign themselves to being a lottery pick

the disconnect between the front office - GM and coaching staff of this team is very serious problem and it does not seem that anyone cares about that.

oh and that goaltending duo has so many problems with it given Corey's medical issues and Wards age and lack of skill at this point in his career.

f***ing disaster this team will be

Last edited:
Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
These spezza deas make no sense the Stars have 7-8mil in cap. Unless this fit a need for them to clear after taking Bobby ryan with Karlsson in a trade.

Teams like Florida, Boston, & Tampa are at just 2mil space range so of they add some other FAs they could want to move out a 1 year guy like McCain, Mcginn, Giradri, Mackenzie, etc.
Spezza is just an example of a guy whose team was reportedly interested in buying him out, but decided against it because of future cap implications.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Spezza is just an example of a guy whose team was reportedly interested in buying him out, but decided against it because of future cap implications.
But that was because they were in on Tavares. If he signed they'd have needed to move cap off. That's out of the picture.

Now the only seemingly reason he would move is of they do the Karlsson trade and take Bobby Ryan. But I would think Ottawa would need cap back to hit the floor so it might not need the 3rd party dump team.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
But that was because they were in on Tavares. If he signed they'd have needed to move cap off. That's out of the picture.

Now the only seemingly reason he would move is of they do the Karlsson trade and take Bobby Ryan. But I would think Ottawa would need cap back to hit the floor so it might not need the 3rd party dump team.
I forgot why they wanted it, but I do remember murmurs about them trying to get Tavares.

I do agree that the teams you listed above make much more sense.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
thats a team that will be thriving for top 3 lottery pick for christ sake.

lets be idiots and put our ONLY two true playmakers on the same freaking line so that we are a one line team; shut them down and the hawks are beat without any trouble, but perhaps that is the hawks master plan...

Saad with Toews without Hossa does not work, they proved that last season.

Anisimov and Ejdsell will be FAR to slow, adding Roszival to the wing may actually make that line faster.

kunitz/kruger/hayden is a cluster****

the D pairings make no sense at all and without Forsling and Joki in that mix the hawks might as well resign themselves to being a lottery pick

the disconnect between the front office - GM and coaching staff of this team is very serious problem and it does not seem that anyone cares about that.

oh and that goaltending duo has so many problems with it given Corey's medical issues and Wards age and lack of skill at this point in his career.

****ing disaster this team will be

I don't care what anyone thinks, this team will miss Hino. Some folks think that Sikura and/or this Kahun character can come in and replace what Hino brought on a nightly basis. I highly doubt it .... for either of these guys, but I'd love to be wrong.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Some folks think that Sikura and/or this Kahun character can come in and replace what Hino brought on a nightly basis
I'm one of those folks. Based off Vinnie's ppg from this year, he would've been on pace for 41 points in 82 games. That's very good. He should be ready to break out next season. That being said, based on conversion factors, Sikura is projected to put up ~45 points. Obviously that might not pan out, but considering how he didn't look out of place whatsoever in his 5 games (and put up 3 points), I think he's capable. Kahun is more of a wildcard but I have seen him play and he's got a lot of skill. Can probably output ~35 points. I can see him being similar to what Panik did for us in 16/17.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
I don't care what anyone thinks, this team will miss Hino. Some folks think that Sikura and/or this Kahun character can come in and replace what Hino brought on a nightly basis. I highly doubt it .... for either of these guys, but I'd love to be wrong.

Hino is a good 3rd liner, meh-top 6 forward. He is not the type of player that makes a discernible difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad