Prospect Info: 2018-19 Binghamton Devils and ECHL talk part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Top 3 point producers in Bing are 20(Stud's), 21(Gignac) and 20(McLeod).

Hopefully Cormier(age 21) can maintian a decent level(I don't expect 93% save percentage) so that these young guys can get some positive vibes from the 2nd half of the season.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Colton White is quietly having a nice season.

Top point producer amongst d-men. 5-13 -18 in 40 games played. 3 goals and 4 assists of which are on the pp, so it looks like 11 points are at evens. Shooting 8% which won't hold up, but is maybe an indicator of a good shot, or a nose for the net(he does have an impressive highlight goal to his credit).

Last edited:

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Top 3 point producers in Bing are 20(Stud's), 21(Gignac) and 20(McLeod).

Hopefully Cormier(age 21) can maintian a decent level(I don't expect 93% save percentage) so that these young guys can get some positive vibes from the 2nd half of the season.

Wow! Suprised McLeod has 20 points all ready. His start this year was abysmal.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Does Tariq Hammond have any future with the big club (bottom pair?) or is he more AHL filler?

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
Team is healthier tonight than they have been in a long time. Only injured scratches are Lack and Strait. Sissons and Saracino also scratched, but both healthy.

Can’t remember the last time this team had so few injuries. Hopefully we can make it 5 in a row tonight.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
We, our organization, it's the Bing thread

Right, but there's a large difference between the NHL Devils signing him and the B-Devils doing so. They signed him because they need another body at the AHL level, and they've used him as such. Sissons apparently hasn't earned a regular spot yet.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
Hershey 1 (OT) at Binghamton 0 - Status: Final OT
Wednesday, January 16, 2019 - Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena
Hershey 0 0 0 1 - 1
Binghamton 0 0 0 0 - 0

1st Period- No Scoring.Penalties-Quenneville Bng (tripping), 4:28; Speers Bng (tripping), 5:19; Barber Her (high-sticking), 6:42; Studenic Bng (tripping), 11:22; Ramage Bng (delay of game), 14:15.
2nd Period- No Scoring.Penalties-Lewington Her (holding, fighting), 10:13; Baddock Bng (fighting), 10:13; McLeod Bng (slashing), 12:01; Pilon Her (tripping), 19:39.
3rd Period- No Scoring.Penalties-Hammond Bng (delay of game), 14:48.
OT Period-1, Hershey, Sproul 5 (Sgarbossa, Walker), 3:20. Penalties-No Penalties
Shots on Goal-Hershey 10-4-8-3-25. Binghamton 5-4-6-1-16.
Power Play Opportunities-Hershey 0 / 6; Binghamton 0 / 3.
Goalies-Hershey, Samsonov 7-11-0 (16 shots-16 saves). Binghamton, Johnson 6-8-1 (25 shots-24 saves).

Reactions: My3Sons

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
A really interesting article by Masisak: https://theathletic.com/772299/2019/01/17/down-on-the-farm-player-by-player-midseason-report-on-the-devils-top-prospects-in-binghamton/ (Paywall)

For instance about McLeod:

Fitzgerald: “Like all these kids, there’s a certain adjustment and a curveball that might get thrown your way. His was at the beginning of the season. Marian’s was in the middle, or a couple months in. I think Michael’s adjusted very well. He’s realizing what his strengths are and what he can’t get away with at the pro level. I don’t think production is going to be a natural thing for him. He works for everything he gets. He’ll get chances. He’s got decent vision and make those plays laterally. Not afraid to get pucks to the net. Not afraid to hold onto it, either, which is a good thing. Sometimes you’re trying to help players instead of just getting it and moving to hold onto it and use your speed or your quickness or your size to hold onto pucks and continue to extend offensive zone time. He’s having a real good rookie year.

“He got the reward with the call-up game. He didn’t play much, but the value of it was it’s an educational process for him. He realized I’m not ready and these are the things I need to work on, and that was the message from John (Hynes) back to Mark, but I think he’s doing extremely well. I don’t like that when you have a first-round label on you, you have to be in a certain place at a certain time. People will say, ‘If Michael isn’t in New Jersey, well geez maybe it wasn’t a good pick.’ He’s going to be a real good player for us. He’s a hungry player. He’s heavy. He’s fast, tenacious. He’s a dog on a bone. Where that slots in? Not so sure, but I like that a 20-year-old has been able to come in and learn the responsibilities with and without the puck instead of having to say, ‘Oh this is too hard for a 20-year-old, let’s move him to the wing.’ Once you move guys to the wing, they may never get back to the position you drafted them at. That said, sometimes you have to take your lumps and he’s learning. You chase pucks around because you want it so bad, but sometimes less is more and that’s what we’re teaching Michael.”

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
A really interesting article by Masisak: https://theathletic.com/772299/2019/01/17/down-on-the-farm-player-by-player-midseason-report-on-the-devils-top-prospects-in-binghamton/ (Paywall)

For instance about McLeod:

Fitzgerald: “Like all these kids, there’s a certain adjustment and a curveball that might get thrown your way. His was at the beginning of the season. Marian’s was in the middle, or a couple months in. I think Michael’s adjusted very well. He’s realizing what his strengths are and what he can’t get away with at the pro level. I don’t think production is going to be a natural thing for him. He works for everything he gets. He’ll get chances. He’s got decent vision and make those plays laterally. Not afraid to get pucks to the net. Not afraid to hold onto it, either, which is a good thing. Sometimes you’re trying to help players instead of just getting it and moving to hold onto it and use your speed or your quickness or your size to hold onto pucks and continue to extend offensive zone time. He’s having a real good rookie year.

“He got the reward with the call-up game. He didn’t play much, but the value of it was it’s an educational process for him. He realized I’m not ready and these are the things I need to work on, and that was the message from John (Hynes) back to Mark, but I think he’s doing extremely well. I don’t like that when you have a first-round label on you, you have to be in a certain place at a certain time. People will say, ‘If Michael isn’t in New Jersey, well geez maybe it wasn’t a good pick.’ He’s going to be a real good player for us. He’s a hungry player. He’s heavy. He’s fast, tenacious. He’s a dog on a bone. Where that slots in? Not so sure, but I like that a 20-year-old has been able to come in and learn the responsibilities with and without the puck instead of having to say, ‘Oh this is too hard for a 20-year-old, let’s move him to the wing.’ Once you move guys to the wing, they may never get back to the position you drafted them at. That said, sometimes you have to take your lumps and he’s learning. You chase pucks around because you want it so bad, but sometimes less is more and that’s what we’re teaching Michael.”

It's always interesting to get these candid views of how the organization sees a player. I didn't realize they saw McLeod as that sort of in your face player ("Dog on a bone"). Hopefully they teach him enough to get him to NJ next season and contribute. It is a bit disappointing to hear that "production won't be a natural thing for him" but hopefully he maximizes what he is capable of and fits in to a middle six role in the NHL. If PZ can get by with good defense, great PK, and the odd point and still hang around the top six maybe McLeod can do more than that. Thanks for sharing this...

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
What surprised me most was how high both Fitzgerald and Dennehy are on Bastian. Both said that he has a really good hockey IQ and he is versatile and consistent. Fitzgerald thinks Bastian is going to play in the NHL, and "he’s always in that talk for a call-up". Of course Bastian need to continue to work with his skating, but: "We’re real happy with where his game is at."

Reactions: My3Sons

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
What surprised me most was how high both Fitzgerald and Dennehy are on Bastian. Both said that he has a really good hockey IQ and he is versatile and consistent. Fitzgerald thinks Bastian is going to play in the NHL, and "he’s always in that talk for a call-up". Of course Bastian need to continue to work with his skating, but: "We’re real happy with where his game is at."
Nathan "Brian Boyle" Bastian

he'll prob slot in as a bottom-6er

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad