Prospect Info: 2018-19 Binghamton Devils and ECHL talk part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
2019-01-20 Nathan Bastian (RW) Binghamton ADD Returned on loan from New Jersey (NHL)

2019-01-20 Mackenzie Blackwood (G) Binghamton ADD Returned on loan from New Jersey (NHL)

2019-01-20 Kevin Rooney (C) Binghamton ADD Returned on loan from New Jersey (NHL)

2019-01-20 Egor Yakovlev (D) Binghamton ADD Returned on loan from New Jersey (NHL)

Reactions: My3Sons

mmazz22

Jan 24, 2010
Johnson is brutal. No idea why he even started Friday night. First thing to help us down here is get us a real coach not some cheap dolt who has never had a winning record in college.
Also not sure how the wheels fell off after a couple last few good seasons in Albany.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Johnson is brutal. No idea why he even started Friday night. First thing to help us down here is get us a real coach not some cheap dolt who has never had a winning record in college.
Also not sure how the wheels fell off after a couple last few good seasons in Albany.

they are on pace for way more points this year than they had last year. A ton of their players have had to be called up to NJ because of many injuries.

I think you're WAY overreacting....

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

They're probably not going to start Cormier back to back unless it's an emergency, so they chose to start Johnson Friday and then the game got snowed out Saturday. Sucks.

It's pretty easy for the wheels to fall off at the minor league level - the only players on this year's team who played significant minutes in Albany are Quenneville, Lappin, Rooney, Pietila, Jacobs, and Blackwood. I bet Mozik and Stollery were top pairing quality AHLers - the Devils don't have any of those anymore except maybe Yakovlev and he hasn't played a lot down there.

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
Well, it's already January, I see you write a blog for the team (and it's always a good/informative read, keep up the good work),
I suggest that you read up on the NJD prospect pipeline as it would only increase your knowledge of the organization and more than likely help out your blog.
Wish I could take credit, but I think you have me mixed up! I don't write any blogs or anything like that.

Reactions: Ski

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
Is it me or is there a massive goalie logjam down here? I'm assuming Blackwood is just for the break, and Schneider is a conditioning loan, but there's 4 goalies down here now. Wonder who gets the bulk of the action over the next week or two.

mmazz22

Jan 24, 2010
they are on pace for way more points this year than they had last year. A ton of their players have had to be called up to NJ because of many injuries.

I think you're WAY overreacting....

I’m not over reacting. How many of these crap games you witness? Oh yea more points than last year? A FHL team playing in the AHL should surpass last years puny totals! This is a bad team even when healthy.

Reactions: Devils Dominion

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I’m not over reacting. How many of these crap games you witness? Oh yea more points than last year? A FHL team playing in the AHL should surpass last years puny totals! This is a bad team even when healthy.

calm down.

don't watch the games then? I'm not sure why you'd watch something that gets you so angry so easily

Like I Said, there is a reason why they aren't a great team this year. NJ has taken all of their best players for large stretches basically. Thats what happens in the AHL sometimes.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

Well said. Thanks for providing eye witness accounts, much appreciated

Reactions: mmazz22

mmazz22

Jan 24, 2010
calm down.

don't watch the games then? I'm not sure why you'd watch something that gets you so angry so easily

Like I Said, there is a reason why they aren't a great team this year. NJ has taken all of their best players for large stretches basically. Thats what happens in the AHL sometimes.

I have been watching AHL hockey for 40 years I know how it works and I know what its like to have a crappy affiliate. Also telling what few fans left to not watch is counter productive. I spend over 8 grand a year sponsoring this crap show and I am fed up. In fact I have left or just skipped completely more games this year than I have in 40 years. Maybe Ill take your advice and stay home and watch my Isles.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
They're not good for a few reasons - one is the injuries in NJ, one is the 2014 and 2015 (and 2016) draft classes, but another one is also the lack of investment in top AHL players.
I wouldn't look to lay blame on the 2016 class. It's young, but there are 3 pretty significant contributors from that draft. (and Anderson is hurt).

14 and 15 drafts though for sure.

I think Lappin having a down season hasn't helped on the lack of investment front.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I wouldn't look to lay blame on the 2016 class. It's young, but there are 3 pretty significant contributors from that draft. (and Anderson is hurt).

14 and 15 drafts though for sure.

I think Lappin having a down season hasn't helped on the lack of investment front.

But this is the problem, yes, McLeod and Gignac are among the team's leading scorers, but they're putting up 2nd line numbers. Lappin's down season is likely due to the lack of quality around him in the lineup - the more strong links a team has, the better each of them become (until they start crowding one another out for ice time, which is rare).

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
But this is the problem, yes, McLeod and Gignac are among the team's leading scorers, but they're putting up 2nd line numbers. Lappin's down season is likely due to the lack of quality around him in the lineup - the more strong links a team has, the better each of them become (until they start crowding one another out for ice time, which is rare).
The 2016 class being in there +3 year really shouldn't be expected to be more then 2nd liners though right? I know you mentioned them more as an aside and not the main culprits, but I don't think they are at all the issue.

It's the lack of contributions from other areas you mentioned. I'd say most notably the veteran AHL'rs, and I'd say Lappin being more a shooter and not a creator makes him more susceptible to the lack of talented team mates.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Bing lost a lot of career AHLers due to injury and a few to not giving deals too over the last few years. Guys like Whitney, Sislo, Bernier, Lorito, etc had tremendous value to the organization as a whole. Alas they should get a pretty solid group going into next year.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The 2016 class being in there +3 year really shouldn't be expected to be more then 2nd liners though right? I know you mentioned them more as an aside and not the main culprits, but I don't think they are at all the issue.

It's the lack of contributions from other areas you mentioned. I'd say most notably the veteran AHL'rs, and I'd say Lappin being more a shooter and not a creator makes him more susceptible to the lack of talented team mates.

They should be if they're going to be NHLers. There aren't a lot of people who make the NHL who are 2nd line AHLers in their age 20 season. There are some, certainly, but not many.

Bing lost a lot of career AHLers due to injury and a few to not giving deals too over the last few years. Guys like Whitney, Sislo, Bernier, Lorito, etc had tremendous value to the organization as a whole. Alas they should get a pretty solid group going into next year.

Of those players, only Bernier has contributed anything significant in the AHL this season. It's not unusual for players like this to switch teams; it's that the Devils haven't really signed many of them from other teams.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
They should be if they're going to be NHLers. There aren't a lot of people who make the NHL who are 2nd line AHLers in their age 20 season. There are some, certainly, but not many.
Well the NHL potential of these guys is another debate.

But we are talking here about the contributions to this years Bing squad. That's why the 2014 guys are in the discussion.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Of those players, only Bernier has contributed anything significant in the AHL this season. It's not unusual for players like this to switch teams; it's that the Devils haven't really signed many of them from other teams.

My point is that they're not exactly flush with experience in the AHL regardless of how many points Bernier has.

Bernier only played a handful of games in Albany

That's not the point, I meant guys who have carved out AHL success and are good guys to have down there.

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
Right. The veteran signings this year were Gryba, Tangradi, Ramage and Gabriel. I don't believe I'm missing anyone but if I am, someone can jump in.

Gryba is probably the slowest player in the AHL.

Gabriel provides practically nothing except an occasional fight or big hit.

Ramage has been decent. Guy tries hard, blocks a lot of shots and puts up a respectable number of points so I won't knock him.

Tangradi has been the only real positive out of the bunch, but he's been hurt all year and (like Lappin) doesn't really have anything to work with.

Then there's Strait who was picked up last year and should've been a veteran presence this year, but he's been injured the whole season.

The lack of veterans on this roster is something that has really hurt the team all year, both through lack of signing quality guys and injuries. Hopefully the former is something that's addressed better next year because honestly, a lot of the younger guys have impressed, and I think they could be even better with the right group of guys around them.

Reactions: Devils Dominion

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Right. The veteran signings this year were Gryba, Tangradi, Ramage and Gabriel. I don't believe I'm missing anyone but if I am, someone can jump in.

Gryba is probably the slowest player in the AHL.

Gabriel provides practically nothing except an occasional fight or big hit.

Ramage has been decent. Guy tries hard, blocks a lot of shots and puts up a respectable number of points so I won't knock him.

Tangradi has been the only real positive out of the bunch, but he's been hurt all year and (like Lappin) doesn't really have anything to work with.

Then there's Strait who was picked up last year and should've been a veteran presence this year, but he's been injured the whole season.

The lack of veterans on this roster is something that has really hurt the team all year, both through lack of signing quality guys and injuries. Hopefully the former is something that's addressed better next year because honestly, a lot of the younger guys have impressed, and I think they could be even better with the right group of guys around them.

Is it unreasonable to expect JQ and Lappin to play like legit AHL top line guys? I think that may have been part of the expectation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad