Speculation: 2017 Trade Deadline Discussion (Buy/Sell, Rumors, Trades, Scouts, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
We gave up a 3rd for absolutely nothing last year. So as I said, I would take the risk.

I understand he hasn't been good in Detroit. He's a 6'1" 200lb winger and 24 years old. Why not? He hasn't played a whole year in the bigs. And I know it's the minors, but he's tore up the AHL when he's been down there. Change of scenery could be all he needs.

He's got no more upside left. He has about topped out as an NHLer. Chicago wants him for some depth in the playoffs, not to make him a definite part of their future. He plays a soft game and doesn't match with the game Buffalo intends to play. He's not a better fit over any of our prospects...he's a worse option. TM needs to stock up some picks to use as add-ins for summer trades, not get rid of them for nothing players at a position they're already deep at.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago is also pretty capped out. They can't really afford to add an impact player, so getting a depth guy like Jurco is probably the best they can do.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I get why chicago gave up a 3rd. It's late and it's fir depth. You acquire them for playoff runs. Likely some scout of theirs is higher on him if he fits the right system or as with the right players.

Buffalo doesn't need another young winger. They have at least 5 developing now in their system that I have over jurco.

If he played D, I'd be more willing to do such a trade.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Chicago is also pretty capped out. They can't really afford to add an impact player, so getting a depth guy like Jurco is probably the best they can do.

This is why Gionta with the sabres retaining salary would be a very good fit for them. Too bad Murray is going to honor his wishes and not shop him, though if CHI is on his list....

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I get why chicago gave up a 3rd. It's late and it's fir depth. You acquire them for playoff runs. Likely some scout of theirs is higher on him if he fits the right system or as with the right players.

Buffalo doesn't need another young winger. They have at least 5 developing now in their system that I have over jurco.

If he played D, I'd be more willing to do such a trade.
Not necessarily true. Buffalo has an abundance of right shot winners. And they're trying to force a couple to LW. It's not working out as they hoped. We're short on left shot LW'ers.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
If Gionta wants to come back next year and Murray doesn't think we will make the playoffs then why not let him compete for one more cup and then just sign with us in the off season? It would literally be for 3 months that he'd be out of Buffalo. It would give us an asset, allow him to compete for a cup and he could come back next year on a smaller deal. The only thing I could see being awkward would be the captaincy in that scenario. I'm sure they would leave it vacant the rest of this year but if he is dealt and then signs back in the summer do they give him the C back? Imo, if the team plans on giving it to RoR then Gionta coming back isn't that big of a deal. If they want to give it to Eichel, I'm sure they would like Gionta back for one more year so Eichel has more then 140 games under his belt before he's named the captain.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
From FanSided on an article titled 5 players the Canadiens should target. Found it interesting considering it's suggesting that Mikhail Sergachev or Noah Juulsen could be had.

"Franson and Kulikov are both in the last season of their contracts. Franson is slightly cheaper with a cap hit of $3.3 million, while Kulikov is being paid $4.3 million. Given Buffalo’s cap situation, they could potentially retain salary to get a greater return from the Canadiens.

The Sabres would likely accept a second round pick for either player. But Murray would likely send want to send a third round pick back with either Franson or Kulikov if it means he can acquire a higher end Montreal prospect such as Mikhail Sergachev or Noah Juulsen. Montreal selected Sergachev in the first round of the 2016 draft. The Russian defenceman is averaging almost a point a game with the Windsor Spitfire of the Ontario Hockey League. In the first round of 2015 draft Montreal selected Juulsen, who has 28 points in 37 for the Everett Silvertips of Western Hockey League."

There's is a player who might interest Montreal and would start the conversation on Sergachev. :sarcasm: But bringing up said player evokes a myriad of responses about how we can't trade that player.

(Said player may or may not play left wing and possibly wears a single digit jersey number divisible by three.)

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Did I miss the reference for gionta publicly not wanting to be traded?

It was in Friedman's 30 thoughts column from the 14th: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-decision-galchenyuk-looms-canadiens/

14. Buffalo’s Brian Gionta has told the Sabres he would like to stay with the organization and not be traded. He is unrestricted after this season. As per his contract, there are five teams he can be traded to. (No, he was not sharing the names.)

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
\Can we go over cap because of McCormick?

In theory, sure. They could exercise a long term injury exception to allow them to replace McCormick and/or Larsson and in doing so exceed the cap. That said, it's very very unlikely that they're even going to hit the cap, let alone need to exceed it.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
One aspect I keep overlooking is that in 18-19 the Sabres actually get a cap credit of almost 460k from Hodgson. Since that is the last year of Moulson and Ennis' deal and guessing that Kane gets a long term deal of around 6 mil per give or take a few hundred thousand the cap credit from Hodgson would almost cover the raise for Kane himself. And once Hodgsons starts to cost the Sabres nearly 800k in dead money, Moulson and Ennis will be off the books. I'm starting to think that a Kane extension will not be something that difficult to pull off even taking into account Jack and Sams new contracts. With the money from Gorges, Gio, Franson etc coming off this year and next and with the cap hopefully rising even 2-3 mil by 2018-2019, I think a Kane extension even with both Moulson and Ennis still here is not that hard to execute.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
One aspect I keep overlooking is that in 18-19 the Sabres actually get a cap credit of almost 460k from Hodgson. Since that is the last year of Moulson and Ennis' deal and guessing that Kane gets a long term deal of around 6 mil per give or take a few hundred thousand the cap credit from Hodgson would almost cover the raise for Kane himself. And once Hodgsons starts to cost the Sabres nearly 800k in dead money, Moulson and Ennis will be off the books. I'm starting to think that a Kane extension will not be something that difficult to pull off even taking into account Jack and Sams new contracts. With the money from Gorges, Gio, Franson etc coming off this year and next and with the cap hopefully rising even 2-3 mil by 2018-2019, I think a Kane extension even with both Moulson and Ennis still here is not that hard to execute.

All the Kane trade talk is media and fan speculation. Unless someone knocks the sabres socks off, I think they'll try and sign him at the end of the season.

That said, the latest info is that there are surprisingly few teams calling on Kane. That's good for the sabres if they want to resign him, as long as salary expectations are in alignment.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

Kane is going to want a raise in the 1m range maybe more combined with term IMO.

I'm not 100 comfortable with this in a vacuum let alone considering the raises Sam & Jack will get & making 2 worthwhile additions to the d.

The only way Kane fits long term is if Ennis & Moulson are both cleared.

Clearing Ennis & Moulson will likely cost assets.

Improving the d will likely cost assets

Given this I just don't think Kane is worth it. Sell high.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Kane is going to want a raise in the 1m range maybe more combined with term IMO.

I'm not 100 comfortable with this in a vacuum let alone considering the raises Sam & Jack will get & making 2 worthwhile additions to the d.

The only way Kane fits long term is if Ennis & Moulson are both cleared.

Clearing Ennis & Moulson will likely cost assets.

Improving the d will likely cost assets

Given this I just don't think Kane is worth it. Sell high.

Personally I would trade Kane for a top 4 defender with RFA years left on his contract if possible or cap friendly. Too much risk with Kane to hand over 6+ Million and still have to pay Reinhart and Eichel and find a top 4. I think Kane solves the problem of finding a top 4 defender and it is easier to find 20 goal scorers than top 4 defenders.(yes Kane brings more than 20 goals).

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
With the talent we have right now we might become an inconsistent bubble team, not a regular play off candidate.
We blew the Eichel/Reinhart elc window and should sell, rebuild next year and then make another push for It.
Hence: sell Kane and anyone that might return anything that will help us in the long run.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I would not trade Kane straight up for Sergachev. I have no idea why anybody thinks that guy is a sure thing. He has potential, but he's still a pretty big gamble. And he's probably 2 years away. No thanks.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
With the talent we have right now we might become an inconsistent bubble team, not a regular play off candidate.
We blew the Eichel/Reinhart elc window and should sell, rebuild next year and then make another push for It.
Hence: sell Kane and anyone that might return anything that will help us in the long run.

Didn't blow it. We lost two lotteries. We did grow impatient and start trading prospects for better players. But which of those prospects looks like he could make even this team?

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
In theory, sure. They could exercise a long term injury exception to allow them to replace McCormick and/or Larsson and in doing so exceed the cap. That said, it's very very unlikely that they're even going to hit the cap, let alone need to exceed it.

Allows to take on some contracts, expiring, to maybe make a deal fit.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Are there any such contracts out there? It'd have to be a (a) bad contract (b) that is expiring this year or next (c) on a playoff team (d) that is cap strapped.

What about David Bolland. He is on a LTIR... seems to count at 50% against the cap.
3 years left at $5 million. Similar to Ennis and Moulson contracts.
Does Arizona want some veterans added after losing Doan after the season?
They will have 26 million space available.

Matt Moulson and a 3rd for Bolland?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I would not trade Kane straight up for Sergachev. I have no idea why anybody thinks that guy is a sure thing. He has potential, but he's still a pretty big gamble. And he's probably 2 years away. No thanks.

If the Sabres aren't planning on re-signing Kane, then I would most definitely trade him straight up for Sergachev.

In fact, I don't even know if the Habs would do that as a one for one deal. Given Kane is a year away from UFA, they may want sweetener.

I don't see Kane having ROR-like trade value at this point due to the off the ice concerns.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
And if you guys are suggesting taking a bad contract back in a deadline deal, don't forget to factor in loosing a player we don't want to loose in the expansion draft, and loosing the opportunity to loose a player we wouldn't mind loosing, albeit paying Vegas a bit to take an Ennis.

Seriously, we are set up perfectly for this expansion draft right now.....selll expiring assets for picks, use those picks to make sure one of Ennis, Moulson or Gorgs is picked by Vegas. Worry about defense after expansion draft plays out.

Barring injury, Kane will be worth the same after expansion draft/over the summer.

Stay the course right now....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad