Speculation: 2017 Trade Deadline Discussion (Buy/Sell, Rumors, Trades, Scouts, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
Smarter to get picks and/or exempted prospects for a guy rather than losing them for free.

Yes, they still lose a good player. But at least there would be a return for it.

From FanSided on an article titled 5 players the Canadiens should target. Found it interesting considering it's suggesting that Mikhail Sergachev or Noah Juulsen could be had.

"Franson and Kulikov are both in the last season of their contracts. Franson is slightly cheaper with a cap hit of $3.3 million, while Kulikov is being paid $4.3 million. Given Buffalo’s cap situation, they could potentially retain salary to get a greater return from the Canadiens.

The Sabres would likely accept a second round pick for either player. But Murray would likely send want to send a third round pick back with either Franson or Kulikov if it means he can acquire a higher end Montreal prospect such as Mikhail Sergachev or Noah Juulsen. Montreal selected Sergachev in the first round of the 2016 draft. The Russian defenceman is averaging almost a point a game with the Windsor Spitfire of the Ontario Hockey League. In the first round of 2015 draft Montreal selected Juulsen, who has 28 points in 37 for the Everett Silvertips of Western Hockey League."

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Smarter to get picks and/or exempted prospects for a guy rather than losing them for free.

Yes, they still lose a good player. But at least there would be a return for it.

They are going to have 3-5 good players exposed no matter what they do...

They are tryin to win a cup...

Maybe they just accept that they are going to lose ONE guy, and focus on winning this year?

In theory, they trade Scandella for Kulikov, Girgensons, and a pick.... then they lose Girgensons in the expansion draft. Was it really worth it to them to move a guy that's experienced in their system, locker room, etc?

If the only benefit is acquiring exempt/futures.... then they are downgrading their team for a playoff run....

I don't know... I really want Scandella... but the logic doesnt add up from Minny side IMO

sabregoat

Sep 22, 2005
Hamburg, NY
And after all this expansion draft shuffling, and then the expansion draft, all of the fans will be relieved that it is finally over. And then the league announces another expansion in 2 years.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
From FanSided on an article titled 5 players the Canadiens should target. Found it interesting considering it's suggesting that Mikhail Sergachev or Noah Juulsen could be had.

"Franson and Kulikov are both in the last season of their contracts. Franson is slightly cheaper with a cap hit of $3.3 million, while Kulikov is being paid $4.3 million. Given Buffalo’s cap situation, they could potentially retain salary to get a greater return from the Canadiens.

The Sabres would likely accept a second round pick for either player. But Murray would likely send want to send a third round pick back with either Franson or Kulikov if it means he can acquire a higher end Montreal prospect such as Mikhail Sergachev or Noah Juulsen. Montreal selected Sergachev in the first round of the 2016 draft. The Russian defenceman is averaging almost a point a game with the Windsor Spitfire of the Ontario Hockey League. In the first round of 2015 draft Montreal selected Juulsen, who has 28 points in 37 for the Everett Silvertips of Western Hockey League."

What am I missing here? Wouldn't any Habs fan tell us to kick rocks with that garbage offer for Serg?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Sounds like a really terrible HF Trade proposal

LetsDoughBuffalo

Apr 4, 2014

*Dreaming of Murray sending Kulikov at 50% and our 2017 1st round pick to Montreal for Sergachev...

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Dallas sends Patrick Eaves to Anaheim for a 2nd that could potentially become a 1st.

Seller's market.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
But in that situation, they're still going to lose a good player to Vegas.

So they lose a good player in a trade (but get something back), but then lose another good player to Vegas. The "trade the excess" strategy only works if what you are left with for Vegas to choose from is **** you don't care about losing. If you have too many good players you have to leave unprotected, then you're screwed unless you make multiple trades to get exempt players, picks, and prospects for ALL of those good unprotected players.

Vegas can make trades prior to the draft, too. I could see Minnesota trying to pull off something like getting expansion-exempt assets for one of their D and then offering LV a draft pick not to pick whatever roster D they have to leave exposed.

Scherbs

Feb 16, 2016
Ontario
Would rather Jurco than some of the junk wingers we have sitting in the lineup. To me a 3rd seems worth the risk.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
The issue with evaluating this team is that we're playing guys like Des (who 60 AHLers are an upgrade over), but we're also the only team with our depth chart who would play so many useless dudes over the kids.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
They are going to have 3-5 good players exposed no matter what they do...

They are tryin to win a cup...

Maybe they just accept that they are going to lose ONE guy, and focus on winning this year?

In theory, they trade Scandella for Kulikov, Girgensons, and a pick.... then they lose Girgensons in the expansion draft. Was it really worth it to them to move a guy that's experienced in their system, locker room, etc?

If the only benefit is acquiring exempt/futures.... then they are downgrading their team for a playoff run....

I don't know... I really want Scandella... but the logic doesnt add up from Minny side IMO

Yeah, i think Minny trades Scandella after the season for a pick/prospect.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Would rather Jurco than some of the junk wingers we have sitting in the lineup. To me a 3rd seems worth the risk.

We have better wingers already. Jurco wouldn't play over Moulson any more than Baptiste/Bailey get to, especially since at 24, it's not like you can honestly expect much more development from him. He's just not that good.

I see the logic for Chicago, though. They took a flyer on Panik, and that's working out nicely for them this season. Why not throw a late 3rd and Jurco and see if the rest of Chicago's roster can't make him look respectable?

Scherbs

Feb 16, 2016
Ontario
Are you certain that you know who Jurco is? He has 39 career pts in four seasons, doesn't play a big game, and has been a literal no-show in Detroit this season.
We gave up a 3rd for absolutely nothing last year. So as I said, I would take the risk.

I understand he hasn't been good in Detroit. He's a 6'1" 200lb winger and 24 years old. Why not? He hasn't played a whole year in the bigs. And I know it's the minors, but he's tore up the AHL when he's been down there. Change of scenery could be all he needs.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
We gave up a 3rd for absolutely nothing last year. So as I said, I would take the risk.

I understand he hasn't been good in Detroit. He's a 6'1" 200lb winger and 24 years old. Why not? He hasn't played a whole year in the bigs. And I know it's the minors, but he's tore up the AHL when he's been down there. Change of scenery could be all he needs.

How about, Why?

So far you given us his height, weight, and age... which doesn't differentiate him much from Deslauriers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad