Speculation: 2017 Trade Deadline Discussion (Buy/Sell, Rumors, Trades, Scouts, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
With the NHL trade deadline less than five weeks away (March), I figured I would start this thread to be devoted almost exclusively to the deadline. The Roster Speculation thread can continue to address issues day-to-day line construction, usage, long-term roster goals (e.g., UFA, general drafting strategies, etc.), salary cap, expansion draft, etc. Among other topics, this thread can deal with issues such as:

• Whether Buffalo should buy/sell, and you would be targeting to buy/sell;

• Which teams are scouting us, and who we are scouting;

• Trade rumors around the league;

• Actual trades that occur leading up to the deadline;

• Any other topic you deem relevant to the deadline.

At present, here is our draft ammunition:

1st - BUF
2nd - BUF, MIN
3rd - BUF, WSH
4th - BUF
5th - None
6th - BUF
7th - BUF

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/sabres

Have at it.

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
If we're buyers, which players or positions are on your shopping list? I think Murray would try to trade one of the 3rd rounders for a forward who can play in the top-6 if or when we have another injury to Ennis, Kane, or another winger. A comparable from last year's deadline would be a Patrick Maroon or Ted Purcell. While simply moving Kane up (if Ennis is hurt again) may seem easy, that would hurt the 3rd line's offensive ability and Kane can hurt the offensive flow when with better players. If said winger, can also PK, that's a bonus.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
There is no chance this team is buying a rental player. The only way they are buyers are if it is in a major trade for a player that can help them long term.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
There is no chance this team is buying a rental player. The only way they are buyers are if it is in a major trade for a player that can help them long term.

I think it depends on where we are. If we're a point or two out, I could see Murray throwing a 3rd at a rental for depth. I think Murray wants to make the playoffs this year, and I'm not sure he'll stand pat if he has a chance at the playoffs. I think he'd get an itchy trigger finger.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Kane
Deslauriers
Gorges
Ennis

These are my top guys I want moved by any means necessary before October 2017. Get as much as possible from a willing and gullible GM.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Given the standings, this stands to be a STRONG sellers market.

That being said, I think Buffalo is going to line up some "hockey deals" rather than pure rentals.

Gionta: It's probably up to him what he wants to do. 1 Cup ring already. He wants to get moved, he'll get moved. he wants to stay, he'll stay.

Kulikov. There will certainly be interest. I think if we move him really depends on how close we are to the playoffs within a couple of games of the playoffs. I'll put this as a probably.

Kane: :dunno:

Gorges: Certainly won't be moved.

Ennis: Doubt anyone will take on that contract currently with his injury history and lack of production the last two years.

Falk/Fedun are both seem like guys who could get moved as 'extra depth'.

An interesting scenario i've been considering is the teams who have too many defense men to protect yet. For example, look at MN.

Kane+Kulikov (a rental) in exchange for Brodin

MN keeps their defensive depth, adds Kane, and doesn't lose Brodin for nothing in the expansion draft. Buffalo would probably have to take SOME salary back to make that deal work

WpgBuffan

Jun 9, 2008
I think the Trade Deadline this year is on March 1st. I think I would move one of our UFA defenseman. It wouldn't really bother me if both Kuli and Franson are traded.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
If they're sniffing a playoff spot, I don't think there's any way Murray sells. He's not taking the wind out of a young team's sails by selling off Kulikov, Gionta, Franson, et al. He's adding to that team. If they're pretty out of it, he'll sell - but if he's close, Murray's pushing for a playoff spot this season.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
im still probably 10-15 games from making up my mind on whether this team should sell or buy at the TDL, another stretch of 6-3-1 or better and we are having legitimate conversations about how close we are to the playoffs then a 2nd, 3rd, and maybe 1 prospect would be on the table as a buyer; fall back to a 4-5-1 over the next 10 and I think the nails will be in the coffin and TM should be looking to move out UFA's and maybe sell a contract

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
im still probably 10-15 games from making up my mind on whether this team should sell or buy at the TDL, another stretch of 6-3-1 or better and we are having legitimate conversations about how close we are to the playoffs then a 2nd, 3rd, and maybe 1 prospect would be on the table as a buyer; fall back to a 4-5-1 over the next 10 and I think the nails will be in the coffin and TM should be looking to move out UFA's and maybe sell a contract

I agree.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
If they're sniffing a playoff spot, I don't think there's any way Murray sells. He's not taking the wind out of a young team's sails by selling off Kulikov, Gionta, Franson, et al. He's adding to that team. If they're pretty out of it, he'll sell - but if he's close, Murray's pushing for a playoff spot this season.

Agreed

Also agree that with extra picks he could go for a rental too. Especially if there's cheap 4th line rentals (our 4th is garbage).

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011

agreed, selling off Gionta or someone when your are with 2 points would be poor messaging to a young team.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It will be interesting to see what teams around the Sabres in the standings do at the deadline.

What does Florida do? What does Carolina do? What do the Bruins, Islanders, Leafs, and Flyers do?

A lot can happen over the next few weeks to change things. Or, the situation can be as muddled as it is today and a whole host of GMs are going to have tough calls to make.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Stand pat, unless someone is willing to fork over a 1st for Kulikov (not happening).

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Every team in the East is .500 or better and in the West only 4 teams are under .500. At this point you don't sell unless you are a real long shot of making the playoffs. All it takes is a 7-8 game win streak and we have overtaken Boston and are right there in a spot.

rtfirefly

Nov 13, 2013
An important, and as yet unmentioned, factor is the expansion draft. It is in the Sabres best interest, regardless of their closeness to a wild card spot, to avoid adding any players who need to be protected. Indeed, the best long-term strategy would be, if possible, to exchange players who don't figure in their long-term plans for draft picks or players—even depth players—who now are exempt from the need to be protected, and who may have some future upside. The Sabres are not, at this point, a deep-playoff-run team. A one-and-out playoff run (courtesy of adding a rental) is not worth any move that impacts the longer term. Or so I believe.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Every team in the East is .500 or better and in the West only 4 teams are under .500. At this point you don't sell unless you are a real long shot of making the playoffs. All it takes is a 7-8 game win streak and we have overtaken Boston and are right there in a spot.

If you sell there would be great demand. This isn't a cup team. Restock picks.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Obviously a couple of players will be on the block for deadline. Namely Gorges and Kane (as was rumored early in the season he was available).

Kulikov? Not sure, a lot of variables in any decision to re-sign him, my guess is money and term.

Gionta? No idea. If he wants to i guess? But I don't see him getting re-signed. Would love if he retired and goes to coach in Elmira or Rochester.

Franson? Could see him re-signing.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
I am only selling if A. We have a bad run leading up to the TDL and would need a miracle to get in. If we maintain this 3-4 points out I don't think any reasonably competitive person would sell. An extra couple 2nd round picks they may help you in 4 years isnt worth the stigma of bailing out of the playoff run before its over. B. Someone blows me away with an offer for a player we would most likely replace in the lineup like Ennis or Falk etc.... I dont think I would trade Gionta if we were close.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
I am only selling if A. We have a bad run leading up to the TDL and would need a miracle to get in. If we maintain this 3-4 points out I don't think any reasonably competitive person would sell. An extra couple 2nd round picks they may help you in 4 years isnt worth the stigma of bailing out of the playoff run before its over. B. Someone blows me away with an offer for a player we would most likely replace in the lineup like Ennis or Falk etc.... I dont think I would trade Gionta if we were close.

Everyone is so used to losing and deadline selling that they think Buffalo still should. Well it's a lot tighter in the standings this year. You don't sell if you're still only a couple points out.

Come on people I know it's the norm for Buffalo, but if we're still right there I don't think it's that unreasonable of a thought that Murray buys a player or two.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
why are we trading Kane again?

I'm really not sure he's as valued to any other team as much as he is in Buffalo right now. I dont see that hypothetical 'top 4 D' coming back in a Kane trade with only 1.5 yrs left on his deal, along with him needing to be protected.

Is this just a hot streak or has he finally found his proper role in this lineup? Even with the IQ issues theres no doubt he brings positives on the ice. I'm also seeing a player who looks to be having more fun than he has during his tenure here (as far as on ice emotions & expressions, he's even smiling and laughing now with the guys).

Perhaps he's finally found a comfort level with his teammates and finally feels like one of the guys who might even become a leader since he now has so many teammates younger than him?

Sure we can point to the off ice stuff, but it seems after his talking to he might finally be getting it at 25 (still hard to believe he's so young). just my $.02

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
A lot to decide, emotionally and logically.

I think in both cases, running for the playoffs should trump everything. That being said, the team still has something to prove. It needs to keep this streak going.

Kulikov is tough, because he's exactly what we need. On the other hand, trading him both has value in return, and simplifies the expansion draft approach.

I've fully backed out on wanting to trade Kane. I've always wanted to love the guy, and his 3rd line role is so perfect for him. If the off ice stuff didn't exist, he'd be a lock to keep. Even then, ATM, he's still someone I wouldn't part with without a pretty good dman coming back.

Gionta will likely stay, and be resigned. He's conducted himself as well as anyone could ask, and his play on the ice has been solid. I'd like to see the C move to the new core, but I'm with him being back.

Bogosian: it's clear he's part of the core from a social perspective. My problem is that his play is wildly inconsistent, and he has largely exemplified my issues of dman transition on this team. Still, allow him to play to his strengths, and maybe he's worth keeping.

Franson: played very well this season. Has specific qualities that I like. I could see a 6-7 man role for him, but would understand if he didn't want that. I've come around a bit on him, but I havent forgotten that speed kills in this league, and that's his biggest weakness.

Also, it's looking more and more like there'll have to be a decision between Larsson and girgensons after this year. Both fill the 3rd line role, don't shine much in a 4th line role, and girgs appears to be out of shots as a top6 lw.

There's A lot of questions to answer in the next 3 months.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I wonder if there are any defensemen on other teams with some term left that losing teams would be willing to part with. I'm thinking a Georges type situation, only a better player. Or perhaps another young and underachieving D like Bogosian was. I'd even take a borderline press box/AHL D if there's some potential. Give me some lotto balls for D slots next year, because even an amazing, to-flight FA signing leaves us with a bad situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad