Cory Conacher
Yanni Gourde
Joel Vermin
Adam Erne
Michael Bournival
Jake Dotchin
Gabriel Dumont
Luke Witkowski

Are these players eligible for the AHL playoffs?

Brayden Point
Connor Ingram
Greg McKegg
Peter Budaj

Thanks.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Devils fan here.

I see Syracuse will get back:

Cory Conacher
Yanni Gourde
Joel Vermin
Adam Erne
Michael Bournival
Jake Dotchin
Gabriel Dumont
Luke Witkowski

Are these players eligible for the AHL playoffs?

Brayden Point
Connor Ingram
Greg McKegg
Peter Budaj

Thanks.

I don't think Witkowski will be, he wasn't assigned to Syracuse before the playoff roster submission like Dotchin, Dumont and Erne were. McKegg wasn't either and we have enough veteran forwards as well. Budaj isn't going down. Ingram is eligible but won't see the ice, if he does we are in trouble. Point wasn't sent down like the others so to me would seem like he's ineligible. Sucks because he could've really helped the Crunch but he had a good rookie year in the NHL so not too much to gain from the AHL it seems. Maybe he can be selected to team Canada's WC roster since he was a WJC captain he probably has some support up there.

CuseTruth

Mar 23, 2016
Let's bring this thread to life. The crunch have a solid team. You bolts fan can get some satisfaction rooting on and talking about the the Calder cup run this team can go on. As a Syracuse native who lived in Tampa for five years I have a fondness for the lightning. I'm a season ticket holder for the crunch, and that's where my affiliation lies as my NHL team is the Buffalo Sabres.

The Crunch are the kings of the north, securing home Ice in the first 2 rounds as they Regained first place during last game of reg season. They sat atop the north division most of the year, but slipped out over the last few weeks with all the call ups. It is actually quite amazing that they managed as well this year with a constantly changing roster as a result of moves between clubs. For many games they played with 9 defenseman and had about 5-6 players who started season in ECHL.

The team is firing on all cylinders right now, winning 4 straight heading into playoffs. The boys who helped your push at end of season are crucial to making a deep run in Cuse. The only downfall is they have to play first 2 games on the road because of travel distance between Syracuse and St. johns newfoundland. They will come home and have the final 3 games if necessary in Cuse. The the game day rosters should be interesting as coach has many options but several players are vets so all can't play. Howden is certainly making a case for himself to stay in lineup.

I have lots of insight into your prospects. I haven't posted much but I having a earning for crunch chatter and there really isn't any place that I know of besides this board. All discussion is welcomed and encouraged. Thanks and Let's go Crunch! #Fin15h

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
The team is stacked. However, don't understand Groulx's love for Brodeur and it seems at the expense of Blujus. First game of the playoffs will reveal how far Blujus is down on the depth chart since he sat two of the last three games of the season. Sitting down a 2nd rounder in Blujus in favor of a ECHL pylon will leave a bad taste in my mouth. This is the exact kind of development step stone our prospects need.

Stephens could also be available after tomorrow's London vs Erie game. I'm thinking Erie clinches the series tomorrow and Stephens could be available for Wednesday's game against St. Johns. Stephens has been playing a lot on the wing this past season ... and this Crunch team is pretty stacked everywhere ... would think in terms of development that Stephens would have to play. Just not sure who would sit.

Another thing to watch ... we have just about everyone healthy which means we have too many way too good AHL centers to sit. Gourde, Peca, Richard, Dumont, and Froese. All those centers could be called #1 centers in the AHL.

This team is going to be sick to watch ... can't wait for Wednesday.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Who are we playing?

St. John's, Montréal's affiliate. They're the worst team in the east and 2nd worst overall to make the playoffs. So we should advance even if we have to be on the road the first 2 games.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Let's bring this thread to life. The crunch have a solid team. You bolts fan can get some satisfaction rooting on and talking about the the Calder cup run this team can go on. As a Syracuse native who lived in Tampa for five years I have a fondness for the lightning. I'm a season ticket holder for the crunch, and that's where my affiliation lies as my NHL team is the Buffalo Sabres.

The Crunch are the kings of the north, securing home Ice in the first 2 rounds as they Regained first place during last game of reg season. They sat atop the north division most of the year, but slipped out over the last few weeks with all the call ups. It is actually quite amazing that they managed as well this year with a constantly changing roster as a result of moves between clubs. For many games they played with 9 defenseman and had about 5-6 players who started season in ECHL.

The team is firing on all cylinders right now, winning 4 straight heading into playoffs. The boys who helped your push at end of season are crucial to making a deep run in Cuse. The only downfall is they have to play first 2 games on the road because of travel distance between Syracuse and St. johns newfoundland. They will come home and have the final 3 games if necessary in Cuse. The the game day rosters should be interesting as coach has many options but several players are vets so all can't play. Howden is certainly making a case for himself to stay in lineup.

I have lots of insight into your prospects. I haven't posted much but I having a earning for crunch chatter and there really isn't any place that I know of besides this board. All discussion is welcomed and encouraged. Thanks and Let's go Crunch! #Fin15h

Welcome! I'm so happy for you guys. I always feel bad when our team has to make so many call ups so I'm glad it didn't wreck the Crunch's season. Here's hoping for a deep run!

CuseTruth

Mar 23, 2016
I could see Thomas and Blujus being the 7th defender, as coach feels confident in Brodeur. I know Brodeur isn't a prospect for the bolts but he has actually been a solid defender, although he is slow footed and not very offensively minded. He has a simple game with good positioning and tremulous length and coverage. He had one of the top +/- for a good stretch of the season. I bet we dress 7 D. I see Dotchin, Koekkoek, taormina, masin, Thomas, Blujus and Brodeur in the lineup.

You bring up a great point about centers. Odd man out could be Richard, but his face off ability is hard to ignore. One will most likely have to switch over to wing. I thought we would see a playoff lineup the last couple games but coach opted to rest players instead. The lines have been so fluid all year players should have played with most everyone already, but would have liked to seen a preview of lines that will role out. I see gourde, dumont, Erne, peca, vermin, bournival, conacher, froese, condra, mcginn, Richard and howden.

If his scratches on the last game are any indication, it looks like McKenna will start in net. He was downright bad immediately after we traded Wilcox for him but he has found his form and has been playing much better lately. gudlevskis is certainly capable of starting a game, but he's been even more inconsistent.

That leave healthy scratches of Halmo, lynch, Kurtz, yan, ikonen, on forward. Racine and comrie who are defensemne but played many or most games as forwards, and hajek as D scratches. Walcott, who is dman playing forward is still recovering from broken wrist. Connor Ingram only dressed one game, the finale, if I recall correctly. As far as juniors finishing up, it will be a tough time to crack such a formidable lineup. I don't follow the junior players much outside of what I read on the prospect thread, but if Stephens or any others bolster the roster I'm all for it, just not sure at who's expense.

CuseTruth

Mar 23, 2016
St johns is a big, physical team that plays gritty and dirty. The crunch split 4 games apiece with them, although I think the crunch won the season series in points. The travel to " the rock" is not easy and they should have a large rowdy crowd as the team is leaving st johns at end of season and no replacement in place. We should be ale to neutralize their size with our speed and skill. Also, we can play gritty and physical as well, indicated by the crunch leading the league in penalty minutes. With Montreal in the playoffs, I think they have some of their skilled players up, but they have a 30 goal scorer on their team and another with 27.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I could see Thomas and Blujus being the 7th defender, as coach feels confident in Brodeur. I know Brodeur isn't a prospect for the bolts but he has actually been a solid defender, although he is slow footed and not very offensively minded. He has a simple game with good positioning and tremulous length and coverage. He had one of the top +/- for a good stretch of the season. I bet we dress 7 D. I see Dotchin, Koekkoek, taormina, masin, Thomas, Blujus and Brodeur in the lineup.

You bring up a great point about centers. Odd man out could be Richard, but his face off ability is hard to ignore. One will most likely have to switch over to wing. I thought we would see a playoff lineup the last couple games but coach opted to rest players instead. The lines have been so fluid all year players should have played with most everyone already, but would have liked to seen a preview of lines that will role out. I see gourde, dumont, Erne, peca, vermin, bournival, conacher, froese, condra, mcginn, Richard and howden.

If his scratches on the last game are any indication, it looks like McKenna will start in net. He was downright bad immediately after we traded Wilcox for him but he has found his form and has been playing much better lately. gudlevskis is certainly capable of starting a game, but he's been even more inconsistent.

That leave healthy scratches of Halmo, lynch, Kurtz, yan, ikonen, on forward. Racine and comrie who are defensemne but played many or most games as forwards, and hajek as D scratches. Walcott, who is dman playing forward is still recovering from broken wrist. Connor Ingram only dressed one game, the finale, if I recall correctly. As far as juniors finishing up, it will be a tough time to crack such a formidable lineup. I don't follow the junior players much outside of what I read on the prospect thread, but if Stephens or any others bolster the roster I'm all for it, just not sure at who's expense.

Too much depth on the forward group to dress 7D. I really liked the Masin / Blujus pairing ... especially since Masin has really upped his game from the beggining of the season; completely different player. With Dotchin coming back that gives us 3 lefties and 3 righties ... Dotchin slots well to replace Brodeur. So you have Koekkoek / Dotchin on the first pair. Masin / Blujus on the second pair and Taormina / Thomas on the third pair. That is a mobile, fast, puck-moving group that can keep up with the forwards on this team. Brodeur sticks out like a sore thumb if you are going to put him with any of the four lines in this forward group - he just can't keep up with the up and down pace. Not playing Brodeur also frees up a veteran slot on the game day roster which should prove to be more valuable.

With regards to the center group ... Gourde has played the most wing. However, he is now probably our best center. If Stephens comes back I'd be in favor of playing him instead of Vermin for example. Vermin has signed with a team in Europe and does not look to have a future with the team anyways. Stephens coming back is a late first rounder with a pro body to fit his pro style of play. Kid should fit straight into a role with Syracuse like Howden has.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
From the Montreal board, expected lines. This seems like a one scoring line team.

The second line has some skill but its not really a scoring line - De La Rose has the reputation for being a defensive Center so maybe this is their matchup line. The two bottom lines are very meh. Sucks to play against Farnham ... dude is a pia to play against.

Juulsen should be available ... no word yet on him playing in this series yet. Sergachev is playing in Memorial Cup so he won't be available for the series either. McCarron is up on the big boy team. Honestly surprised how bare the Montreal system is at St. Johns.

Hudon - Terry - Scherbak
Matteau - DLR - Friberg
Veilleux - Audette - Farnham
MacMillan - Eisenschmid - Gregoire

Broll, Camara, Petti, Asselin

Brouillette - Redmond
Hanley - Lernout
Lowe - Didier

Johnston, Parisi

Lindgren
Danis

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We really should roll them 3 - 0. With them being at home I can see them winning one there but we should end it in 4 at most. From there it's gonna be tough but the team should be strong enough to make the conference final at least.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
To those in the know:

What are the Crunchs odds of winning it all?

Who will be the biggest threats to stop them?

How does this team look in comparison to 2011-2013 teams?

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
To those in the know:

What are the Crunchs odds of winning it all?

Who will be the biggest threats to stop them?

How does this team look in comparison to 2011-2013 teams?

Too early to tell with regards to odds. Here are some of the question marks:

First, the Crunch have a very young yet talented blue line. We feature two first year pros (Masin and Thomas) and Dotchin, Koekkoek, and Blujus are all 23. Koekkoek is the only one to have any significant playoff experience. Off the top of my head not sure about Taormina, I think he may have been on the Syracuse Crunch team that went to the finals but not the Norfolk team (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Next, we have unproven goaltending ... safe to say Gudlevskis is a bust and McKenna is sporting a 2.87 GAA and .901 S% with the Crunch. Tokarski had a decent 2.2? GAA and .91? S% in those Norfolk years. McKenna was better to end the season, but this is a huge question mark ... he is going to have to raise his level for the Crunch to have a chance starting in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Third, should things get ugly and chippy we really have little in terms of fighting and protection. The Norfolk teams had Gudas, Cote, Witkowski, Angelidis, Panik ... and Lebrie / Paridis used to just run around crushing anything that moves (fun times). Those were some punishing teams you don't mess with combined with lethal speed and top end skill.

Fourth, we have good AHL talent ... but do we have a Johnson, Palat, Killorn, and Panik playing in the AHL right now? I mean Conacher scored 80 points down there as a 21 year old. Johnson was 21, Palat was 20, Killorn was 21, etc when they won the championship. I think we may have a crop like this or better once Raddysh, Joseph, Stephens, Howden, Katchouk, Cirelli, Hajek, Cernak, etc get up here and in their second / third seasons ... but this year? We might have better overall skill depth and speed ... but we definetely don't have the same top end skill nor the grit and heavies to punish opponents in a 7 game series.

So ... some random thoughts. I think they can go far ... but still some very real question marks.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
Jeremy Houghtaling‏
@JGHoughtaling
Practice lines look like:
Bournival-Dumont-Vermin
Erne-Gourde-Conacher
McGinn-Peca-Condra
Howden-Froese-Lynch
Kurtz-Richard-Halmo

Players not making trip to St Johns: Ingram, Yan, Hajek, Comrie, Ikonen and Walcott.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Jeremy Houghtaling‏
@JGHoughtaling
Practice lines look like:
Bournival-Dumont-Vermin
Erne-Gourde-Conacher
McGinn-Peca-Condra
Howden-Froese-Lynch
Kurtz-Richard-Halmo

Players not making trip to St Johns: Ingram, Yan, Hajek, Comrie, Ikonen and Walcott.

Surprised Richard is not gonna draw in ... and they have Lynch in there. Dem lines look good tho. It might get more interesting after tonight ... hoping Stephens gets a crack at playing in the playoffs

CuseTruth

Mar 23, 2016
Interesting to see Richard slotted in fifth line. Wonder if crunch dress 7th Dman or extra forward, most likely Richard for faceoff ability. Good points were mentioned about the physical aspect with this type of lineup. Basically dotchin is the muscle and that's it. Erne, mcginn and others will mix it up but no true enforcer, protector or tone setter. We better be prepared to block shots and out score opponents with the way the goalie situation has been. I just don't trust McKenna at this point.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
Interesting to see Richard slotted in fifth line. Wonder if crunch dress 7th Dman or extra forward, most likely Richard for faceoff ability. Good points were mentioned about the physical aspect with this type of lineup. Basically dotchin is the muscle and that's it. Erne, mcginn and others will mix it up but no true enforcer, protector or tone setter. We better be prepared to block shots and out score opponents with the way the goalie situation has been. I just don't trust McKenna at this point.

I wouldn’t put a 1-5 number on those practice lines. I’d call that Erne-Gourde-Conacher line the #1 line. It just shows what great options Grouix has. If Froese and Howden are 4th line guys and Richard can’t crack the lineup that indicates amazing forward depth and skill. If they don’t make a run it will be because of goalies, or maybe Dmen.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Playoffs start tonight boys....Go Crunch! Anyone else catching the stream tonight besides me? Also wtf...why hasn't Stephens reported yet. And where is Katchouk...we gotta sign him and bring him in to be a part of the run. Yzerman and a Brisbois on vacation?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Playoffs start tonight boys....Go Crunch! Anyone else catching the stream tonight besides me? Also wtf...why hasn't Stephens reported yet. And where is Katchouk...we gotta sign him and bring him in to be a part of the run. Yzerman and a Brisbois on vacation?

Katchouk got signed, didn't he? Thought I read that on twitter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad