GDT: 2017 Syracuse Crunch Playoffs

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't followed the AHL or our prospects that much aside from a few of the ones who came up to play with the Lightning this season. These Calder Cup finals are the first AHL games I've watched. Which is partly why I never comment on the prospects/AHL threads. :P

But who is this Ben Thomas guy??

Tonight Koekoek was solid, Dotchin was okay, Taormina was awesome, but Thomas seemed to be everywhere and doing very good things!

Where is he in his development? Years away from playing NHL? Possible roster addition from training camp??

He was our 4th round pick in 2014. It's his first full season in the ahl. He stood out a lot in the playoffs. My guess is he will be back in the ahl next year and if he keeps impressing and is playing responsible D he will get a call up sooner than later. He's RHD and has some offense to his game. Something we need.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
The biggest question on Thomas is how his poor lateral agility translates to the NHL, look towards Masin as a counter comparison. If he improves that area of his game, he's already NHL caliber everywhere else.

I wonder how our D corp looks next season. We look like we'll be crowded on the right side.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
He was our 4th round pick in 2014. It's his first full season in the ahl. He stood out a lot in the playoffs. My guess is he will be back in the ahl next year and if he keeps impressing and is playing responsible D he will get a call up sooner than later. He's RHD and has some offense to his game. Something we need.

The biggest question on Thomas is how his poor lateral agility translates to the NHL, look towards Masin as a counter comparison. If he improves that area of his game, he's already NHL caliber everywhere else.

I wonder how our D corp looks next season. We look like we'll be crowded on the right side.

Many thanks for the info. I'm gonna have to keep a closer eye on the AHL next season.

So our AHL RHD are Dotchin, Koekkoek, Thomas and Blujus with Dotchin and Koekkoek the only ones with NHL time. Blujus had some injury issues, right? I seem to remember people mentioning that as a reason for his delayed development.

It's good to be crowded on the right side defense! Glad Yzerman loves to grab decent prospects/draft picks. :D

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Many thanks for the info. I'm gonna have to keep a closer eye on the AHL next season.

So our AHL RHD are Dotchin, Koekkoek, Thomas and Blujus with Dotchin and Koekkoek the only ones with NHL time. Blujus had some injury issues, right? I seem to remember people mentioning that as a reason for his delayed development.

It's good to be crowded on the right side defense! Glad Yzerman loves to grab decent prospects/draft picks. :D

Koekkoek plays the left side and Dotchin I am expecting to be on the main roster. However, we get Spencer and Cernak next year to add to Thomas and Blujus, and depending on how Macleod turns out he'll be there eventually as well once he's fulfilled his NCAA obligations.

Organizationally, we are much thinner on the left side. Koekkoek should be in the NHL soon, leaving Masin as our only top 4 D before Hajek joins him.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Koekkoek plays the left side and Dotchin I am expecting to be on the main roster. However, we get Spencer and Cernak next year to add to Thomas and Blujus, and depending on how Macleod turns out he'll be there eventually as well once he's fulfilled his NCAA obligations.

Organizationally, we are much thinner on the left side. Koekkoek should be in the NHL soon, leaving Masin as our only top 4 D before Hajek joins him.

Duh, that's right. I knew Koekkoek played LD, most of the time paired with Dotchin during the Calder Cup playoffs. Brain dead moment. :facepalm:

If that pairing carries their AHL playoff chemistry through training camp, it will be interesting to see how that affects the defensive pairs for next season.

Sorry, for getting a bit off topic. I should probably have taken these questions to the Roster Discussion thread. lol

Congrats to the Crunch for an amazing season!! :handclap:

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Huge congrats to the Crunch for this season, sucks that it didn't go all the way but they did an amazing job and it's going to be awesome to follow all of them going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad