GDT: 2017 Syracuse Crunch Playoffs

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Is there word of them improving the quality?

I found a better stream for free elsewhere.

Nothing ... been like that since I started watching AHL hockey. If you have a better quality feed ... post it on the Reddit NHL Hockey streams site.

CuseTruth

Mar 23, 2016
Huge win. Team looked sloppy at times. Too many turn overs. STJ plays a very physical game, which is speeding the the passes up and crunch just aren't clicking yet. Hopefully they can get rolling on all cylinders before its too late. Erne was bulldozed on a hit that he didn't see coming. I'd be surprised if he plays Friday. All the signs of concussion. Surprised Ikonen was in lineup. Not surprised about Broduer. But man, lack of grit and physicality is evident. Although looked like Dotchin was purposely avoiding extra circular action after whistles. STJ certainly were going after him and trying to draw him in. McKenna had some big timely saves as well.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Really no excuse for AHL feeds to be that bad considering USL, a minor soccer league that definitely has less revenue than them, puts this quality out on YouTube for free.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
There was a comment about the other arena being empty and for the heck of it last night I looked to see what tickets were still available for tonight and literally 80% of the arena was unsold. And without seeing the game I think I can safely assume the Crunch will draw in at least 4,000 or more tonight. I look for tomorrow's game and same thing about 80% of the arena is unsold. Yet they'll probably pull 4,000 or more tomorrow.

So I'm curious... how much do the Crunch rely real heavily on people just walking up that night to the ticket office? It's gotta be a lot because the Crunch draw very well

CuseTruth

Mar 23, 2016
In regards to attendance, I'm not sure where the 80% came from. I'd say season ticket holders fill half the arena in a nightly basis. Tonight's game was 75-80% full. 5400 plus people at game. I was a little disappointed with the turnout but it was the diehard, rowdy type of crowd that gets the place rocking. It was a fun game. Regular season sellouts usually only happen when Utica, which is about 1 hour away plays in Cuse. Before Wednesday game I thought the crowd would be more like tonight's crowd, and tonight's game be closer to sellout. Hopefully more casual fans start to fill the seats.

CuseTruth

Mar 23, 2016
As for game action, glad that series is over. STJ is a big physical team that will wear players down. I think we escaped the series without any major injuries and have until next Friday to rest up. McKenna the goalie again was the best player for 2nd straight game. He bailed the team out and many occasions. 3 breakaway saves. The crunch took too many penalties. On the 7th and final one with under 5 mins to go they final gave up a goal to tie game at 1-1. Overtime crunch pounced from the drop and cashed in in about 2:30. Notable players were Erne, Peca, Condra, Dumont. Koekkoek and Ditching stood out as well. Hope they can keep the momentum going, as they haven't been a great team after having a week between games. It will be nice to have first 2 games if next series at home and back to traditional format with 2-2-1-1-1

Sir

Sep 24, 2016
Really no excuse for AHL feeds to be that bad considering USL, a minor soccer league that definitely has less revenue than them, puts this quality out on YouTube for free.

Lurker here:

About 6 or 7 years ago, USL included verbiage in their franchise agreements which provided bonus payments in the case a USL franchise was selected as part of the MLS expansion.

Orlando City's MLS bid netted USL between 2 and 3 mil. Combined with a number of other clubs who used the USL pathway to MLS, they've brought in more $$$ than people realize. A lot of that has been added to personnel and infrastructure; their media dept has more than tripled in the last 5 years.

I don't know the AHL revenue numbers, but their media piece is still behind USL in 2012, so the point is still valid.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Wow I hadn't considered that. In that case, they've spent their windfall wisely. :)

I do still assume ticket and sponsorship wise, the AHL has to be a bit stronger. Plus they've had such a head start.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
There are teams in the PDL which is the 4th division of Soccer and part of the almost defunct NASL with better quality feeds streaming on youtube. There really is no excuse ... he AHL streaming service is a terrible product.

USL is very forward looking ... check out this article regarding USL Productions which was the result of a $10 Million investment into media content for the 2nd and upcoming 3rd division of Soccer in the US: http://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/642186?related-697413

Sir

Sep 24, 2016
There are teams in the PDL which is the 4th division of Soccer and part of the almost defunct NASL with better quality feeds streaming on youtube. There really is no excuse ... he AHL streaming service is a terrible product.

USL is very forward looking ... check out this article regarding USL Productions which was the result of a $10 Million investment into media content for the 2nd and upcoming 3rd division of Soccer in the US: http://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/642186?related-697413

Yeah, I didn't mean to distract from the main point which is that the AHL is incredibly far behind. And you're spot on with the PDL comparison - it's all about minimum standards and USL realized how important the streaming quality is to the overall presentation of the league. The partnership with MLS has paid off not only in establishing legitimacy over NASL, but it also provided access to expertise and relationships which have propelled USL to the next level.

The progress USL has made in 10 years is incredible given that between 07-10 they went through a change of ownership, mass exodus of their better clubs from USL League 1 to create rival league NASL, and relied on their dwindling summer youth league program as the high net income generator. The AHL could benefit from a visit to Westshore Blvd.

Last edited:

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
We playing the Marlies in a few days ... anyone got a scoop on this team?

Their top two lines look pretty good ... and they did beat the Crunch the last three times the teams faced each other. There are some caveats though ... March 26th we played with a roster that included Racine, Kurtz, Comrie as we dressed 8 defensemen and 10 forwards. Notables missing from that roster ... Vermin, Gourde, Dumont, Dotchin, Erne, and Howden. We lost that game 4 - 0. Looks like Marlies had a full roster for that one including Kapanen.

Then we played a Friday/Saturday back to back and lost both games in OT / Shootout. Scores were 3 - 2 on both nights. The March 31st roster we played with a roster that included 9 Defensemen and 9 Forwards. The April 1st roster included a lineup that was still missing Vermin, Gourde, Dumont, Dotchin, Erne, Howden and Froese was injured for this matchup.

...Marlies were missing Kapanen from their roster for the back to back games and he played on the March 26th bout. Marlies are gonna face a completely different team. And by the looks of it from how close it was even playing extremely short handed ... the style of play and systems should favor the Crunch. I can't wait for this matchup ... still think we are lacking on the physical side as this Marlies team has a lot more balance in the skill / speed / physicality department than the St. Johns team we just got done beating.

CuseTruth

Mar 23, 2016
Can't wait for tomorrow night. Early in the season the crunch played with a roster that more closely resembles their current one, and the the crunch beat the Marlies in the first 3 games and lost the forth in OT on a sat night Sunday afternoon turnaround in Toronto. The Marlies scored the most goals in the division this year, while giving up the fewest or close to it. The two teams match up pretty similar skill wise. The difference will co e down to goaltending. If McKenna plays like he did in the first round and our D punish some of the skilled players it will be a fun series. Crunch have been notoriously bad after a week between games. Hopefully they come out flying and laying the wood down. Walcott is expected to be ready. He's not a great offensive weapon but I think he'll be in the lineup if he's available. Heard Bowden was practicing with Gourde and Conacher earlier this week on the first line. Maybe the boy will get those 2 producing more than 2 points this series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad