Speculation: 2017 NHL Draft Thread.

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
Michael Rasmussen looks good at #7. 6ft 05.75in 215lbs and has improved since last year but has a way worse plus minus category but he has done amazing in the point categories.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
Man more I look at Pettersson the more underrated he looks. Great numbers in Allsvenskan, super high IQ, if he could put some meat on he could be a beast.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Michael Rasmussen looks good at #7. 6ft 05.75in 215lbs and has improved since last year but has a way worse plus minus category but he has done amazing in the point categories.

I mean, we could REALLY use some help on the PP, but I'm VERY skeptical of players that rely that heavily on PP production to put up their stats. Generally speaking that drops way off once they get to the pros.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013

MD

Dec 1, 2009
NC
I'm a big fan of Mittelstadt. I think he'd be a great pick for us if we're in that range.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
Francis does like to roll the dice on college players. Read an article about Zach Aston-Reese the other day, probably a long shot to sign with the Canes but he seems pretty legit.

Yes, read that. Would be a good addition, if we could manage it.
As far as the draft goes, we have some very tough opponents lined up for this last stretch. Could see us easily falling into 5th or 6th place and staying there. Not too much hope for a higher finish unless they play extraordinarily well.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
A skilled player who plays on the Spokane Chiefs is Jaret Anderson-Dolan. He's somebody I think we should keep our eye on for a late 2nd/early 3rd round flyer if we have the pick. He plays with our very own Hudson Elynuik.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
A skilled player who plays on the Spokane Chiefs is Jaret Anderson-Dolan. He's somebody I think we should keep our eye on for a late 2nd/early 3rd round flyer if we have the pick. He plays with our very own Hudson Elynuik.

I wish we had another pick in the area Yamamoto will go. I've seen him a couple of times and seems really skilled and fun to watch.

I wonder if we'll be able to snag one of the top college UFAs by offering playing time this year. Francis seems to try and pick up one a year.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I wish we had another pick in the area Yamamoto will go. I've seen him a couple of times and seems really skilled and fun to watch.

I wonder if we'll be able to snag one of the top college UFAs by offering playing time this year. Francis seems to try and pick up one a year.

I believe that Yamamoto, Elynuik, and Anderson-Dolan all play on the same line. They are the top 3 scorers for Spokane.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Sort of a lazy Saturday morning and I came across this info, mostly apropos of nothing....

Canes Draft Order Today (3/11) - 1st three rounds

1st Round

Pick #8

2nd Round

Pick #39
Pick #57
Pick #59

3rd Round

Pick #66
Pick #70
Pick #85

That 1st round pick could put us in the Owen Tippett, Cody Glass, Elias Petersson range.

Three pretty nice American products will be there in the 2nd round: Jason Robertson, Josh Norris, and Scott Reedy. Liam Hawel is a guy with both size, skill, and skating. Big guys like Entistle and Ratcliffe may both be on the board in the mid-second round. There will be a few goalie prospects, but I'd wait until the 3rd round for one of them.

Third round's a crap shoot but there should be a number of interesting guys at goalie, RHD, and guys with size. Keep an eye on Keith Petruzzelli who is a hulk of a USHL goalie. He may go sooner. Josh Brook may be there in the 3rd round, good skating RHD. If Aleksi Heponiemi is still there in the 3rd, I'd take him in a heartbeat, small but extremely skilled scorer. Zach Gallant, Steve Lorentz's big teammate with the Petes is another option that will likely be available here as well.

My sense is that we won't use all of our picks on draft day, but if we have 3 or 4 picks across the 2nd and 3rd round there's some talent out there to be had.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I would personally like Petersson if we have a choice of those three

He has great hands, but he may never gain enough weight. He is 6'2", but only 160 lbs. And his older brother, also a hockey player, is about the same at 23 years old...Petersson probably remains thin his whole career. Of the three mentioned, I probably forgo going for the center and pick Tippett.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I would personally like Petersson if we have a choice of those three

He has great hands, but he may never gain enough weight. He is 6'2", but only 160 lbs. And his older brother, also a hockey player, is about the same at 23 years old...Petersson probably remains thin his whole career. Of the three mentioned, I probably forgo going for the center and pick Tippett.

I'd probably go with Cody Glass who some have as high at Top 5 and others have in the teens.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I've now seen a couple of player rating services that now have Nico Hischier as the #1 prospect in this upcoming draft. Cody Glass has risen into the top 10 or even the top 5 in a few as well. The rest of the Top 10 outside of Patrick is all over the map.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
There are a few 2nd year eligible guys that I think we should keep an eye on.

The first is Dylan Coghlan, a RHD with good size, good skating and growing offensive abilities. He could stand to add a little strength, but he is something of a late bloomer. He's put up 15 goals and 53 points for Tri-City in the WHL.

Another guy to keep an eye on is Jack Adams (not that Jack Adams). He's a RW with size who has grown about 5 inches in the last two years. He's just now learning how to manage all that length. He's worked very hard on his skating, has excellent hands, and a quick release. He's notched 30 goals and 51 points for Fargo of the USHL and is off to Union College next Fall.

Finally, there's Morgan Geekie, another WHL guy playing for Tri-City. He's a right-handed centerman (and RW) who has put up 35 goals and 90 points this season. He's 6'2" but only weighs in at about 170 lbs. He's a hard worker with a very good shot. I'm not sure I see him on the board after the 3rd round.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
What are the chances Yamamoto falls into the range of the first 2nd rounder?

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
What are the chances Yamamoto falls into the range of the first 2nd rounder?

Could happen but his draft stock continues to rise. He's the real deal.

There are 3 "smallish" guys that are super skilled: Yamamoto, Nick Suzuki, and Aleski Heponiemi. Suzuki is a borderline 1st rounder and the fast rising Heponiemi (all 147 pounds of him) might be the most skilled of the bunch.

I've seen Yamamoto ranked anywhere from #29 to #14. Nick Suzuki seems to be solidly in the mid-20's range (20-28 on the rankings I've seen). And Heponiemi seems to be mostly in the late 2nd to early 3rd round.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Could happen but his draft stock continues to rise. He's the real deal.

There are 3 "smallish" guys that are super skilled: Yamamoto, Nick Suzuki, and Aleski Heponiemi. Suzuki is a borderline 1st rounder and the fast rising Heponiemi (all 147 pounds of him) might be the most skilled of the bunch.

I've seen Yamamoto ranked anywhere from #29 to #14. Nick Suzuki seems to be solidly in the mid-20's range (20-28 on the rankings I've seen). And Heponiemi seems to be mostly in the late 2nd to early 3rd round.

I'm trying to remember, and I'm sure it varies a bit by source, but isn't Aho they only player under 6'0 they've taken thus far under Francis in the draft? I'd be down with any of those, and I'm sure there's a level of skill where they'd take a guy regardless, but I think they've touted that fact a good bit too. I would love Yamamoto, but I don't think he'll be in our range unless something changes with the picks we have. Suzuki seems like quite the riser. I haven't seen him, but everything you read makes him seem like a massive riser, which are often good bets. Heponiemi seems like the one we'd have the best chance to get in the second round, if we are interested.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I just participated in a 2-round Mock draft (no trades) as the Canes GM. Here is who I picked:

Round 1, 14th Overall - Eeli Tolvanen, RW Sioux City (USHL)
Round 2, 44th Overall - Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen, G HPK (FIN)
Round 2, 57th Overall - Nicholas Henry, RW Regina (WHL)
Round 2, 60th Overall - Luke Martin, RHD Michigan (NCAA)

What do you guys think?

Draft Link

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Not bad, definitely like the Martin pick at the end of the 2nd. He was getting some hype last year but seemingly dropped off the radar a good bit in college because he was on a bad Michigan team. Would be a very Brett Pesce-esque type selection.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad