Speculation: 2017 NHL Draft Thread.

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
I haven't watched him, but every report I have seen has said that Chychrun has been great in Phoenix and will likely stick on the roster. Could see this being a big miss for the Canes in picking Bean over him.

It's quite telling how much we've missed in the first round, but can draft tremendously from the 2nd round on. With eliminating the obvious pick of Hanifin and the surprise pick of Skinner that worked out well, here's our 1st round picks from 2008.

2008: Boychuck
2009: Paradis
2011: Murphy
2013: Lindholm
2014: Fleury

08, 09, and 11 were flops. We definitely reached on Lindholm, but we will know by how much may be next year or so. Then there's Fleury, wasn't a bad pick, this was when we needed Dmen, but how much better would this team be with Nylander.

Not a great track record with drafting the so called best chances to make the NHL picks. As for 2016, I felt like if we were going to draft a Dmen in the first Chychrun was going to be the guy. That picked just seemed like a canes pick. Can't remember why he fell though. Hopefully our track record will change with Bean and Gauthier, but thank god this organization can draft well in the later rounds.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Lindholm was in no way, shape, or form a reach. I have no idea where you came up with that one. You can question our decision to rush him and his development since the draft, but a reach? Nah, he was a legitimate top 5-7 prospect that year.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Yes, the consensus was either Lindholm or Monahan at that spot. Clearly we picked wrong, but it wasn't out of line with what most people thought.

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
Lindholm was in no way, shape, or form a reach. I have no idea where you came up with that one. You can question our decision to rush him and his development since the draft, but a reach? Nah, he was a legitimate top 5-7 prospect that year.

May be reach was the wrong word there, more so the wrong pick. I meant reached by where he would rank in a few years with players during that draft year. I do agree with rushing him in the NHL was the wrong move. However, wasn't he in the SHL and playing pretty well? Would another year there make a difference. The AHL probably would have helped him adjust to the playing style better though.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I feel like even with the concerns that people had, Chychrun was always probably going to be more NHL ready than Bean. Do we really need another super young dman in the lineup right now though? We may end up regretting it, but Bean was always going to be a long term investment. And that actually fits what we need pretty well at this point.

As for Lindholm, I don't know what his deal is. I don't subscribe to the fact that you can't get your act together even if you were put in a bad situation early. He may very well even do like last year and play better after a rough start. But he can't seem to put anything together consistently.

Hopefully Fleury will work out as a player or trade bait here in due time. But everyone says this is why you should take BPA and not reach (which they may have just liked Fleury over those fowards), but then they do that with Bean and most people complained about that.

Also, I agree our first rounders have been a mixed bag recently, but it seems unfair to eliminate Hanifin and Skinner from the record for reasons. Hanifin may have seemed obvious, but plenty of times teams make weird, off the board decisions, like say Skinner over those dmen. Skinner was just an outstanding pick.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Even though the points aren't there for Lindholm right now I've thought this is the best he's looked at the start of a season.

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Yes, the consensus was either Lindholm or Monahan at that spot. Clearly we picked wrong, but it wasn't out of line with what most people thought.

It seemed like at the time, the consensus of Hurricanes fans want the to draft Nich. Then when he flopped, people turned their attention to Monahan. I remember reading from hockey pundits that Monahan was considered a safe pick, and that the reason for draft Lindholm was because he could play RW, and We were set down the middle with Staal's.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
Should we decide that we aren't making the playoffs, and I believe we have, then I hope we rest Ward and call someone up or go with Lack. That will almost assure us we are picking top 5 and rest Ward for next year. In years past we should have been doing that instead of working Ward to dust and worsening our draft position for some odd reason.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Should we decide that we aren't making the playoffs, and I believe we have, then I hope we rest Ward and call someone up or go with Lack. That will almost assure us we are picking top 5 and rest Ward for next year. In years past we should have been doing that instead of working Ward to dust and worsening our draft position for some odd reason.

I think it was BBA who laid out Ward's workload and it wasn't really that excessive. The issue with Ward isn't just his low-end mediocrity, it is the timeliness of the softies he gives up. They are almost always back breakers. The Matthews' goal is a case in point. Then add in the unscreened Gardiner goal and it is easy to see why the youngsters get deflated.

I will say that over the last 10 games or so, there's been a distinct increase in the "Chad LaRose" chest-protector shots by this group. Lots of "lets shoot that rebound a little lower to make sure we hit center mass".

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I am not 100% sure if it was Francis or not, but I swear I remember someone in this org saying that their goal was to leave every draft with at least one goalie man

Considering we took two last season I could see us not drafting one this season. With Ned, Altshuller, Booth, LaFontaine, and Helvig all in the system now, this would be the year to skip taking a goalie (although I advocate taking a netminder 3 out of every 4 years). There are a couple of guys that will be out there in the 2nd/3rd/4th rounds that we might look at:

Ukko Pekka-Luukkonen
Mike DiPietro
Jake Oettinger
Cayden Primeau
Keith Petruzzelli

I would think if we did take a flyer this year, we'd almost certainly pass next year.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Considering we took two last season I could see us not drafting one this season. With Ned, Altshuller, Booth, LaFontaine, and Helvig all in the system now, this would be the year to skip taking a goalie (although I advocate taking a netminder 3 out of every 4 years). There are a couple of guys that will be out there in the 2nd/3rd/4th rounds that we might look at:

Ukko Pekka-Luukkonen
Mike DiPietro
Jake Oettinger
Cayden Primeau
Keith Petruzzelli

I would think if we did take a flyer this year, we'd almost certainly pass next year.

can we draft this guy just because of his name pls pls pls

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Speaking of all of those kids, who's gonna be the best, Booth?

That's a tough call. Booth looked good early in the season, but struggled immediately after he was traded to St. John's. He has recaptured his game as of late, however.

Helvig has played solidly for a pretty average Kingston team. Jack LaFontaine is part of a 3 headed goalie group at Michigan, playing for a team that is not particularly good. He's got a solid SV% but a GAA over 3.00.

Right now I'd give Booth the lead, but there's something about LaFontaine that's really interesting.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
in terms of rankings this is how I'd have my top 10 right now:

1 - Nico Hischier
2 - Nolan Patrick
3 - Gabe Vilardi
4 - Tim Liljegren
5 - Casey Mittlestadt
6 - Eeli Tolvainen
7 - Owen Tippett
8 - Martin Necas
9 - Jusso Valimaki
10 - Elias Pettersson

in terms of who I want us to draft though I want absolutely no part of Patrick unless there's an accompanying trade of Rask for someone more skilled, because Patrick is literally more of the same **** we already have that's not getting it done.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
in terms of rankings this is how I'd have my top 10 right now:

1 - Nico Hischier
2 - Nolan Patrick
3 - Gabe Vilardi
4 - Tim Liljegren
5 - Casey Mittlestadt
6 - Eeli Tolvainen
7 - Owen Tippett
8 - Martin Necas
9 - Jusso Valimaki
10 - Elias Pettersson

in terms of who I want us to draft though I want absolutely no part of Patrick unless there's an accompanying trade of Rask for someone more skilled, because Patrick is literally more of the same **** we already have that's not getting it done.

Depends on where teams fall in the draft, I can see Lil going to Detroit. Ideally we get Hischier or Vilardi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad