Speculation: 2017 NHL Draft Thread.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
guys let`s be serious, we will not get top3 pick- it`s gonna be around 5-10 overall and we will get no one who can make a difference right away

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Depends on where teams fall in the draft, I can see Lil going to Detroit. Ideally we get Hischier or Vilardi.

Ideally my preference is Hischier, Vilardi, Mittlestadt. Because **** it, if we're going to roll the dice then let's really roll the dice on Mittlestadt and hope he can live up to the hype, because the hype about everyone else is non-existent.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
guys let`s be serious, we will not get top3 pick- it`s gonna be around 5-10 overall and we will get no one who can make a difference right away

Or we win the lottery, draft Nolan Patrick, becomes the next Patrick Stefan/Yakupov.

Or Vegas will pick like 3rd and we will pick like 4th. Guys drafted 1 through 3 become the next great things while we get screwed by the expansion team, and end with a player that is only an NHL depth player.

We were only allowed to have one nice thing and that was 11 years ago :(

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Ideally my preference is Hischier, Vilardi, Mittlestadt. Because **** it, if we're going to roll the dice then let's really roll the dice on Mittlestadt and hope he can live up to the hype, because the hype about everyone else is non-existent.

We will draft Lil. And everyone will be like another Defenseman aahahhahahah

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Now ranked #7 by HockeyProspect.com and up to #14 in ISS Hockey, Cody Glass is a fast riser. He's a 6'2", 180 lbs. right shot centerman who has lit up the WHL this season. He's got 26 goals and 81 points. Glass is smart, a good skater, and excellent with the puck on his stick. From the little I've seen of this guy he appears to be a bigger version of Sebastian Aho. Given that I think we'll be picking between 7 and 10, I'd certainly keep an eye on this guy.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Now ranked #7 by HockeyProspect.com and up to #14 in ISS Hockey, Cody Glass is a fast riser. He's a 6'2", 180 lbs. right shot centerman who has lit up the WHL this season. He's got 26 goals and 81 points. Glass is smart, a good skater, and excellent with the puck on his stick. From the little I've seen of this guy he appears to be a bigger version of Sebastian Aho. Given that I think we'll be picking between 7 and 10, I'd certainly keep an eye on this guy.

Definitely wouldn't be a bad pick, but I think there are guys I'd want more than him no matter where we're drafting, short of a run that takes all the guys we want like last year.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Two other guys that may be there in the 2nd round and beyond when the Canes pick:

Kole Lind - 28 goals and 78 points in 61 WHL games. Needs to muscle up and fill out a bit, but at 6'1", he's an interesting RW prospect.

Nick Henry - another WHL product who plays with Sam Steel on the Regina Pats. Henry's got 31 goals and 74 points in 61 tilts. He'll likely go later than Lind.

Honorable mention: Cale Fleury, Haydn's younger brother. An inch or two shorter but still over 200 lbs, he's another rearguard that seems more offensively inclined than big brother.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Very early and non-sensical prediction:

I think the Canes pick at #11 in the 1st round, #42, #57, #58 (assuming we make all our 2nd round picks), #70, #73, and #84 (if they make all their 3rd round picks). My guess is we will make 5 of those 7 picks and two of our remaining 4th round and later picks. That would be a total of 7 picks in the 2017 draft.

It will be very interesting to see how many new players/prospects we end up with by June 24. I'd be shocked if picks, prospects, and players were not packaged up for better versions.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Very early and non-sensical prediction:

I think the Canes pick at #11 in the 1st round, #42, #57, #58 (assuming we make all our 2nd round picks), #70, #73, and #84 (if they make all their 3rd round picks). My guess is we will make 5 of those 7 picks and two of our remaining 4th round and later picks. That would be a total of 7 picks in the 2017 draft.

It will be very interesting to see how many new players/prospects we end up with by June 24. I'd be shocked if picks, prospects, and players were not packaged up for better versions.

Well, you're right on the non-sensical and early part. But probably not super far off on any of it.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Am I the only who like Nolan Patrick? Ne's not Matthews but i like the size and the playmaking ability, he's leader, strong both with the puck and away from the puck, underrated finisher.

Skinner- Rask- Teravainen
Aho- Staal- Lindholm
Di Giuseppe- Patrick- Gauthier
Wallmark- Roy- Nordstrom
McGinn

Slavin- Faulk
Hanifin- Pesce
Fleury- veteran
McKeown

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Yeah I'm okay with Rask as the 2nd/3rd C but if this team wants consistent playoffs he shouldn't be the #1.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
I think in that scenario Rask would only be the 1C for a year or two. Yes it's a down year and Patrick is no mcdavid or Matthews, but he'd still project to be easily our best center.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I think in that scenario Rask would only be the 1C for a year or two. Yes it's a down year and Patrick is no mcdavid or Matthews, but he'd still project to be easily our best center.

I'm not sold on him being better then Staal or even Rask in the NHL in all honesty. Not saying he'd be a bad pick, but I'd rather roll the dice with Nico who's looking like the more high-end offensive guy.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
I'm not sold on him being better then Staal or even Rask in the NHL in all honesty. Not saying he'd be a bad pick, but I'd rather roll the dice with Nico who's looking like the more high-end offensive guy.

Oh I agree that I'd rather have Hischier. But I think Patrick is really starting to get under sold. This is a bad draft, sure. That doesn't mean that this year's consensus top 2 pick is equal to a second rounder from another draft year though. More like a usual 3-5 overall. Most guys taken at that range should be much better than a guy like Rask or Staal. Of course things can always go wrong with prospects so there's no guarantee

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Oh I agree that I'd rather have Hischier. But I think Patrick is really starting to get under sold. This is a bad draft, sure. That doesn't mean that this year's consensus top 2 pick is equal to a second rounder from another draft year though. More like a usual 3-5 overall. Most guys taken at that range should be much better than a guy like Rask or Staal. Of course things can always go wrong with prospects so there's no guarantee

So, wasn't Staal taken at second overall his year? Not sure how any of these guys "should be much better than a guy like Staal". They could be, but they could be worse, too.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
Yes, which is where the "things can always go wrong with prospects" comes in. Staal is a very solid player, but I'd say things went wrong to some degree compared to what you'd want from a second overall pick. Look at Toews going right behind him. So there's definitely risk involved in any prospect, but I don't see any way Patrick shouldn't be "projected" to be better than Staal. It's like some have resigned themselves already to the probable first overall pick being nothing more than a middle 6er at best because it's a weak draft. I think he'd be comparable to a Draisaitl level player, and most of us would give up Faulk to get that right now.

Although my use of "much" was overdone there

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Whoever they draft in the first round will be unremarkable compared to the people around them like every other year. Then they will draft someone in the second that will end up better than the norm and we won't know who they are. They will have a nice year in 2018 and people will fall in love with him. A few years will pass, no one has gotten better and we're staring at finishing 23rd

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Patrick spends so much time injured its already somewhat of a cause for concern.

That's definitely the main reason I'm wary. I do think he's got a higher upside than Rask and Jordan, but that could be something that keeps him from reaching it. I still would lean towards wanting Hischier just because he probably does represent the potential to be the high skilled forward we need. I hope we're actually in a position to worry about either of these guys after the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad