Speculation: 2017 NHL Draft Thread.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I'm looking forward to the draft and agree with others that just because there aren't the high quality generational talents at the top, it doesn't there won't be solid players found throughout. It'll be interesting to see how the expansion draft affects the normal entry draft trading considering the expansion draft occurs before the entry draft. I'm guessing we'll see more deals during and immediately after the playoffs? Or perhaps during the expansion draft?

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'm looking forward to the draft and agree with others that just because there aren't the high quality generational talents at the top, it doesn't there won't be solid players found throughout. It'll be interesting to see how the expansion draft affects the normal entry draft trading considering the expansion draft occurs before the entry draft. I'm guessing we'll see more deals during and immediately after the playoffs? Or perhaps during the expansion draft?

I would think so as well. I'm sure the NHL won't love deals happening in the playoffs, taking attention away, or whatever. But I think teams that are eliminated or didn't make it will definitely make them happen when they happen and not risk the deal not coming together later.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
If we could grab a later 1st, Isaac Ratcliffe would be a solid grab, if we could get a top 5 pick with Vilardi, we have a very good set of forwards then.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Yes, which is where the "things can always go wrong with prospects" comes in. Staal is a very solid player, but I'd say things went wrong to some degree compared to what you'd want from a second overall pick. Look at Toews going right behind him. So there's definitely risk involved in any prospect, but I don't see any way Patrick shouldn't be "projected" to be better than Staal. It's like some have resigned themselves already to the probable first overall pick being nothing more than a middle 6er at best because it's a weak draft. I think he'd be comparable to a Draisaitl level player, and most of us would give up Faulk to get that right now.

Although my use of "much" was overdone there

Draisaitl+

What you've never been to the main trade board? :sarcasm:

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I'm not sure if it's just me, but I am pretty convinced that Edmonton fans hate us more than Buffalo fans still from 2006. I swear every Canes trade proposal has at least on Oiler fan saying we're overvaluing whoever is being offered.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
What's funny about that, is go back and read what the EDM fans thought Hall and Davidson were worth.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
What's funny about that, is go back and read what the EDM fans thought Hall and Davidson were worth.

I member last week when EDM fans were saying that Pesce was just a right-handed version of Davidson. Guess we can peg Pesce's value at a worthless Cap dump.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
What do you mean? According to them, Larsson is incredibly underrated and was a great pickup, same for DD.

I actually thought, at the time of the trade, that Larsson was a good move for them. HF tends to look strictly at player value when evaluating a trade. (OMG, Hall only got them Larsson!!!). GMs look at how to improve their team. The Oilers without Hall but with Larsson are a better team, no question. I also think Davidson for DD is good for them. Davidson was sitting in the press box and was going to be expansion draft fodder. DD isn't great, but he improves their bottom six.

Still, the Oiler's fans were over the top in their valuations of both players. Hall was in the "untouchable" category right up until that trade...and some Oiler's fans were adding Davidson as a key part of a trade proposal for Faulk.

I guess I shouldn't talk though. If/when Faulk, or Hanifin, or whoever, is traded, we may be in same boat. :laugh:

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I wasn't commenting on the actual value of that trade (which I thought wasn't terrible), moreso on Oilers fans comments leading up to it (as you've pointed out).

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
If we could grab a later 1st, Isaac Ratcliffe would be a solid grab, if we could get a top 5 pick with Vilardi, we have a very good set of forwards then.

He'll likely be available in the 2nd round.

I thought it was Draisaitl for Faulk+ there lol

You from Edmonton bro.:sarcasm:

One a more serious note, ISS came out with their Top 31 for March the other day.

http://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-31-march-2017/

Not a lot of changes but there is some size. I've heard mixed reviews on both Rasmussen and Mittelstadt, and the clips I've seen of them are "highlights" which never show the "low lights".

Right now I'd guess we'll end up picking 10th or 11th. Unless we pick defense again (Valimaki is very good and would be the most Canes pick ever, even if he's a lefty), we'd be looking at a guy like Eeli Tolvanen or reaching a bit for fast rising Cody Glass (who I'd be fine with).

The upshot is this draft is tailor-made for the Canes to package that 1st round pick for young offensive help. I cannot imagine that isn't part of the thought process on Edwards Mill Rd.

MMM

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Do Canes own NJ 3rd in this year's draft?

We're the conditions of the Ruutu trade met? I'm seeing conflicting views on this on the internet.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
We're the conditions of the Ruutu trade met? I'm seeing conflicting views on this on the internet.

Yes, the Canes have that pick. Mike Smith (Canes Web director and reporter) tweeted last year that they definitively have it last year.

Mike Sundheim, Canes PR guy recently tweeted that Canes have it also. These are not "low level employees", these are guys that speak on behalf of the Canes.

[Tweet]836653619902566400[/MEDIA]

Lebrun and Sherry Ross both tweeted out that the Devil's don't have their own 3rd round pick as well, so I think the information out there is pretty consistent. Per both of them, the Devil's have: their own 1st, their own 2nd, Boston's 2nd, Colorado's 3rd, San Jose's 3rd (for hiring DeBoer), their own 4th, Nashville's 4th, their own 5th, their own 6th and their own 7th (which was conditional to Philly or LA

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0620307746360663051-4

Last edited:

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Maybe another Elias?

Another Elias or our first Lias. Either wouldn't be bad.

Digging a little deeper into the draft, an interesting Americans who might be there when our 2nd round picks come around:

Jason Robertson - biggish (6'2", 194 lbs) left wing prospect w/good hands and an excellent shot. Skating is above average, not a strength but also not a liability. His shot has been compared to Owen Tippett's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad