Speculation: 2017 NHL Draft Thread.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Bob's final Draft list has Suzuki at #12.

For reference Bob had Lindholm at #5 (taken by Canes at 5), Fleury at #8 (taken by Canes at 7), Hanifin at #3 (taken by Canes at 5), Bean at #12 (taken by Canes at #13), and Gauthier at #17 (taken by Canes at #21).

He's usually pretty close. *breathing intensifies*

Deep breaths... Sounds like you're getting a little attached. We don't wanna see you suffer any draft day left down.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I actually care less about this draft than I have in awhile. I suppose Suzuki is atop my wishlist, but honestly it's unlikely I'll be disappointed because I just don't care about any of these guys.

Maybe if we reached for Yamamoto it'd make me raise my eyebrows, but other than that I dunno if my expression will change when the pick is made.

I will say I'd prefer a boom or bust type guy, I think that fits the state of our prospect pool a little better, but otherwise I don't really have a preference. Heck, I'd rather take Liljegren if he falls to us.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I actually care less about this draft than I have in awhile. I suppose Suzuki is atop my wishlist, but honestly it's unlikely I'll be disappointed because I just don't care about any of these guys.

Maybe if we reached for Yamamoto it'd make me raise my eyebrows, but other than that I dunno if my expression will change when the pick is made.

I will say I'd prefer a boom or bust type guy, I think that fits the state of our prospect pool a little better, but otherwise I don't really have a preference. Heck, I'd rather take Liljegren if he falls to us.

I care less about this draft than others because I'm not convinced they're even going to use the 1st.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I care less about this draft than others because I'm not convinced they're even going to use the 1st.

There's another aspect of it, too.

I'm having more fun looking at which guys I want with our 3 2nds than the mid-1st guys. I posted this elsewhere, but I want Luke Martin.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I can't get attached to second rounders anymore. I remember how attached I was to Bittner, he was ranked like 22nd and fell to us, I was like we have to take him!? Then we took a guy named Sebastian Aho, on nobodies radar at pick 35.... Whoooo the frick is he?!?

So far Bittner is heading towards being a bust, last season he played 31 in the AHL with a grand total of 3 assists. Never again will I get attached to a player like that lol.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I can't get attached to second rounders anymore. I remember how attached I was to Bittner, he was ranked like 22nd and fell to us, I was like we have to take him!? Then we took a guy named Sebastian Aho, on nobodies radar at pick 35.... Whoooo the frick is he?!?

So far Bittner is heading towards being a bust, last season he played 31 in the AHL with a grand total of 3 assists. Never again will I get attached to a player like that lol.

We've all been there, done that. Mine was Burmistrov in 2010.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Bob's final Draft list has Suzuki at #12.

For reference Bob had Lindholm at #5 (taken by Canes at 5), Fleury at #8 (taken by Canes at 7), Hanifin at #3 (taken by Canes at 5), Bean at #12 (taken by Canes at #13), and Gauthier at #17 (taken by Canes at #21).

He's usually pretty close. *breathing intensifies*

The higher you go in the draft, the more accurate his rankings are. I think he has a great feel for which teams are going to be doing what and makes his draft list accordingly, whether he says so or not. For example, the fact that he has Nico 1st overall makes me think that's the direction the Devils are leaning right now. Having Makar in the Top 4 is as bold as bold comes, because a lot of services have him 7th to late teens. I understand he's a fast riser, but that's meteoric. There must be some good information out there for Bob to go that high with him. One of the things that really shocked me was Cody Glass all the way down at 8th and Rasmussen, who has been considered a faller to a degree, being 9th. Two guys who seemed to be trending in opposite directions side by side here. Tippett at 10th was also encouraging if you're a fan of his, which I am. Suzuki at 12th seems like another information pick. I hate to be one to give false hopes, but that seems like it has us written all over it. Future Considerations has him 19th. McKeens has him 16th. CSS has him 10th as a North American skater, which probably puts him in the 14th-15th range. What to make of Vesalainen, though? I don't know if Carolina would be willing to draft another Finnish forward this high for predictability reasons, but he does check some boxes with size from the wing that we're really lacking. If they feel that they have that sufficiently covered with Roy and Gauthier, it may not be as big of a consideration.

If pressed, this is what my list would look like of what I project that Carolina would do assuming everyone above 9th is gone:

1. Rasmussen
2. Suzuki
3. Tippett

I think the highest player on our board might be the one of these three that makes it to us. With the number of defense prospects available slated to go Top 15, it might not be unreasonable to suspect that more than 1 get there.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Well, it's not really Bob's list as it is a group of scouts that give lists to Bob, so the closer you are to the top of the draft the more accurate the list is going to project to be. You'll still have a good bit of variation involved. For instance the TSN list had McIlrath as #15 as did one other, no other publication had him top 20 and some even had him outright out of the first round entirely. He went #10.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
If pressed, this is what my list would look like of what I project that Carolina would do assuming everyone above 9th is gone:

1. Rasmussen
2. Suzuki
3. Tippett

I think the highest player on our board might be the one of these three that makes it to us. With the number of defense prospects available slated to go Top 15, it might not be unreasonable to suspect that more than 1 get there.

This draft feels an awful lot like one where people are going to reach for the "boom or bust" type of guy. That may explain the slight fall of Glass after his meteoric rise this winter. I will say, if he falls to us, I'd pick him ahead of Suzuki....and I'm a huge Suzuki fan.

My picks that might realistically fall to us would be (in order):

1. Suzuki
2. Vesalainen
3. Rasmussen
4. Liljegren
5. Thomas

I don't think there's any way that Tippett, Glass, Mittelstadt, or Vilardi drop. There was a rumor early in the Spring that Francis was enamored of Robert Thomas, so I started digging in to the guy. More playmaker than shooter, he played all up and down the lineup for London. Great vision and playmaking skills. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ronnie go "safe" with this pick.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Well, it's not really Bob's list as it is a group of scouts that give lists to Bob, so the closer you are to the top of the draft the more accurate the list is going to project to be. You'll still have a good bit of variation involved. For instance the TSN list had McIlrath as #15 as did one other, no other publication had him top 20 and some even had him outright out of the first round entirely. He went #10.

Yeah it's no different than either the head of scouting or the GM of Amy given team. Expecting 1 guy to just gather all that info and have a "day job" during the year isn't realistic.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
They should reach back and have a Great Hurricanes Draft Trainwrecks and let us see what they thought of Paradis and some other bad picks.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Paradis' situation was one of the weirdest ever for me. Like what do you have to do in your first rookie camp to unimpress so spectacular that the team that drafts you wants to give up right away? Did he show up drunk and **** in someone's locker?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Paradis' situation was one of the weirdest ever for me. Like what do you have to do in your first rookie camp to unimpress so spectacular that the team that drafts you wants to give up right away? Did he show up drunk and **** in someone's locker?

.... wait were you on my beer league team?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

I suspect, that the guys they wanted were all gone and when it came time to pick, they panicked and went with the biggest player they knew anything about. Guy comes to camp and they seem him play and are like "Holy ****, we need to dump this guy asap!"

In fairness, the 2 guys drafted right after him (Dylan Oslen and Carter Ashton haven't become regular NHLrs either. Still doesn't absolve the Canes of that awful pick though.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I suspect, that the guys they wanted were all gone and when it came time to pick, they panicked and went with the biggest player they knew anything about. Guy comes to camp and they seem him play and are like "Holy ****, we need to dump this guy asap!"

In fairness, the 2 guys drafted right after him (Dylan Oslen and Carter Ashton haven't become regular NHLrs either. Still doesn't absolve the Canes of that awful pick though.

Especially when in the picks after him (within reason) you had Simon Despres, Alex Chiasson, and some dude named Ryan O'Reilly.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00