2017 NHL Draft Thread **Isles Draft 15th/Traded to VGK**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
As read by other fans: Dal Colle was a 5th overall who hasn't done anything in 3 years.

He does not hold much trade value IMO. Maybe bottom of the 1st round if your lucky. Worth way more to us than anyone else.

No reason to trade him at this point.

If a team picking top 8 comes to Garth and asks, Snow can consider it, but there's no telling in this draft if anyone of these guys in the first round, or outside of the top 4, has more potential than Dal Colle long term.

In addition, he's not only still got time, but took some important steps last winter. He's not far off and Long Island is a bit devoid of what he brings to the table.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Would a deal like the 46 OA and 77 OA to Dallas for the 29 OA make sense for the Isles? Or would it be better to stick at 46 and 77?

My strong opinion is that the players ranked app. 27-80 are - very very roughly - somewhat interchangeable depending on a team's need. I see a lot of guys the NYI and its system could make good use of. There's plenty of uncertainty in this draft, but if the pundits are calling it so-so, well it has a really really broad width of so-so.

A good scouting staff will get more out of 46 and 77 than out of one of the last few picks in round 1.

Of course, it wouldn't be unthinkable to see Snow make such a move, if he'd find a taker and feel that he really really wants a kid who is still on the board. But hey, kids like Brannstrom, Vaakanainen, and Bowers could be just that, right?

One Bonkers thought I had was if Isles are getting immense cap relief - shedding Grabovski and say Halak - do they now take on salary for say a late round pick? Say they take on Niemi's contract for 29 OA pick?

Very interesting thought.

Mentioned the Arizona connection a few times (deal involving Strome and Kulemin, should they need help hitting the cap floor) and if the team moves Grabo, Kulemin, and Halak, then there'd definitely be potential for such a move.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
anyone also wondering if potentially our pick going to vegas is for next year? I've seen reports that the picks they acquired are over the next 3 drafts

I actually think it's a fair question, people keep pointing to Vegas having Islanders and Blue Jackets picks this year, who says they aren't next year(I would be more willing to bet the Blue Jacket's pick is next year)

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Matt Strome, Morgan Geekie, Josh Brook, Lipanov (as you mentioned), Robin Salo (Chapin's guy), Isaac Ratcliffe, and Jonah Gadjovich are all guys I would be considering at that spot.

These are all guys I wouldn't mind seeing Snow take, even if I have a few doubts about Strome as a viable NHL prospect.

Ironically, although I think most of these guys will be gone by 77, there'd be an outside chance of getting two of them with the picks we have.

I do really like Salo and am pretty certain he's a future NHLer in likely a defensive capacity, but I think the fan in me would be most excited about seeing Garth grab Geekie or Lipanov. They both seem to have some exciting possibilities.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
If he is available at 46 I might take a shot at Mike Diepietro(my guess is he will go sometime between 35-45). If not the Islanders best option is probably going defense or swing for the fences and pick smallish Mason Shaw(my money is Tampa taking him in the second then us wondering 3 year from now how does Tampa get all these good 2nd rounders)

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
As read by other fans: Dal Colle was a 5th overall who hasn't done anything in 3 years.

He does not hold much trade value IMO. Maybe bottom of the 1st round if your lucky. Worth way more to us than anyone else.

I disagree with other fans.

Dal Colle projects to be in an NHL lineup within 12-18 months in my opinion, which is what matters the most here. In what capacity he will be in the NHL is less relevant in my opinion because of the Islanders lack of forward prospects after the "big three" Barzal, Beauvillier, and Ho-Sang.

And Barzal/Beauvillier could very well be traded.

If anything, deal Bellows for a guy pick that will yield you a guy with 'lower' upside, but a quicker projection to the NHL.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If Tavares extends, they need to hone in on forwards that can step into the NHL quicker, because cap space will run thin when he's making 10M per.

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
I actually think it's a fair question, people keep pointing to Vegas having Islanders and Blue Jackets picks this year, who says they aren't next year(I would be more willing to bet the Blue Jacket's pick is next year)

if garth has some trades worked out it makes sense since hopefully we would be picking later next year

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
if garth has some trades worked out it makes sense since hopefully we would be picking later next year

I am guessing in the case of the Islanders this year's pick probably holds a little more weight then next years but in the case of Columbus I will take my chances next season. I am guessing though if it's next years pick the Islanders would put some draft lottery condition on it(ie if it's a top 3 pick we give them 2019)

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I'm wondering if Neal somehow ends up with the Isles next year. One year left on current deal, be a nice 1RW to go with JT and Lee. Maybe costs us the #46 this year and/or a 2nd next year?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
If Tavares extends, they need to hone in on forwards that can step into the NHL quicker, because cap space will run thin when he's making 10M per.

That's really not the issue. The issue is handing out contracts like the ones to Cizikas and Clutterbuck. The Penguins had massive contracts in Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang, and Fleury and just won the Cup twice.

We need to land top-end talent and stop giving out long-term contracts to middle/lower talent.

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
That's really not the issue. The issue is handing out contracts like the ones to Cizikas and Clutterbuck. The Penguins had massive contracts in Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang, and Fleury and just won the Cup twice.

We need to land top-end talent and stop giving out long-term contracts to middle/lower talent.

#Preach

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
i just checked www.mynhldraft.com and they have it listed as this years pick.

from the things ive read about the '18 draft class, i dont want garth trading any of those picks. its supposed too be a very, very, deep pool.

That draft now shows Las Vegas drafting Mittlestadt, Valimaki and Andersson . . . that's a nice start for their organization

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
It's amazing. There's no such thing as development anymore. People expect 1st rounders to be full time NHLers with a year or 2 of their draft.

Dal Colle is 21 and just competed his first pro season. People need to give it time before calls not him a bust.

Bellows didn't rack up points in his freshman year and now he's a bust.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
So I guess we officially can change this title to Islanders Draft 46.

I wonder who will be available by time we pick. Just looking at some rankings around it seems like the most likely suspects to fall to 46 will be big Left Wingers(something which we don't need) and Defense. My guess is Defense will be the best bet although I might put out for Mike Dipietro(who probably will go 32-25) or Kole Lind if they somehow fall

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
These are all guys I wouldn't mind seeing Snow take, even if I have a few doubts about Strome as a viable NHL prospect.

Ironically, although I think most of these guys will be gone by 77, there'd be an outside chance of getting two of them with the picks we have.

I do really like Salo and am pretty certain he's a future NHLer in likely a defensive capacity, but I think the fan in me would be most excited about seeing Garth grab Geekie or Lipanov. They both seem to have some exciting possibilities.

I think Matt Strome has the biggest hurdle in terms of his skating, but I see a lot of indicators that make him a potential pro. Even if it's in the bottom 6. That said, he is definitely not my favorite of the group I listed.

I really like Geekie and Brook, in addition to Gadjovich out of that group. Those are the guys I'm most familiar with.

Brook is the type of guy who I think will be more appreciated as he moves up against tougher competition. He doesn't have one particular trait that stands out, but he's an all-around guy who relies on his smarts rather than size/strength/skill like other prospects do at the same age. The entire basis for his game is his quick decision making, so I think there's room for growth in pretty much all other aspects of his game. To me, that's the type of player who is underappreciated at the draft, but surprises everyone when he steps foot on NHL ice.

Regarding Geekie, normally I'm not a fan of re-entries higher than round three, however, with him I'll make an exception. Skating is still something he needs to work on, but it's gotten quite a bit better than his first year in the dub. The fact that it still needs a lot of work doesn't worry me, because the amount of progress he's already made tells me he's in the middle of a development curve and I'd rather see the progress rather than hope for it. You can definitely see it with him and that's what you want, continual progress, not stagnation. The rest of his game has NHLer written all over him, IMO. He's got a big frame and plays your typical WHL style. Good in the corners, goes to the net, takes care of his own end, blocks shots, etc. He kind've reminds me of Andrew Ladd at the same age, although he's definitely a center and I think he'll remain at center in the NHL.

At 77 I like Yaroslav Alexeyev or Zach Gallant. I think Alexeyev has similar qualities to Abramov and as a skilled, speedy RW, he could be a unique player in the farm system. He's very deceptive, elusive, and with his speed and goal scoring instincts... he could be a big sleeper in this draft.

Gallant is another projected 3rd line center, somewhat similar to Geekie in that he's an all-around guy with skating as his weakness, but plays with more of an edge. He's a more physical player and with his non-stop motor and all-out effort, he actually reminds me a lot of Cizikas. I think he could be a good player to add to the farm system to give ourselves a long-term replacement for Casey.

With that said, this is how I'd rank them for picks 46 and 77 in order of personal preference:

46 - (1) Gadjovich (2) Brook (3) Geekie
77 - (1) Alexeyev (2) Gallant

Lipanov and Salo I've seen less of, but I'd be happy with either one at 46 as well.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I should also add that, my biggest draft desire would be for Garth to make his moves back into the tail-end of the 1st if he can, and only if Yamamoto is still available. He is my clear favorite of the draft and I think we're looking at another Johnny Gaudreau with some Theo Fleury with this guy. I would easily give up the 2nd+3rd and a 2018 pick to get him, if he's still available at 28-31.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I should also add that, my biggest draft desire would be for Garth to make his moves back into the tail-end of the 1st if he can, and only if Yamamoto is still available. He is my clear favorite of the draft and I think we're looking at another Johnny Gaudreau with some Theo Fleury with this guy. I would easily give up the 2nd+3rd and a 2018 pick to get him, if he's still available at 28-31.

A swing for the fences, why not? I like this scenario.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

I am not sure the 46th and a 3rd moves up into the first round. You have to look at all the other times Garth moved into the first round he basically was trading a pick in the 33-35 area as the basis of the trade(so a team was willing to drop 5-8 spots not 15-20)

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I am not sure the 46th and a 3rd moves up into the first round. You have to look at all the other times Garth moved into the first round he basically was trading a pick in the 33-35 area as the basis of the trade(so a team was willing to drop 5-8 spots not 15-20)

True, like I said with a 2018 pick. So maybe he moves the 2017 2nd and 3rd to move up into that range and trades the 33-35 + 2018 2nd. If that still doesn't get it done, maybe there's a pick coming back in the trade for a top 6 forward he can use. Either way, I'm not really trying to get into the specifics of what it takes, that's for Garth to figure out. I'd just really like a shot at Yamamoto if he's still there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad