2017 NHL Draft Thread **Isles Draft 15th/Traded to VGK**

Status
Not open for further replies.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Robertson's skating is kind of rough. I like also how one of the scouts quoted in the draft preview describes him as a powerforward without power.

The strength/power thing can be improved with time and off-season training. It's the skating that will determine how interested teams are in taking a chance on him.

Sounds like Dal Colle, also I don't get the infatuation with Tippet. He's in that Daniel Sprong/Julien Gauthier mold.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Sounds like Dal Colle, also I don't get the infatuation with Tippet. He's in that Daniel Sprong/Julien Gauthier mold.

I totally disagree with this. Tippett is nothing like Gauthier. In particular, Gauthier's game is based on his size/strength/reach. Tippett's game is based on his speed and shot. Think more Bill Guerin in his prime vs. James van Riemsdyk. Not perfect comparisons, but it illustrates their differences.

Daniel Sprong is a better comparison, but he's more well-rounded than Tippett and more consistent.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I totally disagree with this. Tippett is nothing like Gauthier. In particular, Gauthier's game is based on his size/strength/reach. Tippett's game is based on his speed and shot. Think more Bill Guerin in his prime vs. James van Riemsdyk. Not perfect comparisons, but it illustrates their differences.

Daniel Sprong is a better comparison, but he's more well-rounded than Tippett and more consistent.

Sorry Konk, didn't mean from an actual stylistic comparison, but as guys who have great skill but lack consistency and in some cases lack of team game.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Sorry Konk, didn't mean from an actual stylistic comparison, but as guys who have great skill but lack consistency and in some cases lack of team game.

Gotcha, my bad. That makes sense.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

We have the passing centers we now need guys to pass them to. Also he is a RW(my theory is anything but left wings this draft).

On a side note looks like Bob McKenzie/TSN list somehow got leaked. If it's real they have Tippett 10th, if that list is real that means that Tippet is dropping a bit(or other guys are jumping him).

The real faller on the list is Liljegren at 16th

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Tippett would not be my 1st choice, but i think he would be a good fit with us. we need size and speed and shooters (especially on the PP). doesn't seem like a top 10 kinda guy, but with all out playmakers and lack of right-handed shots, i would be ok with him.

anyone know if he is willing to go to the dirty areas?

in his profile, he says that he isn't afraid of anything. gotta like that! ;)

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Robertson's skating is kind of rough. I like also how one of the scouts quoted in the draft preview describes him as a powerforward without power.

The strength/power thing can be improved with time and off-season training. It's the skating that will determine how interested teams are in taking a chance on him.

I guess the question is at what point do his skating questions match up with other players' questions and get overcome by his positives. This seems like the kind of weaker draft where players with "issues" get taken earlier than usual. We might have a 5'7" guy taken in the mid-teens if you believe some lists.

BTW, a huge thing with Robertson has to be what his work ethic/determination is like. It sounds like he is going to have to be very committed to making it and doing the necessary work. If he's a lackadaisical kinda kid, stay away. But, for an extreme example, Chara was a beanpole who could barely skate, but he was also a workout psycho and unbelievably committed (probably helped that both of his parents were Olympic-level athletes).

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
BTW, I'm all about taking the BPA, but if there happens to be available at #15 a big RW who can skate and shoot, sign me up.

Speaking of which, Klim Kostin? I know he's supposed to be high risk/high reward, but at this point he's the name I keep coming back to when I think about who I'd like the Isles to take....

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Is it just me or is the Islanders official site lacking in draft coverage this year? Usually in June they start putting together prospect profiles, covering the top draft eligible guys.

9475154477851c5584c59927cc588280.png

scott99

May 13, 2005
BTW, I'm all about taking the BPA, but if there happens to be available at #15 a big RW who can skate and shoot, sign me up.

Speaking of which, Klim Kostin? I know he's supposed to be high risk/high reward, but at this point he's the name I keep coming back to when I think about who I'd like the Isles to take....

Big fan of Kostin's, very talented. Would be thrilled if he was the pick. I'd be pretty much happy with any of the guys rated 10-20. Most likely we wind up with one of those.

ISS 10-20

10) Rasmussen
11) Suzuki
12) Foote
13) Necas
14) Valimaki
15) Poehling
16) Kostin
17) Tolvanen
18) Hague
19) Vesalainen
20) Petterson

My favorites are in bold.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Big fan of Kostin's, very talented. Would be thrilled if he was the pick. I'd be pretty much happy with any of the guys rated 10-20. Most likely we wind up with one of those.

ISS 10-20

10) Rasmussen
11) Suzuki
12) Foote
13) Necas
14) Valimaki
15) Poehling
16) Kostin
17) Tolvanen
18) Hague
19) Vesalainen
20) Petterson

My favorites are in bold.

ISS had Petterson at 20? If he's on the board at 15 Garth should be sprinting to the podium.

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
We have the passing centers we now need guys to pass them to. Also he is a RW(my theory is anything but left wings this draft).

On a side note looks like Bob McKenzie/TSN list somehow got leaked. If it's real they have Tippett 10th, if that list is real that means that Tippet is dropping a bit(or other guys are jumping him).

The real faller on the list is Liljegren at 16th

id be thrilled with liljegren at 15

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Same here. He could be over-analyzed like Chychrun last year.

The only thing I'd say to this is: the difference seems to be Liljegren's play seems to be the reason for his drop; questionable IQ, a train wreck defensively, etc. With Chychrun, no one could really pinpoint exactly what it was about him that made him drop.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
The only thing I'd say to this is: the difference seems to be Liljegren's play seems to be the reason for his drop; questionable IQ, a train wreck defensively, etc. With Chychrun, no one could really pinpoint exactly what it was about him that made him drop.

I haven't seen him but if he is that much of a trainwreck defensively, how was he ever considered a top 3 pick? Has he gotten worse?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I haven't seen him but if he is that much of a trainwreck defensively, how was he ever considered a top 3 pick? Has he gotten worse?

He's still considered to have high end offensive ability. But questions cropped up about his defensive play and overall hockey sense as this season wore on.

Reminds me a bit of Oliver Kylington. Before his draft year, there was talk about him being a Top 5, maybe even Top 3 pick. But he fell for similar reasons (questionable defense, questionable hockey sense/IQ) and didn't end up going until 60th overall.

I don't think Liljegren will drop as far, but their drop in ranking seems to be for somewhat similar reasons.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Is it just me or is the Islanders official site lacking in draft coverage this year? Usually in June they start putting together prospect profiles, covering the top draft eligible guys.

9475154477851c5584c59927cc588280.png

They're trading the pick, Konk.

WhitePony

Mar 29, 2003
Visit site
Liljengren had a down year because he missed two months with mono, and when he came back played poorly because he wasn't in game shape and had loss muscle mass. He's far from a "train wreck" in his own zone. He has the tools to be a great defenseman, I'd be thrilled if he fell to us.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Liljengren had a down year because he missed two months with mono, and when he came back played poorly because he wasn't in game shape and had loss muscle mass. He's far from a "train wreck" in his own zone. He has the tools to be a great defenseman, I'd be thrilled if he fell to us.

For prospects out of Europe I defer to European scouts/scouting services. The ones I've read all mention him being a bit of a mess in his own zone as one of the reasons he slipped in the draft. Maybe that's due to the mono. Either way, that and questions about his hockey sense seemed to be the common complaint about him.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Liljegren will be fine. He played well at the Five Nations Tournament. If you ever had mono, especially a severe case, that explains his struggles. There is nothing wrong with his skating, offense or potential to continue to improve. When guys have been under the microscope for years, any regression is magnified. To me he has one of the safest floors and that is just fine when adding another defender to the pipeline.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Liljegren will be fine. He played well at the Five Nations Tournament. If you ever had mono, especially a severe case, that explains his struggles. There is nothing wrong with his skating, offense or potential to continue to improve. When guys have been under the microscope for years, any regression is magnified. To me he has one of the safest floors and that is just fine when adding another defender to the pipeline.

His skating is absolutely dynamic, definitely top-tier four-dimensional ability there. He's still a top prospect overall, but guys like Brannstrom have caught up regardless of the illness and I think next season will confirm that.

Chychrun is a similar case, but part of his downfall at the draft was that he didn't take that next step offensively scouts were looking for and I don't think he ever will be a top tier offensive producer in the NHL. Similarly, I don't think Liljegren took that next step either. I also think a guy like Brannstrom has a bit more "toolbox" while Liljegren has better tools, if one were to compare the two.

So ultimately, he would be a good pick, but there are comparably similar talents in guys like Valimaki and Brannstrom.

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
His skating is absolutely dynamic, definitely top-tier four-dimensional ability there. He's still a top prospect overall, but guys like Brannstrom have caught up regardless of the illness and I think next season will confirm that.

Chychrun is a similar case, but part of his downfall at the draft was that he didn't take that next step offensively scouts were looking for and I don't think he ever will be a top tier offensive producer in the NHL. Similarly, I don't think Liljegren took that next step either. I also think a guy like Brannstrom has a bit more "toolbox" while Liljegren has better tools, if one were to compare the two.

So ultimately, he would be a good pick, but there are comparably similar talents in guys like Valimaki and Brannstrom.

wouldn't it be so nice if liljegren fell to us and then became the offensive star everyone envisioned before the nitpicking and mono

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
He's still considered to have high end offensive ability. But questions cropped up about his defensive play and overall hockey sense as this season wore on.

Reminds me a bit of Oliver Kylington. Before his draft year, there was talk about him being a Top 5, maybe even Top 3 pick. But he fell for similar reasons (questionable defense, questionable hockey sense/IQ) and didn't end up going until 60th overall.

I don't think Liljegren will drop as far, but their drop in ranking seems to be for somewhat similar reasons.

Sounds like David Rundblad

If Valimaki drops to 15 I hope he's the pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad