2017 NHL Draft Thread **Isles Draft 15th/Traded to VGK**

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhitePony

Mar 29, 2003
Visit site
Hopefully a solid offensive D is available for our 1st rounder. Some high end D prospects in the pipeline are needed, since up front is pretty well stacked.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I would love to get our hands on Nicolas Hague, big d-man who has offensive skill.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=253977

I like Hague a lot. I saw him twice last year while watching other players. He stuck out and reminded me of an OHL Hedman. Obviously Hedman is a world class defenseman and star but that's the game I saw in him relative to junior.

Like Scott I Like Popagyaev. Big strong winger with scoring touch. I've seen Nash comparisons.

But if there is one play I really want the isles to draft it's Windsor goalie Micheal DiPietro:sarcasm:

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
No more Strome. bad enough we probably have the worst one out of the family.

My favorite spec in 2017 is Liljegren, whoever gets him is going to be happy.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I like Hague a lot. I saw him twice last year while watching other players. He stuck out and reminded me of an OHL Hedman. Obviously Hedman is a world class defenseman and star but that's the game I saw in him relative to junior.

Like Scott I Like Popagyaev. Big strong winger with scoring touch. I've seen Nash comparisons.

But if there is one play I really want the isles to draft it's Windsor goalie Micheal DiPietro:sarcasm:

What I like about Popugaev is he's not only big, he's fast ! He won fastest skater at a Russian junior league all star game. Pretty good for a 6'4" winger. I don't read or speak Russian, but he's the 4th skater, big #70 in the fastest skater contest.

https://youtu.be/x5APMYAqrdE

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Ahhh...just like to good old days where we start draft talk right at the beginning :cool:

Konk

Mar 11, 2008

Agreed, ISS is a joke without him on the list. This isn't a preference thing, he is as talented as a Clayton Keller, but with more tenacity. He is my early prediction for the Islanders 2017 1st round selection and I'm sticking with that one all year. Call it a gut feeling, but I wanted to get that out now because I had the same thoughts about Beauvillier in 2014.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Agreed, ISS is a joke without him on the list. This isn't a preference thing, he is as talented as a Clayton Keller, but with more tenacity. He is my early prediction for the Islanders 2017 1st round selection and I'm sticking with that one all year. Call it a gut feeling, but I wanted to get that out now because I had the same thoughts about Beauvillier in 2014.

Good to see you Konk.

Assuming we're picking in the mid-20's (hopefully 31st with Vegas in the Draft now), you think Yamamoto would actually be available?

Plus, what do you think about Hague? Strikes me as a poor man's Hedman.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
What I like about Popugaev is he's not only big, he's fast ! He won fastest skater at a Russian junior league all star game. Pretty good for a 6'4" winger. I don't read or speak Russian, but he's the 4th skater, big #70 in the fastest skater contest.

https://youtu.be/x5APMYAqrdE

Popugaev is big, talented, and fast, but overall he's very inconsistent effort-wise. I think he'll go in the 20-30 range and the Isles won't be the team to pick him. He just doesn't match their blueprint for the draft and is fairly overrated.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Good to see you Konk.

Hard to stay away when I've been coming to HF since 1999.... damn addictions.

Assuming we're picking in the mid-20's (hopefully 31st with Vegas in the Draft now), you think Yamamoto would actually be available?

I guess I don't think we'll be picking that late. I expect another late teens selection and I do believe he'll be there, as some seem to be weary of his size, but I don't see it being a problem for him in particular based on his IQ and style of play. Gaudreau-esque

Plus, what do you think about Hague? Strikes me as a poor man's Hedman.

I like Hague, although I haven't watched him as much as some of the WHL guys. He's got some Hedman to his game, big, smooth, and smart. I think he's got top 15 talent so the Isles would have to trade up.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Hauge, Hischier, Ruzicka, Tolvanen,Andersson, and a few other guys I like

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

I think Yamamoto is like 5'8ish so I can see him dropping mid to late first round. All that being said I don't know enough about this draft(if it's a weak year for instance his stock should only get better despite size)

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I think Yamamoto is like 5'8ish so I can see him dropping mid to late first round. All that being said I don't know enough about this draft(if it's a weak year for instance his stock should only get better despite size)

If this is as weak a draft as people are saying, I think this pick should be packaged in a deal for a scoring winger.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
How is Yamamoto's skating? Is he quick and shifty enough to compensate for the lack of size, a la Gaudreau, or is he more of a Cammarata type, tons of skill but too small and can't make up for it?

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
How is Yamamoto's skating? Is he quick and shifty enough to compensate for the lack of size, a la Gaudreau, or is he more of a Cammarata type, tons of skill but too small and can't make up for it?

He's not going to be the fastest guy in the NHL, but he is a very good skater with good speed. What makes Kailer similar to Gaudreau is his quickness and agility in tight spaces. He is very shifty and can create separation with his moves and acceleration.

I didn't like DeBrincat because he's more like a Nate Gerbe type -- he gets by on heart and taking a beating down low with the big boys. Yamamoto plays a cerebral, playmaking game in comparison. That said, he has a great shot as well and can put it far side low right above the goalie's pads with accuracy

He's very cerebral and along with thr edge he and his brother play with, I think he's going to be a very good NHLer. He's got all of the tools you want to see in a smaller guy with tremendous skill. Probably the most skilled player in the WHL this year.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
While I would always take the BPA, barring any trades to re-balance the depth chart, I really hope the BPA is a RW (ideally with skill and some size) to add to the system. Unless of course the pick is traded, either to fill an immediate need to make an extended run this season or consolidate assets and add some quality vs. quantity going forward. More defense prospects would be the next "need" I guess, however, I feel very comfortable with the Isles system for the most part. I really like the different waves of prospects up and down the pipeline right now.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Some thoughts on players I've watched recently:

Owen Tippett - This kid is going to be an elite goal scorer. Best shot in the draft next to Patrick, his wrister has velocity and he gets it off quick. On top of that, he's a very fast skater and stands 6'2". With his size, speed, and shot combo this guy should end up a top 5 pick. Really impressed with his progress from last year.

Nic Hague - Huge, mobile skater with a canon shot. His combination of size, mobility, physicality, and shot remind me of Chara and he could develop into that same type of defenseman. Defense-first behemoth with a big point shot on the PP. He looks like a top 10 pick at this point.

Kailer Yamamoto - Super smart, shifty RWer for Spokane in the WHL. Next to Patrick, he's got the highest IQ in the dub and is the most talented offensive player. I don't see how he isn't a top 20 pick, even considering his small stature. Just too smart and talented.

Nikita Popugaev - Big, fast, and highly skilled, but is invisible if he isn't scoring. He's a streaky player so he can go an entire game and you will barely notice him. Skills are undeniable, however.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Some thoughts on players I've watched recently:

Owen Tippett - This kid is going to be an elite goal scorer. Best shot in the draft next to Patrick, his wrister has velocity and he gets it off quick. On top of that, he's a very fast skater and stands 6'2". With his size, speed, and shot combo this guy should end up a top 5 pick. Really impressed with his progress from last year.

Nic Hague - Huge, mobile skater with a canon shot. His combination of size, mobility, physicality, and shot remind me of Chara and he could develop into that same type of defenseman. Defense-first behemoth with a big point shot on the PP. He looks like a top 10 pick at this point.

Kailer Yamamoto - Super smart, shifty RWer for Spokane in the WHL. Next to Patrick, he's got the highest IQ in the dub and is the most talented offensive player. I don't see how he isn't a top 20 pick, even considering his small stature. Just too smart and talented.

Nikita Popugaev - Big, fast, and highly skilled, but is invisible if he isn't scoring. He's a streaky player so he can go an entire game and you will barely notice him. Skills are undeniable, however.

Kailer's brother Keanu isn't that bad either. He's an overager and they play really well together. Would be nice to get those two.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Kailer's brother Keanu isn't that bad either. He's an overager and they play really well together. Would be nice to get those two.

They do, but Keanu is the more gritty, blue collar player of the brothers while Kailer is the more talented one. If the Islanders end up with Kailer, I'd like to see them also sign Keanu.

That said, if they continue to stink it up, they might be looking at a Tippett or Hague instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad