2017 NHL Draft Thread **Isles Draft 15th/Traded to VGK**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I really like Geekie and Brook, in addition to Gadjovich out of that group. Those are the guys I'm most familiar with.

Brook is the type of guy who I think will be more appreciated as he moves up against tougher competition. He doesn't have one particular trait that stands out, but he's an all-around guy who relies on his smarts rather than size/strength/skill like other prospects do at the same age. The entire basis for his game is his quick decision making, so I think there's room for growth in pretty much all other aspects of his game. To me, that's the type of player who is underappreciated at the draft, but surprises everyone when he steps foot on NHL ice.

Regarding Geekie, normally I'm not a fan of re-entries higher than round three, however, with him I'll make an exception. Skating is still something he needs to work on, but it's gotten quite a bit better than his first year in the dub. The fact that it still needs a lot of work doesn't worry me, because the amount of progress he's already made tells me he's in the middle of a development curve and I'd rather see the progress rather than hope for it. You can definitely see it with him and that's what you want, continual progress, not stagnation. The rest of his game has NHLer written all over him, IMO. He's got a big frame and plays your typical WHL style. Good in the corners, goes to the net, takes care of his own end, blocks shots, etc. He kind've reminds me of Andrew Ladd at the same age, although he's definitely a center and I think he'll remain at center in the NHL.

All are fascinating possibilities. I really like Geekie's maturity and Gadjovich seems to have some promise as a sturdy, north-south player will strong net-range skills. All I've heard about Brook has been positive and he seems to have a lot of the tools that actually should get him to the NHL one day. Natural progression and maturity may be all a suitor really has to wait for.

At 77 I like Yaroslav Alexeyev or Zach Gallant. I think Alexeyev has similar qualities to Abramov and as a skilled, speedy RW, he could be a unique player in the farm system. He's very deceptive, elusive, and with his speed and goal scoring instincts... he could be a big sleeper in this draft.

Gallant is another projected 3rd line center, somewhat similar to Geekie in that he's an all-around guy with skating as his weakness, but plays with more of an edge. He's a more physical player and with his non-stop motor and all-out effort, he actually reminds me a lot of Cizikas. I think he could be a good player to add to the farm system to give ourselves a long-term replacement for Casey.

Alexeyev seems like quite the lightweight. Roughly the same size as Heponiemi. But Alexeyev's skill set seem to be above-average for this draft. Is he better than the other handful of mid-round Russians who played in the CHL this winter? There were quite a few of them this year.

I haven't seen any of them this past season, to be honest.

Can't say I know anything about Gallant either, so interesting to hear about his pro possibilities. How does he compare to guys like Meireles, Teasdale, Jones, Schnarr, Bellerive, or Peckford?

Obviously these players are different, but they are all CHL centers with fairly similar stats and seem to be ranked in about the same range for many of the independent agencies.

Russians playing overseas:
What I like about Lipanov is that he's a feisty little fella who gets his nose dirty while fishing out pucks that he then moves along to his linemates well.

I'm also curious about the kids playing in the MHL right now. Several, including a couple of overagers in Igor Shvyrev and Andrey Altybarmakyan, put up some pretty gaudy numbers for that league. From what I hear, they have serious possibilities. Then again, KHL numbers were up a good bit this year too.

People know about Kirill Slepets, who is nonetheless on the smaller side, but a decent sized center named Georgi Ivanov has made me a bit curious throughout the winter after a pretty decent showing at the Ivan Hlinka. His stats are modest, but when you see him play, he just looks like a kid who gets it. The hockey sense, solid decisions he makes, and his several gears in skating make you think there's a player here whose production will be ample when playing at higher levels.

Well, we'll know a lot more in roughly 36 hours.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Alexia Lipanov has signed with the Barrie Colts! This could push him to the first round. I wouldn't mind Garth swooping in if he's there in the late first early 2nd

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Any big predictions for tonight?

Gotta think that Snow has a move to make this evening.

- I'm going to say that it involves pick #16

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
What does that accomplish for us?

Absolutely nothing. I didn't say I agreed with it. Just predicting the move.

Going by reports that CGY wants another TOP 4 Defensman. They have Giordano and Brodie on the left side and Hamilton in the right. They have been inquiring about Hamonic

Snow said he wants to shed salary. Reports are Snow is looking for picks for Hamonic.

If it were up to me I'd be trading Hamonic for Duchene. But it's not up to me.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Usually on draft day, I'm like a kid on Christmas, I can't sleep, I think about the draft immediately after I wake up. But subconsciously, this morning, I didn't even think of the draft until when I was walking to the train to go to work this morning. I was thinking, "oh yeah, today is the draft". No excitement in my thought process.

In the 2nd round, if we still have a 2nd round pick, there are a few guys I was thinking about. I think we probably wouldn't draft Strome, that would be really surprising. Guys who could possibly be there, are guys like Brannstrom (might fall because of size concerns), Eemeli Rasanen (the big Finnish Dman who plays Canadian junior hockey), Dylan Samberg, big USHL dman who can score. Adam Ruzicka, big center plays in Sarnia, Ostap Safin, big LW with good speed.

I know a lot of people dislike Nikita Popugaev (work ethic concerns), big LW who plays in Prince George of the WHL, but he has a rare size/speed combination I like a lot.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
All are fascinating possibilities. I really like Geekie's maturity and Gadjovich seems to have some promise as a sturdy, north-south player will strong net-range skills. All I've heard about Brook has been positive and he seems to have a lot of the tools that actually should get him to the NHL one day. Natural progression and maturity may be all a suitor really has to wait for.

I think his strength is his calm play and quick decision making. He just seems to know what to do in every single play, either before he gets the puck or before the player makes a move. Really mature.

Alexeyev seems like quite the lightweight. Roughly the same size as Heponiemi. But Alexeyev's skill set seem to be above-average for this draft. Is he better than the other handful of mid-round Russians who played in the CHL this winter? There were quite a few of them this year.

I haven't seen any of them this past season, to be honest.

I do like him better than Kozlov, Chekhovich, etc. simply due to his goal scoring instincts and his ability to be in the right place at the right time. He has some Kucherov to him where he'll calmly hang in the right spot for a rebound while his teammates overskate the puck. Chekhovich is another good one, but I prefer Alexeyev. His lightweight size is part of his "strength," he's very mobile and elusive most likely due to his frame (as well as skating). He can move laterally very quickly and that helps him create space.

Can't say I know anything about Gallant either, so interesting to hear about his pro possibilities. How does he compare to guys like Meireles, Teasdale, Jones, Schnarr, Bellerive, or Peckford?

Obviously these players are different, but they are all CHL centers with fairly similar stats and seem to be ranked in about the same range for many of the independent agencies.

I think a lot of those guys are interchangible, but what I like about Gallant is that he's really physical. He's known as one of the best body checkers in the OHL. On top of that, he's got pro size and a pretty decent shot. He's similar to Alexeyev in that he'll fall back into a hole and utilize his shot with a good release. I see that ability translating to the NHL nicely, so he can be a 3rd liner who can provide some offense. His ceiling is probably 40 points, but that's all you can expect from a 3rd line checker.

So a lot of those guys you listed are good three zone players with tenacious work ethics, but I think Gallant's physical style and offensive abilities are more likely to translate to the pros. At worst I think he'll be a 4th liner who can provide physicality.

Russians playing overseas:
What I like about Lipanov is that he's a feisty little fella who gets his nose dirty while fishing out pucks that he then moves along to his linemates well.

I'm also curious about the kids playing in the MHL right now. Several, including a couple of overagers in Igor Shvyrev and Andrey Altybarmakyan, put up some pretty gaudy numbers for that league. From what I hear, they have serious possibilities. Then again, KHL numbers were up a good bit this year too.

People know about Kirill Slepets, who is nonetheless on the smaller side, but a decent sized center named Georgi Ivanov has made me a bit curious throughout the winter after a pretty decent showing at the Ivan Hlinka. His stats are modest, but when you see him play, he just looks like a kid who gets it. The hockey sense, solid decisions he makes, and his several gears in skating make you think there's a player here whose production will be ample when playing at higher levels.

Well, we'll know a lot more in roughly 36 hours.

I only get to see Russians, Swedes, Finns, etc. playing overseas in IIHF tournaments on TV, so my exposure is limited. I do like what I've seen from Lipanov and what yourself and others are saying about him, however, I tend to think he could be a riser and climb out of the Islanders reach.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Amazed the Isles didn't trade back up into the 1st round with Tolvanen and Kostin still available at 30 & 31. Tolvanen is an amazing pick by Nashville at 30, total steal. One of the best snipers in the draft. So jealous of Nashville. They finish with the same EXACT record as us, were Stanley Cup Finalists, still had a 1st round pick (not lost in expansion draft like us), and get a Friggen gem at #30.

That's how you run a franchise, while that clown Snow does nothing with the assets he fought mightily to protect by losing a 1st round pick for. Then the idiot tries to oversell Hamonic, while the supposedly interested Flames and Leafs probably laughed at his demands. If Snow can't land Duchene or Galchenyuk by trading Hamonic + in the next few days, his summer has to be considered a failure. Though I like Eberle, his cap hit hurts us if we aren't trading assets to make the team better. I do consider Eberle an improvement over Strome (thus making the team a little better), that one move alone isn't enough.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
If Snow can't land Duchene or Galchenyuk by trading Hamonic + in the next few days, his summer has to be considered a failure.

So what do you expect Snow do to to get Sakic to change his mind on Hamonic? hypnotism?

scott99

May 13, 2005
So what do you expect Snow do to to get Sakic to change his mind on Hamonic? hypnotism?

Work with Sakic to see what pieces he would take. I heard the offer was Hamonic, 1st round pick in 2018 and a prospect. If that wasn't enough, find out what it would take and then decide if that's palatable.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Work with Sakic to see what pieces he would take. I heard the offer was Hamonic, 1st round pick in 2018 and a prospect. If that wasn't enough, find out what it would take and then decide if that's palatable.

I'm pretty sure this has been going on the whole time... like since February.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here

I assume he has already done that.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I'm pretty sure this has been going on the whole time... like since February.

I'm pretty sure we have the pieces to get it done. Snow is very full of himself and thinks he's one of the best GM's in the league (he's one of the worst). He hurt himself big time today by overpricing Hamonic, therefore making him untradeable if indeed he wanted several #1 picks. Once again trying to prove he's smarter than anyone else (the other GMs).

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

You mean negotiate?

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Amazed the Isles didn't trade back up into the 1st round with Tolvanen and Kostin still available at 30 & 31. Tolvanen is an amazing pick by Nashville at 30, total steal. One of the best snipers in the draft. So jealous of Nashville. They finish with the same EXACT record as us, were Stanley Cup Finalists, still had a 1st round pick (not lost in expansion draft like us), and get a Friggen gem at #30.

It's an average draft and they fell to the last two picks of the 1st, that should tell you something. Apparently I wasn't the only one who wasn't too impressed by Tolvanen or Kostin.

Edmonton got the real gem in Yamamoto. He will be a star in the NHL.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
You mean negotiate?

Which I'm sure they've been negotiating since the trade deadline. People act like Garth isn't doing his job, but he definitely is and if he gave into Sakic's demands the same ones would be there chastising him. Can't have it both ways.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Which I'm sure they've been negotiating since the trade deadline. People act like Garth isn't doing his job, but he definitely is and if he gave into Sakic's demands the same ones would be there chastising him. Can't have it both ways.

I don't think anyone can blame Garth for this one. Sakic wants an over payment. No one else has met the price either though so... take that for what it is worth. It might take a GM change for a deal to happen.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
I don't think anyone can blame Garth for this one. Sakic wants an over payment. No one else has met the price either though so... take that for what it is worth. It might take a GM change for a deal to happen.

Well garth is hanging onto hamonic which, intheory, , could mean hes going to wait a litle for this one. Which is fine, if this moron gets fired. Sakic is a lunatic and a terrible GM.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Is Sakic rumored to be canned soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad