2017 NHL Draft Discussion Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Nope. Nothing personal as its just the Web.

Have you ever thought of getting your law degree? You should as I know ya have some slow days at the office and perhaps you could end up making more $$$$

Haha, no I like my slow days. Keep me more or less sane.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Think we should target in order

Glass
Makar
Pettersson
Heiskanen
Vilardi

But tbh would be super happy with any of those guys

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Haha, no I like my slow days. Keep me more or less sane.

Spending half your day here on HF Canucks keeps you sane :sarcasm::naughty::laugh:

I'm just as guilty as I check this site like 25 times a day. I enjoy it as there are some good intelligent posters here and some epic arguments :yo:

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
On Bobby Mac's leaked list Necas is 11 and Pettersson is 7th.

http://imgur.com/a/sz3Ci

I think Pettersson has one of the highest ceilings in this draft whereas Necas has more question marks.

He's a superb decision maker, every shift he's doing something really smart or crafty or a combination of both. He's small but uses his anticipation and positioning to work around it. On the forecheck he won't be smoking opponents, instead he positions himself in spots to make the D put the puck where he wants and takes advantage of that.

I'd recommend his shift by shift video by ihaveyuidonttouchme

just follow 14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNeE0X12prw

It's funny, i think this pretty much perfectly describes what i like about Cody Glass' game. The bolded in particular. Yet not quite so much in the case of Pettersson, where i still see shifts where he's just kinda out skating a lap. Doesn't really significantly influence the play. Though Pettersson does have more of those "jumps off the ice" type moments, there are more shifts relative to Glass where he's none too involved in the play. Not that he's screwing up, badly out of position, or playing "poorly". Just that he's kind of peripheral to the run of play.

Whereas with Glass, he seems to get dumped on quite a bit for being "boring" and "quiet", but that whole spiel about doing smart and crafty things every shift rings so true. Though it's more about constantly doing important little things positionally, rather than doing 1 crafty thing per shift.

With Glass, even when he does (rarely) go an entire shift without touching the puck...he's still using his vision, anticipation, and positioning to influence the run of play. It's not always one specific play per shift to point at and say, "wow that was great". It's just a cumulative body of work where he's using his smarts to be ready to control things both ways, and constantly executes on that when he does need to support the play.

Disclaimer to that being that the bulk of what i've seen of Pettersson has been playing the Wing, rather than in the middle like Glass. Though i think that's really reflecting the crux of why Centers are so much more valuable than comparable Wingers (ie higher upside to me). Which is probably something that holds me back on Pettersson hype. :dunno: I like to see a lot of evidence of a guy doing something at their level, before i fully buy in, personally. Which is a lot easier for me to do with Glass.

Necas on the other hand...probably has the most sizzle and flash to his game. When he flashes, it's bright and sings of "upside". But he's by far the most "in and out" of the game out of Glass/Pettersson/Necas. When he's not doing something flashy and noticeable, he seems substantially weaker/less refined/less "smart" than the other two. He plays a much less mature game from everything i've seen.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
It's funny, i think this pretty much perfectly describes what i like about Cody Glass' game. The bolded in particular. Yet not quite so much in the case of Pettersson, where i still see shifts where he's just kinda out skating a lap. Doesn't really significantly influence the play. Though Pettersson does have more of those "jumps off the ice" type moments, there are more shifts relative to Glass where he's none too involved in the play. Not that he's screwing up, badly out of position, or playing "poorly". Just that he's kind of peripheral to the run of play.

Whereas with Glass, he seems to get dumped on quite a bit for being "boring" and "quiet", but that whole spiel about doing smart and crafty things every shift rings so true. Though it's more about constantly doing important little things positionally, rather than doing 1 crafty thing per shift.

With Glass, even when he does (rarely) go an entire shift without touching the puck...he's still using his vision, anticipation, and positioning to influence the run of play. It's not always one specific play per shift to point at and say, "wow that was great". It's just a cumulative body of work where he's using his smarts to be ready to control things both ways, and constantly executes on that when he does need to support the play.

Disclaimer to that being that the bulk of what i've seen of Pettersson has been playing the Wing, rather than in the middle like Glass. Though i think that's really reflecting the crux of why Centers are so much more valuable than comparable Wingers (ie higher upside to me). Which is probably something that holds me back on Pettersson hype. :dunno: I like to see a lot of evidence of a guy doing something at their level, before i fully buy in, personally. Which is a lot easier for me to do with Glass.

Necas on the other hand...probably has the most sizzle and flash to his game. When he flashes, it's bright and sings of "upside". But he's by far the most "in and out" of the game out of Glass/Pettersson/Necas. When he's not doing something flashy and noticeable, he seems substantially weaker/less refined/less "smart" than the other two. He plays a much less mature game from everything i've seen.

The more I read about Glass the more I like. Not a flashy player, but well rounded and does the small things right. Would you say Mark Schiefele is a good comparison stylistically? I've also seen people mention Ryan Johansen and Patrice Bergeron but I'm not sure if those are accurate.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
The more I read about Glass the more I like. Not a flashy player, but well rounded and does the small things right. Would you say Mark Schiefele is a good comparison stylistically? I've also seen people mention Ryan Johansen and Patrice Bergeron but I'm not sure if those are accurate.

Those are 2 very good comparables.
I'd be surprised if Glass even falls to us but if he does...and this organization skips....then it better be Makar.

No more BS.

We better hit on this one!

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think Pettersson has one of the highest ceilings in this draft whereas Necas has more question marks.

Pettersson vs Necas is an interesting discussion. I actually think Necas is the safer pick. I think the consensus is that they are similar players with similar skillsets. Pettersson seems to be more often ranked ahead but I'm not sure if Pettersson will end up being the better player. The biggest separator seems to be nationality and league they have been playing in. Pettersson is Swedish and when you consider the numbers he put up in his draft eligible year vs other NHL players it is incredibly impressive. Necas on the other hand plays in the Czech Mens' league. How many NHL players not to mention top 6 NHL players have been drafted out of the Czech Mens' league in the past decade?

But Necas has the explosive skating you want and despite having similar weights to start the year, Necas measured at 6'1" 178lbs. Pettersson measured at 6'1.75" 165lbs. Basically, the things that you want Pettersson to improve on (skating and size and strength) Necas is already there or almost there. Necas also had a better WJC to boot and didn't clearly lack in strength the way Pettersson was.

I can't see how Necas will be a bust as far as being an NHL player is concerned. He is fast, skilled, projects to have a decent frame, works hard, is a relentless forechecker, backchecks, blocks shots, and isn't afraid to throw hits or go to the net. There aren't really noticeable weaknesses in his game.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
My wish: Draft Vilardi at 5, trade Tanev to Buffalo for the 8th and take Pettersson, and then package the two second rounders (or #33 + Tryamkin's rights) , move up and draft Brannstrom.

What I'm expecting of Benning: Draft the "solid and dependable" Heiskanan at 5, don't cash in on Tanev, and take two "solid but unspectacular" players in the 2nd round way before they are ranked.

1. Patrick - NJ
2. Hischier - PHI
3. Mittelstadt - DAL
4. Makar - COL
5. Heiskanan - VAN
6. Vilardi - VGK
7. Liljegren - ARI
8. Tippett - BUF
9. Pettersson - DET
10. Necas - FLA

tiny103

Jun 28, 2008
Ottawa

I think button compares him to scheifele

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
I think button compares him to scheifele

And also said he doesn't see much difference between him and hischier and Patrick.

Codys even strength and road points are a huge thing for me. I really think he's gonna be a Ryan johansson type player. Mark schiefele would be acceptable as well lol

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Who here would trade Tryamkin for pick 59?

Considering he might be only one of two bona fide NHLers out of the 3rd round that year with legit shot at top 4, hopefully no one here.

Check back in two years when he'll be into his contract's last season in the K. Of course by that time the Buds wonderkids will be into the Benjamins and the club in need of cheap support players. Not sure this one will oblige. Either way, seriously up your offer. :naughty:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Pettersson vs Necas is an interesting discussion. I actually think Necas is the safer pick. I think the consensus is that they are similar players with similar skillsets. Pettersson seems to be more often ranked ahead but I'm not sure if Pettersson will end up being the better player. The biggest separator seems to be nationality and league they have been playing in. Pettersson is Swedish and when you consider the numbers he put up in his draft eligible year vs other NHL players it is incredibly impressive. Necas on the other hand plays in the Czech Mens' league. How many NHL players not to mention top 6 NHL players have been drafted out of the Czech Mens' league in the past decade?

But Necas has the explosive skating you want and despite having similar weights to start the year, Necas measured at 6'1" 178lbs. Pettersson measured at 6'1.75" 165lbs. Basically, the things that you want Pettersson to improve on (skating and size and strength) Necas is already there or almost there. Necas also had a better WJC to boot and didn't clearly lack in strength the way Pettersson was.

I can't see how Necas will be a bust as far as being an NHL player is concerned. He is fast, skilled, projects to have a decent frame, works hard, is a relentless forechecker, backchecks, blocks shots, and isn't afraid to throw hits or go to the net. There aren't really noticeable weaknesses in his game.

according to this

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yxwEPYJ7lG6oxKsKnX62e-u8P9saQnUAXrtWVFhCFzg/edit?usp=sharing

necas is actually rated higher. but they are so neck and neck its crazy.

whats concerning is that he only has one vote by Canucks fans in this poll. At CDC he also very much an unknown also. What happens to this place IF we actually select Necas with Vilardi, Petterson, Glass, Mitt Still on board? its going to be a hell hole in here, and there is a chance Canucks might pick Necas.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus

It's real, real close. One variance spread sheet from about a month ago has Necas ranked from 3-13 while Pettersson was 5-27. The 'experts' just don't know.

The other thing is Necas will be a centre, no ifs or buts, unlike some of the other eligibles. If we somehow get a 1st out of Dallas or Buffalo my instinct would be to grab them both, or go Pettersson and Glass/Necas, and pencil the former as a winger while still feeling comfy at centre if one busts. Stack those forward ranks as the Nucks are crying for offensive help the most. Then we go nuts on D from round two onward.

Figure OJ, Stecher, Hutton, Brisebois and as many as three additional D prospects in the first 3 rounds this year will get it done. If the forwards are producing, some of the D will too by default, just as they did during the West Coast Express or when the Sedins dominated. Also, you never know, Tryamkin might come back when our window is opening we need him the most.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Tryamkin isn't coming back... you can tell he wasn't comfortable in North America, his family GF all back in Russia, I don't think he has any interest in the NHL anymore. He's a KHLer, make good money and play at home.

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Tryamkin isn't coming back... you can tell he wasn't comfortable in North America, his family GF all back in Russia, I don't think he has any interest in the NHL anymore. He's a KHLer, make good money and play at home.

Yeah if thats the case to hell with the guy :rant:

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
If Benning walks away from this draft with Glass and Makar I will.... well not sure how to finish that sentence but I will be SUPER happy :nod:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Considering he might be only one of two bona fide NHLers out of the 3rd round that year with legit shot at top 4, hopefully no one here.

Check back in two years when he'll be into his contract's last season in the K. Of course by that time the Buds wonderkids will be into the Benjamins and the club in need of cheap support players. Not sure this one will oblige. Either way, seriously up your offer. :naughty:

LOL yeah, hopefully no one would trade away a defenseman who just upped and left to go back to Russia. Let's tell other teams to check back in two years when it's even less likely that he returns. :laugh:

I would trade Tryamkin for pick 59 in a heartbeat. Hopefully everyone else would.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
according to this

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yxwEPYJ7lG6oxKsKnX62e-u8P9saQnUAXrtWVFhCFzg/edit?usp=sharing

necas is actually rated higher. but they are so neck and neck its crazy.

whats concerning is that he only has one vote by Canucks fans in this poll. At CDC he also very much an unknown also. What happens to this place IF we actually select Necas with Vilardi, Petterson, Glass, Mitt Still on board? its going to be a hell hole in here, and there is a chance Canucks might pick Necas.

And so there should be a huge outrage if Benning picks Necas over Vilardi, Pettersson, Glass, Mittelstadt, or Makar. That would be another stupid move by him.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
And so there should be a huge outrage if Benning picks Necas over Vilardi, Pettersson, Glass, Mittelstadt, or Makar. That would be another stupid move by him.

Outrage from some part of the fanbase no matter who they pick is guaranteed. Only question is, following 48 hours of grace/understandable immediate reaction rhetoric of their boy not being picked, will that segment show modicum of sense, lay off the "stupid move" comments and give it a couple years or more to see if it was... indeed... stupid. Based on the OJ v Tkachuk discussions I have my suspicions. Loads of fun. :popcorn:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Outrage from some part of the fanbase no matter who they pick is guaranteed. Only question is, following 48 hours of grace/understandable immediate reaction rhetoric of their boy not being picked, will that segment show modicum of sense, lay off the "stupid move" comments and give it a couple years or more to see if it was... indeed... stupid. Based on the OJ v Tkachuk discussions I have my suspicions. Loads of fun. :popcorn:

Based on the OJ vs. Tkachuk discussions, those who were angry that we passed on Tkachuk were right on draft day, and are right today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad