2017 NHL Draft Discussion Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Before, I said I would have a hard time seeing them pass on Mittelstadt if he is available. But then again, our FO is dumb enough to read too much into combine results so maybe not.

I really don't know at this point. Virtanen and Juolevi were both obvious to me, but this draft is hard to read. I still have a hard time seeing them take a D, and think they are obsessed with needing a "play-making C," but it doesn't really feel like they care about Glass. Maybe they are just better at hiding their cards this year.

Also, I didn't notice before that Mittelstadt is from Eden Prairie, which, if you watch Fargo...well, at least his last name isn't Stussy.

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
My gut is telling me they'll reach (IMO it's a slight reach) for Glass at 5. Hope it isn't true, would prefer any of Pettersson, Makar, Vilardi or Mittelstadt over Glass.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
My gut is telling me they'll reach (IMO it's a reach) for Glass at 5. Hope it isn't true, would prefer any of Pettersson, Makar, Vilardi or Mittelstadt over Glass.

It really comes down to who they think will be the best player between ages 20 -32. Don't worry too much who makes it to the NHL the fastest of that group.

All of the centres above have the base skill set to be good 2C.

I think one of them is capable of being a 1C. But, it's no guarantee who that guy will be.

Pettersson - have to be patient with him as he works on gaining weight and strength. Only guys who come to mind that were are thin and lanky as him at the top of the draft are RNH and Turris. So, it takes time for someone 6'2 and 165 to get up into the mid 180's. My question about him is whether his game now shies away from the tough areas due to his lack of girth. But, when he gains that girth will be go into the tough areas or will he be comfortable on the outside if he is putting up points from there. Has the most pure talent of the remaining group of C.

Vilardi - probably the safest of the C's to play in the NHL. He just lacks the speed that the Canucks need long term. But, that shouldn't prevent them from taking him. His ability to be a 1C will likely depend on him improving his skating to add some speed/explosiveness. Don't expect him to turn into Larkin/McDavid in that area, but he'll have to get faster. His skating strength should lie in being strong on his skates and using his body to protect the puck and make plays.

Mittlestadt - I think he has really good upside. Not worried about him having to gain strength. U. of Minnesota will help him do that. Has the girth at 200 lbs, just needs to mold it into a NHL calibre body. Just a matter of gaging whether he has the work ethic to get stronger. Think his offensive skill upside is between Peterson and Vilardi. He has speed, which the Canucks need.

Glass - further along in his development than CM. Needs to get stronger and improve his explosiveness in his skating. Getting good coaching in Portland and has a sound 2 way game. Really comes down to how the draft shapes up.

If Dallas keeps the pick, then with them and Col ahead of Van, I expect Heiskanen and one of Vilardi/Mittlestadt to be taken. Doubt Peterson/Glass goes that high.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vilardi > Glass > CM > Petersson for me

But who knows really...Petersson could end up being the best and Vilardi the worst and I wouldnt be surprised. This draft is a total crapshoot

lawrence

May 19, 2012
We're going to end up with either makar, petterson or necas at 5. That's my gut feeling.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
We're going to end up with either makar, petterson or necas at 5. That's my gut feeling.

Necas would be a pretty bad pick at 5, I wouldn't mind reaching for Pettersson at 5 but Necas is someone you trade down for.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Necas would be a pretty bad pick at 5, I wouldn't mind reaching for Pettersson at 5 but Necas is someone you trade down for.

How so? Necas has been rated higher on most scouting sources out there.

Ohhhhhh boy.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
How so? Necas has been rated higher on most scouting sources out there.

Ohhhhhh boy.

On Bobby Mac's leaked list Necas is 11 and Pettersson is 7th.

http://imgur.com/a/sz3Ci

I think Pettersson has one of the highest ceilings in this draft whereas Necas has more question marks.

He's a superb decision maker, every shift he's doing something really smart or crafty or a combination of both. He's small but uses his anticipation and positioning to work around it. On the forecheck he won't be smoking opponents, instead he positions himself in spots to make the D put the puck where he wants and takes advantage of that.

I'd recommend his shift by shift video by ihaveyuidonttouchme

just follow 14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNeE0X12prw

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Watching video of Pettersson, he does not look like he shies from the dirty areas at all if he needs to get there. Also looks solid in board battles as he has long reach and incredible stickwork.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Kinda like how Blake Wheeler was a complete waste of a 5th overall pick in 2004? ;)

Different scenario lol.

And no, we should not trade the 5th overall pick for Ondrej Pavelec. ;)

At this point my preference is Makar/Vilardi, followed by Mittelstadt/Pettersson/Glass.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Different scenario lol.

And no, we should not trade the 5th overall pick for Ondrej Pavelec. ;)

At this point my preference is Makar/Vilardi, followed by Mittelstadt/Pettersson/Glass.

Personally I don't have a problem with any of those picks...my preference would be to try and trade down and scrape up as many picks in the 10-20 range as possible. I don't see much difference in tier levels from about 1 to 20/25. I'm pretty high on a few guys that might be had later...Suzuki, Tolvanen and Brannstrom. But if we picked one of the guys on your list i wouldn't complain.

He kinda was.

Turns out, he kinda wasn't.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Personally I don't have a problem with any of those picks...my preference would be to try and trade down and scrape up as many picks in the 10-20 range as possible. I don't see much difference in tier levels from about 1 to 20/25. I'm pretty high on a few guys that might be had later...Suzuki, Tolvanen and Brannstrom.

I see Vilardi and Makar a step above everyone else at that point. But my second grouping, you could replace them with guys like Suzuki and probably don't lose a whole lot. I see a lot of Robby Fabbri in Suzuki.

I'm very high on Tolvanen too. He was actually better in the USHL than Mittelstadt, averaging 4.5 shots per game, and scoring at a 0.80 PPG pace at even strength. I just have Mittelstadt higher because he's a C, and his sample size was a lot smaller that it's really difficult to get an accurate read off of it so I'm not sure how much stock to put in those numbers while ignoring everything else he did at the other levels. He put up video game-like numbers at the High School level.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Personally I don't have a problem with any of those picks...my preference would be to try and trade down and scrape up as many picks in the 10-20 range as possible. I don't see much difference in tier levels from about 1 to 20/25. I'm pretty high on a few guys that might be had later...Suzuki, Tolvanen and Brannstrom. But if we picked one of the guys on your list i wouldn't complain.

Ask the Coyotes about that. :)

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I see Vilardi and Makar a step above everyone else at that point. But my second grouping, you could replace them with guys like Suzuki and probably don't lose a whole lot. I see a lot of Robby Fabbri in Suzuki.

I'm very high on Tolvanen too. He was actually better in the USHL than Mittelstadt, averaging 4.5 shots per game, and scoring at a 0.80 PPG pace at even strength. I just have Mittelstadt higher because he's a C, and his sample size was a lot smaller that it's really difficult to get an accurate read off of it so I'm not sure how much stock to put in those numbers while ignoring everything else he did at the other levels. He put up video game-like numbers at the High School level.

I'm not really in love with any of the guys in our grouping, I really think that the best players to come out of this draft will be outliers (Tolvanen is my dark horse pick to be "Best in Draft"). I do like Makar and Pettersson best probably, but Vilardi is also a strong option if available.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I guess one could look at it that way...but the fact he was taken 5th overall, something that was widely scoffed at at the time, wasn't a mistake from a player evaluation aspect.

No, I know what you were saying, it was just a funny example to use because it was pretty much literally a wasted pick for them in the truest possible way.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I guess one could look at it that way...but the fact he was taken 5th overall, something that was widely scoffed at at the time, wasn't a mistake from a player evaluation aspect.

Re-looking at that draft, what an awful draft year. The Canucks did so well in the 2004 draft with Schneider (arguably a top 5 pick in a re-draft), Edler (arguably a top 10 pick in a re-draft) and Hansen (arguably a top 20 pick in a re-draft).

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Re-looking at that draft, what an awful draft year. The Canucks did so well in the 2004 draft with Schneider (arguably a top 5 pick in a re-draft), Edler (arguably a top 10 pick in a re-draft) and Hansen (arguably a top 20 pick in a re-draft).

Yeah, it was pretty terrible overall...but we can always remember that Cam Barker, 3rd overall in 2004 wore Canuck colors also. Way to go GMMG! :laugh:

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Glass or Makar!

I've given up on Vilardi as I don't think this organization is even interested :facepalm:

Want nothing to do with Mittelfats or a less skilled butter soft vanilla pudding poor man's version of RNH in Pettersson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad