2017 NHL Draft Discussion Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Just because a player makes the NHL in draft +1 doesn't mean he will be the better/more valuable player 5 years down the road.

I'm not making any decisions until we see what Juolevi can do in the NHL.

Draft picks in the NHL are long term projects and making a decision on who was the better pick only 1 season after they are drafted isn't smart and will lead to many wrong decisions.

Juolevi hasn't had the chance to prove what he can do / can be at the NHL level. It's a lot harder to player defense at the NHL level than it is to be a winger.

Tkachuk did show well this past season, no one can say otherwise, but in 5 years I think there is a good chance that Juolevi could be much more valuable than a pesky top 6 winger.

For me it's really who is better in the long run out of Juolevi, Segachev and Chychrun.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
:laugh:

We'll re-evaluate this on the difference between 5th and 12th overall in this draft in a few years. :popcorn: (For reference this is the difference between Mittelstadt and maybe Necas/Suzuki... you are calling Necas/Suzuki scraps essentially)

Let's re-evaluate this after Benning trades down and he then declares it a great move.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I will just say it: MS is not very high on him and his opinions carry a lot of weight here (as they should; I say this as a fan.)

This is also a pretty big factor in it and I have no problem with that -- the dude knows his hockey.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=132295299&postcount=106

Mediocre skater and weak on the puck. And not a natural finisher. Reminds me of Ryan Strome and I think maybe he can be an ok 2nd liner but not who I'd want at #5.

Also think the Johansen comparisons are based more on hometown and junior team than actual substance. I don't think Glass is nearly as athletic or dynamic as Johansen at the same age.

His concerns with are reasonable and I agree with him to an extent. I definitely think Glass needs to bulk up (or develop way better acceleration, but that's far less likely than bulking up) before he can become an effective NHL player.

I mainly have a problem with people writing the guy off because he's boring and unspectacular, which is a flat-out ridiculous way to evaluate a hockey player. And it's also pretty ironic given that our current best player is as vanilla as they come. This is something I will argue until the day I die.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Originally Posted by brhymes19 View Post
Who here would trade Tryamkin for pick 59?

Sorry horrible idea. IF big if, tryamkin comes back, he will be a very valuable asset. Can't blame him for wanting out of this cluster **** .... but lets see where we are in 2 - 3 years....

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
This is also a pretty big factor in it and I have no problem with that -- the dude knows his hockey.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=132295299&postcount=106

His concerns with are reasonable and I agree with him to an extent. I definitely think Glass needs to bulk up (or develop way better acceleration, but that's far less likely than bulking up) before he can become an effective NHL player.

I mainly have a problem with people writing the guy off because he's boring and unspectacular, which is a flat-out ridiculous way to evaluate a hockey player. And it's also pretty ironic given that our current best player is as vanilla as they come. This is something I will argue until the day I die.

Fair but his skating can/should improve as he bulks up. He has the frame to bulk up.

From what I've heard, he's more of cerebral player and relies on his vision as opposed to stick handling and speed.

I prefer a smarter player (specially at center) so this is why I'm high on him.

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI
Im still hoping for Glass, plays such a smart game, makes his line mates better. I think he can can take his game to another lvl with time and still growing

Pastor Of Muppets

Jan 19, 2017
Jesus, what?

My point is that most of the forwards who did that went on to become pretty damn good forwards. There aren't a lot of busts on there. The worst players are guys like Gagner, RNH, mostly Oilers. :laugh:

Now here is a list of defenders who played in the OHL at 19 and were pretty good. Actually I don't have that list but it is ****ing long and full of nobodies.

Now do you see my point?

The odds are exceptionally high that a forward who scored 48 points in the NHL at 19 is going to develop into a very god damn good player. The odds are not exceptionally high that a defender who had a meh season in the OHL at that age goes on to become Drew Doughty.

Odds aside..How many D from the 2016 draft even played in the NHL? (Sergachev for a cup of tea,Chychrun)..Not taking anything away from Tkachuks accomplishment...but defensemen take longer to develop than wingers...

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Odds aside..How many D from the 2016 draft even played in the NHL? (Sergachev for a cup of tea,Chychrun)..Not taking anything away from Tkachuks accomplishment...but defensemen take longer to develop than wingers...

Have never seen any evidence that this is true, at least for high draft picks. 1-3 years is typical for both forwards and D. Anything beyond that is a bad sign.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I still don't see why people who like Vilardi are down on Glass, I actually have them neck and neck with Glass being slightly higher since I feel like he has more upside due to not being as physically mature as Vilardi.

Pastor Of Muppets

Jan 19, 2017
Have never seen any evidence that this is true, at least for high draft picks. 1-3 years is typical for both forwards and D. Anything beyond that is a bad sign.

So you're saying its an even playing field for dmen and forwards to crack the NHL out of junior?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The more I read about Glass the more I like. Not a flashy player, but well rounded and does the small things right. Would you say Mark Schiefele is a good comparison stylistically? I've also seen people mention Ryan Johansen and Patrice Bergeron but I'm not sure if those are accurate.

Eh, the Scheifele comp has spread like wildfire thanks to Button. I can see some aspects of it, particularly the "projection pick" element of it. Especially if we're talking comparable to draft day Scheifele. Like Scheifele, i could see it taking a while for Glass to really fill out and become the player he's eventually going to be. They're also both smart, well-rounded, responsible, unselfish sort of players who fit really well within a "team game". But beyond that, and stylistically, i don't really like the comp much myself. I think Scheifele is always going to be the bigger, more physically imposing player, and the better pure shooter and more direct offensive player.

Stylistically and in terms of rough upside, the comp i go to for Cody Glass is someone like David Krejci. Maybe even a rich man's version of that as an absolute "ceiling" if Glass really does fill out, and adds a lot more power to his skating along with that (which is certainly possible given how not filled out his frame is right now as a result of his pretty substantial growth spurt).

I don't mean that comp as an insult in the slightest. If you get a David Krejci in his prime type player out of Glass, that's probably a fantastic pick where we're at. That's a top-scorer in the regular season and playoffs on a Stanley Cup winning squad type player. But similar to the way Glass plays, quietly fantastic and not really in the spotlight. Just making players around them better.

It's just a slight to this draft class in general. If there was someone in this draft i thought realistically projected as the Mark Scheifele we see today...? That player would be #1 on my board in this draft, easy. I don't think even Patrick or Hischier are remotely safe projections to be PPG impact #1 Centers like that.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I tend to have respect for guys who have been posting intelligently here for 15 years. I don't know why that's weird. Showing someone some respect is pretty foreign to a lot of you I suppose. But then, you strike me as being 13-14 years old so I guess it comes with age.

That is not the point, and I am not sure how I can make this any clearer.

IF a player plays in the NHL the year after being drafted, and IF the player has the kind of season that Tkachuk does, then the odds are very high he will be a good NHL player for many years, as virtually every single forward who has put up 45-55 points as an 18 year old have done.

Juolevi, the jury is still out. Nobody has written him off. Clearly, he still has plenty of time to make the NHL before anyone even thinks of using the B word, BUT even when he was drafted he was considered a somewhat low ceiling prospect, so it's hard to believe he is going to eclipse Tkachuk right now. It could happen. But Tkachuk clearly has the inside lane at the moment.

I am not sure how else to say this. I feel like I am just saying the same thing in different words. Maybe someone else can try. Maybe I can get some puppets to explain it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad