2017 New Uniforms, Names and Logos Thread

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Down East's look was released and it looks like a standard Brandiose look for a team without a completely insane name, which is to say it looks solid, but it's something that's been done 50 times before.

I approve of the color scheme...though that bright orange coupled with that font makes the script look like something that wouldn't have looked out of place in a mall food court circa 1995.

I still can't stand this trend of teams naming themselves after regional names that don't make any sense unless you're from the region, though.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Beware, swinging Brandiose duck incoming:

down_east_960_u1mqtxn3_vlw6ce23.jpg

Brandiose, you have become cliche.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Brandiose really only has two design choices at this point...

1. Bat**** insane garbage
or
2. Generic inoffensive recycling of the same few motifs.

Maybe letting the same people design every single goddamned thing isn't the best idea, minor league baseball.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Brandiose really only has two design choices at this point...

1. Bat**** insane garbage
or
2. Generic inoffensive recycling of the same few motifs.

Maybe letting the same people design every single goddamned thing isn't the best idea, minor league baseball.

And that's what they've hit on, even to the point where fonts are looking similar. Look at the "E" in "East" in Kinston'sDown East's wordmark. Now compare it to the "F" in "Fightin."

hzhVd5iO.jpg

I'm glad that my local team haven't and likely never will enlist Brandiose's services. On the hockey forums you see people complain about DaveArt's goalie masks because so many goalies have gone with DaveArt to the point where his masks are either firmly in crazy town or are generically inoffensive. We're at the same point here. It's like I've said before it's ironic that in adopting unique identities and going away from their parent's affiliate teams as was the norm in the '80s and early '90s, looks are now becoming more generic than ever.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
New branding and uniforms for the Memphis Redbirds done by Studio Simon. Guess what? They don't suck.

Logo-Board-e1484767545477.jpg

Jersey-Board.jpg

The primary logo replicates that of a neon street sign, quickly calling to mind Memphis’ iconic Beale Street, located just a few blocks from the ballpark. The tube lighting is applied elsewhere throughout the brand package, including in the primary word mark and the numbers seen on the jerseys. Both the home and away uniforms feature the neon “Memphis” across the front with the neon “M” formed in the shape of a music note, to honor the home of the blues and the birthplace of rock ‘n’ roll.

Memphis Redbirds logos

“Upon purchasing the Redbirds, our first priority was to reconnect as a local business operating in downtown Memphis,” said principal owner Peter Freund. “In doing so, we felt we needed an authentic brand that represented not only the storied history of Memphis, but the heart of the city itself.”

“Throughout this process, we wanted to create a brand that we could activate,” said president/general manager Craig Unger. “The new, more modern look pays homage to Memphis’ rich baseball heritage while keeping the connection to our St. Louis Cardinals affiliation. We have achieved this balance by maintaining the Redbirds name and color scheme, but also bringing back elements such as the music note ‘M’ from the 1970s.”

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
I gotta get down to some Redbirds games this year. Barbecue, baseball, and Beale all sound nice.

Get the Rendezvous plate at Autozone Park, you won't regret it. :)

Great rebrand by the Redbirds. Just all around style and uniqueness. (I was born in Memphis and visited the park at least twice.)

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Get the Rendezvous plate at Autozone Park, you won't regret it. :)

Great rebrand by the Redbirds. Just all around style and uniqueness. (I was born in Memphis and visited the park at least twice.)

I still dream of Rendezvous. I went there once and enjoyed it, but I was sick at the time and couldn't eat much. Had something like two ribs. Sad day.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
New logos and branding for the Lowell Spinners (Short Season-A, New York-Penn League)

lowell-sheet.jpg

uniform_and_caps_l1ntsxpm_b9ro7i1w.jpg

These were done by FS Design, who I'm not terribly familiar with.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
It's not Brandiose, but they sure tried their hardest to look like Brandiose. Gotta get that mascot swinging a bat...while covered in yarn.

To be fair 'Spinners' doesn't give anyone a lot to work with...but I'm not sure why an alligator is the mascot of a team based in ****ing Massachusetts, but it is what it is (and it's been that way since the mid-90s because the 90s).

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
It's not Brandiose, but they sure tried their hardest to look like Brandiose. Gotta get that mascot swinging a bat...while covered in yarn.

To be fair 'Spinners' doesn't give anyone a lot to work with...but I'm not sure why an alligator is the mascot of a team based in ****ing Massachusetts, but it is what it is (and it's been that way since the mid-90s because the 90s).

I would have gone with like a propeller head or something like that. Man most of these logos are just awful.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
First a few promotional one-offs for next season

On 6/1/17, the Asheville Tourists (Low A, SAL) will become the Beer City Tourists

BeerCityJersey-290x300.jpg

The Charlotte Knights (AAA, IL) will become the Charlotte Pitmasters for a 7/15/17 game

Charlotte-Pitmasters-e1489685901300.jpg

Pitmasters-Jersey-Cap-logo-set.jpg

On 8/11/17, the Aberdeen Ironbirds (Short Season A, NYPL) will become the Aberdeen Steamed Crabs

Steamed-Crabs-Uni-Front.jpg

Every Friday home game, the Erie SeaWolves (AA, EL) will host Fauxback Friday and wear these...beauties?

Fauxback-Friday-Jersey.png

And lastly, new caps for the Lansing Lugnuts (Low A, MWL) - these will be year-round.

Lansing-Lugnuts-new-hats.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad