2017 New Uniforms, Names and Logos Thread

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I wouldn't mind seeing the Salem Red Sox go back to being the Avalanche. Ditto the Winston-Salem Dash back to Warthogs.

This one for sure, although the Dash did do a promo this season where they took on the Warthogs identity, including uniforms and the return of their old mascot, Wally Warthog, for a few games. I think it might have been every Thursday home game. Fun and interesting fact - the current Stormy for the Hurricanes is a former Wally. Guy must have a thing for swine. :laugh:

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Central Florida has a name: It's the Fire Frogs.

Firefrogs_960_ribn9lby_qdg5x7px.jpg

Funky name, okay logos. I hope this is a sing that the rest are going downhill from here...

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Central Florida has a name: It's the Fire Frogs.

Firefrogs_960_ribn9lby_qdg5x7px.jpg

Funky name, okay logos. I hope this is a sing that the rest are going downhill from here...

Actually not as bad as I thought it would be. The name is cheesy don't get me wrong, but the logo is kind of cool. It certainly is better than Rodeo Clowns or Mud Kickers.

New Lynchburg Hillcats branding unveiled today:

Lynchburg_960_bofesq0i_ljnf9ewj.jpg

Lynchburg_200_px_cap_q90073k9_z2a91ema.jpg

For comparison, here's their old logo

Lynchburg_old_xsrqbms8_xqvl8ou2.jpg

I don't mind the color scheme, but I do think it looks rather clunky. Maybe if the green was a shade darker? :dunno:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The Hillcats had one of my favorite brands in the minors...that's not the case anymore.

At least their name isn't insufferably stupid, but that color scheme sure as hell is.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The Jacksonville Suns have rebranded and are now the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp.

jacksonville_pnsxx1ap_1mir752i.jpg

Jacksonville_200_px_jersey_iiziddbl_f817ts1w.jpg

Jacksonville_200_px_cap_d0m6t3ob_b1q1s9gm.jpg

Obviously another team hooked up with Brandiose whose designs are now starting to look all alike. Jacksonville's old branding:

12558844_1527916447504614_555454942_a.jpg

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
And the name of the new Kinston team in the Carolina League will be...the Down East Wood Ducks. Logo to be unveiled on 11/30. The logo will be designed by...you guessed it...Brandiose. For you non ornithologists out there, this is a wood duck.

woodduck.jpg

"People here are very familiar with Wood Ducks," said Howell, who spent the past five seasons as the Texas Rangers senior director of media sales. "Twenty-four hours after hatching they jump right out of their nests, ready to take on the world with a can-do spirit. And they have the sharpest claws, so there's a little fight and spunkiness to them as well. I think that's on par with the players in High-A -- they're still beginning their career and life as professional baseball players, and they're ready to take on the world, too, making progress toward their ultimate goal of playing Major League Baseball."

Grainger Stadium first hosted Carolina League Baseball in 1956, and did so consistently until the Kinston Indians departed for Zebulon, North Carolina, following the 2011 season (that team is now the Carolina Mudcats). Throughout the stadium's long professional history, all of the teams playing there included "Kinston" in the team name. The Down East Wood Ducks represent a clear break from that tradition.

"Our purpose is not to ignore Kinston; it's to pull people in," said Howell. "We want more and more people to feel included, to think 'This is my team now.' And we want those people to come to Kinston, to stay in its hotels and eat in its restaurants. We want to be a part of a weekend in Kinston, which has become a destination and not just a place to pass through."

He continued, "And when you think 'Down East,' you think of the beach and a fun, family environment. That's what goes on with us at a baseball game. So there's a lot of connection there to the Down East tradition."

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The Jacksonville Suns have rebranded and are now the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp.

jacksonville_pnsxx1ap_1mir752i.jpg

Jacksonville_200_px_jersey_iiziddbl_f817ts1w.jpg

Jacksonville_200_px_cap_d0m6t3ob_b1q1s9gm.jpg

Obviously another team hooked up with Brandiose whose designs are now starting to look all alike. Jacksonville's old branding:

12558844_1527916447504614_555454942_a.jpg

Yeah, Jumbo Shrimp vs. Suns. Suns win 100 times out of 100.

At least the logo is kind of cool, the colors are too.

And the name of the new Kinston team in the Carolina League will be...the Down East Wood Ducks. Logo to be unveiled on 11/30. The logo will be designed by...you guessed it...Brandiose. For you non ornithologists out there, this is a wood duck.

woodduck.jpg

Not going to lie, I was kind of hoping for Shaggers, just to see what everyones reaction would be :laugh:. 'Down East' still doesn't make any sense, I know locals in Eastern NC use the term, but most people probably think of Maine when they hear 'Down East'.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'm getting sick of bashing every new name and logo that comes out, and yet the garbage doesn't stop.

Down East? Jumbo Shrimp?

Brandiose needs to be stopped.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Bronies are the new trekkies.

They're......something.

Anyway...back to topic....Is the plan to make the most random names? I get that the minors has always had interesting names, but this is really getting over the top.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
They're......something.

Anyway...back to topic....Is the plan to make the most random names? I get that the minors has always had interesting names, but this is really getting over the top.

Then congrats, Brandiose thinks their strategies are working!

The negative attention didn’t bother Brandiose, the San Diego-based sports marketing company that came up with Hartford’s logo, which consists of a horned, bearded goat gnawing on a baseball bat. The brainchild of longtime friends Jason Klein and Casey White, the firm specializes in developing unique team identities. By now, the duo has learned that pushback against a name as strange as Yard Goats isn’t a bad thing. “You want it to be polarizing,†Klein said, because it shows that the public is interested.

My complaint about Brandiose isn't that they necessarily suck - I rather like some of their branding. It's a lot like the complaints people have about Dave Gunnarsson's mask art -they've so frequently gone to the well to use the same elements, the same font, the same look, essentially, that in trying to craft unique identities for minor league teams they've actually caused teams to look more alike than at any point since MiLB teams started adopting their own identities. I pointed this out a little last year when the new Norfolk Tides branding had elements that reminded me so strongly of the Charlotte Knights branding that it came off as disingenuous you're crafting unique identities when rival teams within the same division essentially used the same typeface.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
I have to wonder why the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp, as they now call themselves, ditched the Suns moniker. Did the Hagerstown Suns (Low A, South Atlantic League) wanted to be the only MiLB team with that name? And this has to be in the works for a while. You don't change names and logos on a whim.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The Jacksonville team should have named themselves the Hurricanes just to **** with everyone. I can see a lot of graphic mistakes on local TV there showing the U of Miami and the NHL Hurricanes logos already :laugh:

Actually, the more I think about it, they really should have over 'Jumbo Shrimp'. Hell Lightning would have been fine too, probably not Panthers though :laugh:

At least the Lynchburg Hillcats are still in tact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad