2017 New Uniforms, Names and Logos Thread

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
I'm jumping the gun with this tread in May, but already AAA New Orleans and AA Binghamton has signaled that they want to changed names, and A-Short Season Batavia will move to Waldorf, Maryland, home of the Indy's Atlantic League's Southern Maryland Blue Crabs. It will be an interesting time in the minors and lower in the logos, names and uniforms department. This tread will be the go-to spot for all the changes for the 2017 season.

I hate to be a "back-seat mod," but if this needs to be locked up, mods, please do. :blush:

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Looks like the Lynchburg Hillcats (High-A, Carolina League, Atlanta Braves affiliate) will be joining Binghamton and New Orleans in the list of teams rebranding for next season. They're teaming with Brandiose to rebrand and are taking suggestions on their website. The team has been the Hillcats for 11 years, having previously been named for whomever their MLB affiliate was (Red Sox, Mets, Rangers, Twins, and White Sox).

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
They've actually been the Hillcats since '95 when they became affiliated with the Pirates. As a kid that was my absolute favorite minor league team and it remains one of my favorites...now they're pulling a lame name the team thing that'll probably result in a bunch of unintentionally suggestive crap names. Lame.

Also Brandiose is heading things, so you can already guess what the logo will look like. Lame.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Doesn't the Falwell family control the Lynchburg team? Heard they've been changing everything at their university too so change isn't really surprising

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
They've actually been the Hillcats since '95 when they became affiliated with the Pirates. As a kid that was my absolute favorite minor league team and it remains one of my favorites...now they're pulling a lame name the team thing that'll probably result in a bunch of unintentionally suggestive crap names. Lame.

Also Brandiose is heading things, so you can already guess what the logo will look like. Lame.

Ah jeez I'm getting old. I knew it was 95 but forgot that '95 was 21 years ago, not 11 years ago.

Doesn't the Falwell family control the Lynchburg team? Heard they've been changing everything at their university too so change isn't really surprising

Not anymore. Calvin Falwell, who was related to Jerry, was President of the Lynchburg Baseball Corporation, the public entity that owned the team, until his death in 2011. The team was purchased in late 2015 by the Elmore Sports Group, who also own the Colorado Springs Sky Sox, the San Antonio Missions, the Inland Empire 66ers, the Eugene Emeralds, and the Idaho Falls Chukars.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
7 Finalists announced for AAA New Orleans Zephyrs' Name Change

New Orleans Baby Cakes: A tribute to the Mardi Gras king cakes where small plastic babies are sought after, the Baby Cakes celebrates a unique Louisiana tradition.

New Orleans Crawfish: Pays tribute to those lovable and tasty critters we hold festivals for, and who call New Orleans home.

New Orleans King Cakes: The King Cake tradition bring families and community members together to celebrate the joyous season of Mardi Gras, just like Minor League Baseball draws families together.

New Orleans Night Owls: Both a play on words and an alliteration, Night Owls celebrates the New Orleans nightlife and a night out at the ballpark.

New Orleans Po’boys: A tribute to the culinary capital of the Gulf Cost, this fun name falls in line with other wacky names Minor League Baseball is known for.

New Orleans Red Eyes: New Orleans Red Eyes honors Louisiana’s crawfish festivals, and the bright red crawfish New Orleans love.

New Orleans Tailgators: Alligators are synonymous with Louisiana, and tailgating is synonymous with baseball.

Unfortunately, Beignets was left off the list. :(

If I had to choose, I could live with Crawfish.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
7 Finalists announced for AAA New Orleans Zephyrs' Name Change

Unfortunately, Beignets was left off the list. :(

If I had to choose, I could live with Crawfish.

I could deal with Crawfish even though the name would essentially be duplicated by the Hickory Crawdads of the South Atlantic League. I also don't mind Po'Boys. Night Owls could lead to some fun branding but just seems a little clunky. As for Tailgators...who tailgates a baseball game, especially in MiLB? King Cakes and Baby Cakes I want to see no part of and approach Binghamton levels of ridiculousness for describing the same concept.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I've tailgated football. I've tailgated hockey. I've tailgated concerts. I've never tailgated baseball. Nor have I ever seen tailgating at baseball at any of the parks, be it MiLB, MLB, or even NCAA that I've been to.

If they go for King Cakes or Baby Cakes maybe they can get this thing on loan from the Pelicans to be their mascot?

020613_halftime_01.jpg

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The finalists for the new name for the Lynchburg Hillcats have been released and you can vote on them here. Finalists are

• Lynchburg Lamb Chops - A celebration of Lynchburg's faith-based heritage, the Lamb Chops combines the community's servant-spirit with the fun of Minor League Baseball.
  • Lynchburg Doves - The Lynchburg Doves pays tribute both to Lynchburg's hunting culture and the community's faith-based history.
  • Lynchburg Hillcats - Hillcats honors the 7 hills Lynchburg is known for and Lynchburg's baseball history.
  • Lynchburg Derechos - Locals know Derechos are mighty storms, symbolic of the power and strength of players working their way up to the big leagues.
  • Lynchburg River Runners - Honoring Lynchburg founder John Lynch, the River Runners celebrates the man who ran goods across the James River and the town he founded.
  • Lynchburg Love Apples - Love Apples is a tribute to the Lynchburg legend that Thomas Jefferson was the first to bite into tomato (called a Love Apple) proving that tomatoes weren't poisonous.

Woof. I voted for them to keep Hillcats.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Yeah, just keep the Hillcats name please. Lambchops? Are they going to use that puppet from the PBS show as their mascot?

Baby Cakes? Hell just name them the New Orleans McBaseball Faces if that's the winner.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Rodeo Clowns, oh my :biglaugh:

I can see the uniforms and mascot now, and it won't be pretty. Though it would be funny if it were one of those one-time, never again, things.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Some Collegiate Summer Baseball League news, no link, but the Northwoods League will welcome Bismarck, ND & Fond du Luc, WI to their league for 2017. Names to be announce soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad