2017 New Uniforms, Names and Logos Thread

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The finalists for the Staten Island Yankees new name have been released:

Staten Island Bridge Trolls - Bridge Trolls commemorates the iconic bridges that connect Staten Island, while embracing the kind of wacky names Minor League Baseball is known for.

Staten Island Heroes - The Heroes honors the civil servants and military personnel of Staten Island and New York who work tirelessly to uphold our American values.

Staten Island Killer Bees - Killer Bees pays tribute to Staten Island’s musical and cultural impact. Fans will be “buzzing†over our bee-themed promotions!

Staten Island Pizza Rats - Like Staten Islanders and New Yorkers, these natives are tenacious, enterprising and know where to find the best food in the city.

Staten Island Rock Pigeons - Another animal synonymous with the city, the Rock Pigeons celebrates Staten Island – known by locals as “The Rock.â€

You can vote here. Go Rock Pigeons? :help:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Just name them the Ratbirds and be done with it. All of those names are embarrassing.

I don't know why these minor league teams feel that they can't market to anyone older than the age of 4.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Voted for 'Heroes' but they can do better.

It's unofficial, but the Class A-Advance's Bakersfield and High Desert are heading east to the Carolina League. Looks like the locations are probably Kinston & Fayetteville, NC. The California League will only have one division, based on this article. Wow.

Edit Official Link.

I don't know anything about Bakersfield but there's no way Kinston is an upgrade over Bakersfield. Fayetteville isn't great either, but can be doable. I'd much rather see Wilmington or Savannah get this team.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
The finalists for the Staten Island Yankees new name have been released:

Staten Island Bridge Trolls - Bridge Trolls commemorates the iconic bridges that connect Staten Island, while embracing the kind of wacky names Minor League Baseball is known for.

Staten Island Heroes - The Heroes honors the civil servants and military personnel of Staten Island and New York who work tirelessly to uphold our American values.

Staten Island Killer Bees - Killer Bees pays tribute to Staten Island’s musical and cultural impact. Fans will be “buzzing†over our bee-themed promotions!

Staten Island Pizza Rats - Like Staten Islanders and New Yorkers, these natives are tenacious, enterprising and know where to find the best food in the city.

Staten Island Rock Pigeons - Another animal synonymous with the city, the Rock Pigeons celebrates Staten Island – known by locals as “The Rock.â€

You can vote here. Go Rock Pigeons? :help:

Does Splinter from TMNT eat pizza? :help:

It's just cringe worthy how bad the names are this goround.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Voted for 'Heroes' but they can do better.

I don't know anything about Bakersfield but there's no way Kinston is an upgrade over Bakersfield. Fayetteville isn't great either, but can be doable. I'd much rather see Wilmington or Savannah get this team.

The difference is in the ballparks. Both Sam Lynn Ballpark (Bakersfield) and Grainger Stadium (Kinston) are older parks from the '40s (Sam Lynn from the early 40s, Grainger from the late 40s), but Grainger has been better taken care of and doesn't have the problem of facing due west into the setting sun (Sam Lynn for years had to have sun delays for early evening games so as to not blind batters. I believe this was remedied with later than usual start times. It's not just that but the facilities are generally regarded as "dilapidated" (said by a high school baseball coach I read an interview with) and definitely not fit for affiliated minor league ball any longer. Even still, the Blaze were actively looking for a new park up to a few years ago when talks for a ballpark in Salinas fell through.

Grainger may get there one day but as far as I can tell, facilities were never an issue for the Indians when they played there (it was only the purchase of the Indians by Steve Bryant to relocate to Zebulon to replace the Double-A Mudcats that caused the end of the K-Tribe's run).

As for Wilmington and Savannah, both would need new ballparks (Savannah just lost the Low-A Sand Gnats over how poor Grayson Stadium is. They're not going to get a High-A team without solid plans in place to replace it) and Savannah's pretty far out of the Carolina League footprint to begin with - next closest team would be Myrtle Beach and trips between Savannah and Wilmington, DE (the northernmost team in the CL) would be pretty awful.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Kinston reveals finalists team names.

Like the Kissimmee team, Kinston will go with Down East team name. Just look here:

Down East Eagles
A nod to baseball history in the Eastern part of the state, the Eagles were the first pro team to play at Historic Grainger Stadium.

Down East HamHawks
As one of the country’s biggest pork producers, there’s no questioning the importance of the mighty pig in North Carolina. But, hogs are just a fraction of what the state is known for – this is also the birthplace of aviation. This team name is a play on words paying homage to some of the state’s most notable contributions.

Down East Hogzillas
Whole hog BBQ is part of the very fabric that makes Eastern North Carolina a colorful place. Hogzilla is a mighty and powerful team ready to bring home the bacon, and the wins, for fans.

Down East Shaggers
The Carolina Shag is a partner dance that will leave your toes tapping. Watch for members of this team to shag balls on the field and maybe even invite you to dance at the ballpark.

Down East Wood Ducks
Also known as “woodies”, these colorful local waterfowl and a favorite among local hunters and boast some of the sharpest claws among all ducks. Less than 24 hours after hatching, these gutsy ducklings make a long and unassisted jump out of their nest high above the ground. Look for this team to make equally plucky plays on the field.

Wood Ducks is the only one that's semi-sensible. Hogzillas makes me want to cook myself in a barbecue pit.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Don't look at me, I suggested Scouts. Scouts would pay homage both to their previous Kinston Indians name and fit in with being a farm team of the Rangers. On top of that they could have reused their old mascot...

kinstonscoutSM.jpg

HamHawks and Hogzilla are awful on so many levels, especially HamHawks. The intentional misspelling of "ham hock" is offensive to my senses, especially in a town increasingly known for its food scene (the renowned Chef and Farmer restaurant, the subject of the PBS series A Chef's Life, is in Kinston).

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Why in Gods name would someone think "Down East" is a good idea? It makes Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim seem reasonable.

As for those names, Eagles please. Yeah it's generic but it's the only one on that list that doesn't make me :facepalm:

Down East Shaggers sounds like a name for a really bad adult film.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Why in Gods name would someone think "Down East" is a good idea? It makes Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim seem reasonable.

As for those names, Eagles please. Yeah it's generic but it's the only one on that list that doesn't make me :facepalm:

Down East Shaggers sounds like a name for a really bad adult film.

That or Shaggy from Scooby Doo's cousin.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
The American Association will welcome the Cleburne (TX) Railroaders for the 2017 season. I don't have the uniform, but I do have a logo:

Railroaders-Main-Logo.png

A tad tacky, but that's indy ball for ya.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
I know this is about official changes in the minors, but I'm going off-topic to ask an question :blush: :

Which minor league level identity, logo, name, or jerseys would you like to change?

My nomine: The Portland (ME) Sea Dogs (Class Double A; Eastern League; Red Sox Affiliate). The P logo is starting to look dated. The wordmark can stay, though.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I know this is about official changes in the minors, but I'm going off-topic to ask an question :blush: :

Which minor league level identity, logo, name, or jerseys would you like to change?

My nomine: The Portland (ME) Sea Dogs (Class Double A; Eastern League; Red Sox Affiliate). The P logo is starting to look dated. The wordmark can stay, though.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Salem Red Sox go back to being the Avalanche. Ditto the Winston-Salem Dash back to Warthogs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad