GDT: 2017 free agent frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm not sure what is so impressive about that group.

I'm not calling it elite league wide but,

Scandella >>>> Gorger, Bealieu> Falk. Antipin should be > Franson, and improving the blueline depth is the biggest + for them, and they aren't coached by Bylsma anymore.

It was a nightmare for them last year.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm not calling it elite league wide but,

Scandella >>>> Gorger, Bealieu> Falk. Antipin should be > Franson, and improving the blueline depth is the biggest + for them, and they aren't coached by Bylsma anymore.

It was a nightmare for them last year.

True, those are improvements.

The biggest being Bylsma is gone. He is terrible.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
True, those are improvements.

The biggest being Bylsma is gone. He is terrible.

They got outshot every game, one of the worst 5on5 teams in the league. If they had the lead iwhen the 3rd started they just tried to held up the lead.

Those improvements on defense with Housley hiring could be a big help for Eichel and others in offense.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
Larry Lage of the Associated Press touches on booms and busts in recent years of free agency. His comments on Big Z.

"ZDENO CHARA: It's not easy to remember the huge defenceman playing for a team other than the Boston Bruins. They signed him as a free agent in 2006 after he spent his first eight seasons with the New York Islanders and Ottawa. Chara helped Boston hoist the Stanley Cup in 2011 and won the Norris Trophy in 2009."

Others noteables fitting each category in this link for his article.
http://www.metronews.ca/sports/2017/06/30/booms-busts-in-nhl-free-agency-during-salary-cap-era.html

What other Bruins signings in recent years have earned the Boom or Bust handle?
Whole heartedly agree on big Z being a huge boom and will tag Marty LaPoint as a big bust.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Larry Lage of the Associated Press touches on booms and busts in recent years of free agency. His comments on Big Z.

"ZDENO CHARA: It's not easy to remember the huge defenceman playing for a team other than the Boston Bruins. They signed him as a free agent in 2006 after he spent his first eight seasons with the New York Islanders and Ottawa. Chara helped Boston hoist the Stanley Cup in 2011 and won the Norris Trophy in 2009."

http://www.metronews.ca/sports/2017/06/30/booms-busts-in-nhl-free-agency-during-salary-cap-era.html

Whole heartedly agree on big Z being a huge boom and will tag Marty LaPoint as a big bust.

Savard! Ryder ended up pretty decent overall, by our standards.

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland
Kind of pissed that this is taking place on a Saturday.

I made it a tradition the last bunch of years to work from home and be glued to the TV and Computer.

Now, I have to deal with the wife yelling at me for not doing anything. sigh

What?? Free agency day isn't nothing. It completely transforms the NHL every year. Try saying your happiness as a Bruins fan is on the line :popcorn::popcorn:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

Marty never put up the numbers but what he did for Patrice Bergeron was worth all that money.

Bergeron isn't the player his is today without Marty's help

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I figure they got 2 - 4 year window with the current core, maybe if they are lucky five years. Thereafter it will be mostly youth leading the team unless they add players of significance via FA or through trades.
Biggest need is still secondary scoring - solidify the second and third lines.
Followed by a reliable backup goaltender.
And then added defensive depth.

Maybe they address the defense in FA with the thought of then using asset depth to address scoring depth through trades.

Agreed. I think overall, the D is in better shape than the forward group. But... that's assuming McAvoy and Carlo continue on their expected trajectory. I can see the B's thinking ahead though - Do they need Chara's heir now (i.e., sign an impact top-pairing Dman) or do they already have him in-house (is McAvoy the next Bourque?). Can they ride Chara a few more years, maybe roll him down to the 2nd pairing, while the youth move up?

774EVER

& Now 374EVER
Saturday is Canada Day. Just say you're paying tribute to your Canadian brothers and sisters by doing something Canadian.

Soooo underwhelmed by this year's UFA crop.

Would rather see a solid hockey trade involving one of our prospects for a quality top six winger or top 4 dman.

Not all of the prospects will be given a shot in Boston as we all know, so it might be time for Donny to use these chips.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Florida signs Dadonov.

Now who will sign Markov to that 2y/6M deal he wants.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
I wouldn't have thought you guys would be interested in Daley. Does this make any sense?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I wouldn't have thought you guys would be interested in Daley. Does this make any sense?

There is interest among the fans and apparently it's been reported that we are in the running for his services. But I thought a deal with Detroit was imminent though?

He'd be a solid vet pickup for this club that wants to make some noise in the playoffs and help prevent Chara from burning out too early before or during a playoff run. With our top 4 that includes two kids age 20 and 19, having a good, LHD not named Chara that can offset some of that youth with experience is helpful.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
There is interest among the fans and apparently it's been reported that we are in the running for his services. But I thought a deal with Detroit was imminent though?

He'd be a solid vet pickup for this club that wants to make some noise in the playoffs and help prevent Chara from burning out too early before or during a playoff run. With our top 4 that includes two kids age 20 and 19, having a good, LHD not named Chara that can offset some of that youth with experience is helpful.

Yeah I thought he was going to Detroit too. If you guys do get him he's a way better player on the right side even though he is left handed. If his legs are good he'll still be a decent player but he's had some big leg injuries last 2 years. Not good when skating is your biggest asset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino