2017 Football Thread III: End of an Eli

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Wow. So he had a dumb TD celebration. Cool story! Must mean he's doing coke and weed on camera!!

Jesus Christ, get over it.

If you think that's ok, for young kids to see and think is OK, there is something seriously wrong with you. How many times has he been fined by the league for doing something stupid?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
There are plenty of silly celebrations. No harm to it what so ever. Joe Horn ripped out a mobile phone lol.

My only issue with over the top celebrations is that it can cost you a taunting or unsportsmanlike penalty.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
If you think that's ok, for young kids to see and think is OK, there is something seriously wrong with you. How many times has he been fined by the league for doing something stupid?

361176.jpg

Also, I like how you concern yourself with his money.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Not that the Jets and Giants would trade, but OBJ is not a guy I'd target. The Jets have had enough issues with character over the years, including guys still on the roster. And that's not even to say that OBJ has poor character or anything, I don't know him, so I can't say; but when I talk about character I'm including things like both on- and off-field distractions. The Jets have had enough of that. They need to get rid of Anderson and Donohue and start finding some better-character guys.

Reactions: Speedtrials

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Not that the Jets and Giants would trade, but OBJ is not a guy I'd target. The Jets have had enough issues with character over the years, including guys still on the roster. And that's not even to say that OBJ has poor character or anything, I don't know him, so I can't say; but when I talk about character I'm including things like both on- and off-field distractions. The Jets have had enough of that. They need to get rid of Anderson and Donohue and start finding some better-character guys.

OBJ is about as high character as it gets. He does some dumb shit, but there isn't a guy that gives more effort than him. His teammates love him and he gets along well with every single player, basically. That he does some dumb shit now and then doesn't mean he has any issues with character (I get that you're not saying he's low character). Frankly, I can't think of a guy who's a better teammate than him. His only issue is that he can get some tunnel vision when he's too amped up and that he may do a silly celebration.

But the dude plays injured, he doesn't avoid contact, he is a willing blocker, he will fight for every inch of field, and he has always had great relationships with his teammates. The only negative thing I've ever seen said about him was one instance in which Eli said he was "disappointed". And now he makes commercials with him.

Don't believe the media nonsense about him having any shred of a character issue.

Reactions: klingsor

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Ok, he's great then. Still wouldn't target him. JMO.
:: shrugs ::

It would all depend on the cost for most teams. If you can sign him for around what Evans is getting, every single team in the league with cap space would target him. Hopefully the Giants can sign him for 5/87.5, since he's easily worth $1M more per year than Evans.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Rodgers-Cromartie was cut by the Giants.

The Giants are purging just about anyone that was a bad locker room influence. Boggles my mind that Apple is still on this team. Maybe he's traded at the draft.

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
Back of the news today says trade OBJ if they're serious about CULTURE CHANGE...So Hunter G must have a clubhouse source with all his making every excuse to protect this creep...He is a punk that needs to go will Browns give us the number 4 plus second rounder?? Done deal...If Wellington was still around he would have been gone after the philly dog pee stunt.

Tomas Sandstrom 28

Aug 3, 2005
Objectively speaking -- OBJ is a top talent and a highly productive player. No real debates there.

Subjectively -- Depending on what you think of him, OBJ either:
1. Acts like a jackass, to the detriment of the team
2. Acts like a jackass, but his productivity makes up for it
3. does not act like a jackass

I would bet there are a bunch of people in the first two categories, probably not many in the 3rd. It's hard to say how much OBJ's behavior directly contributes to the team's performance.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Back of the news today says trade OBJ if they're serious about CULTURE CHANGE...So Hunter G must have a clubhouse source with all his making every excuse to protect this creep...He is a punk that needs to go will Browns give us the number 4 plus second rounder?? Done deal...If Wellington was still around he would have been gone after the philly dog pee stunt.

Without looking or knowing, I'm guessing it's a Pat Leonard classic.

Speedtrials

May 31, 2006
BB

Totally agree. No doubt a talented player, but just seems to refuse to grow up.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

This sounds like some absolute garbage.

He's a creep and a punk? That sounds like something rooted in something that I don't feel like getting into. Give your head a shake.

Gross comment and everyone should be ripping you a new one for it.

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
I can't even imagine what some of these people would say. Calling someone a "creep" for a video from years ago in Europe (Paris, apparently)? Sounds like something really deep-seated to me to actually go to that extreme.

I won't deny that OBJ needs to mature a little bit but acting like he's a cancer on this team and needs to go for culture change or that Wellington Mara would never tolerate his antics is absurd. How long did this team put up with guys like Jeremy Shockey in even more recent times? Too many extremes and hot takes with no sense in reality. Has there even been one teammate, former or current, that's said anything negative about OBJ as a teammate? Not one I can recall. Go ahead and trade Beckham, can't wait to see these same people bitch and whine about the Giants not having a game changer on offense soon after and then trying to figure out how to reacquire one.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Totally agree. No doubt a talented player, but just seems to refuse to grow up.

Why would this video play into that at all? It was from years ago. About three years ago or so based on his tattoos. Considering we haven't seen a single incident of anything like this over the last few years, wouldn't that actually be a sign that he did grow up and could be avoiding situations like this? One would assume something from 2016-2018 would've popped up had that been the case.

I also find it very curious that this dropped immediately after Mike Evans got paid.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I won't deny that OBJ needs to mature a little bit but acting like he's a cancer on this team and needs to go for culture change or that Wellington Mara would never tolerate his antics is absurd. How long did this team put up with guys like Jeremy Shockey in even more recent times? Too many extremes and hot takes with no sense in reality. Has there even been one teammate, former or current, that's said anything negative about OBJ as a teammate? Not one I can recall. Go ahead and trade Beckham, can't wait to see these same people ***** and whine about the Giants not having a game changer on offense soon after and then trying to figure out how to reacquire one.

Well said.

I just want to see the reasoning behind the disgusting comment calling him a "creep" and a "punk". Surprised "thug" wasn't thrown in there for good measure.

Reactions: 2Leetch_94

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
The only reason to trade Odell is if they do not want to re-sign him. That's it, and even that is dumb about 99% of the time.

The 1% is if the Giants do not want to pay him, say he wants to be the highest paid player in the league (his words), moving him for some kind of draft pick combination, another player, etc would be the only thing acceptable.

Letting him walk would be foolish. Not signing him to a contract would also be foolish. There are legit two moves:

Trade for assets or sign the guy. Anything else sets that team backwards.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The only reason to trade Odell is if they do not want to re-sign him. That's it, and even that is dumb about 99% of the time.

The 1% is if the Giants do not want to pay him, say he wants to be the highest paid player in the league (his words), moving him for some kind of draft pick combination, another player, etc would be the only thing acceptable.

Letting him walk would be foolish. Not signing him to a contract would also be foolish. There are legit two moves:

Trade for assets or sign the guy. Anything else sets that team backwards.

And in all honesty, I am fine trading him if we can get 90 cents on the dollar. I'm not fine trading a generational talent for less than that. I'd normally want 1.10 on the dollar or more.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Also, anyone not wanting OBJ on the Jets, except for not wanting to spend highest paid player in the league money, is wrong.

He'd be the most talented offensive player the Jets have had in forever. Easily more talented than any receiver I've watched play for the Jets (this includes Keyshawn Johnson who was very talented). Him and Curtis Martin would be the most gifted offensive players I've seen in green.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad