2017 Football Thread III: End of an Eli

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
This hopefully ensures they don't win more than 1 more game. 4 wins will kill them

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
HAHA. McAdoo on the team's reaction "not much reaction. I'm sure they'll have more for you later". Definitely a shot at the guys who talked a few weeks ago

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
These are like 80% of Eli's interceptions (hyperbole), and you're constantly reaming him for them....

Uh, no. I’m on him for bad throws. Not tipped balls. If a ball is tipped and it’s not an awful high pass, I’m never bashing the guy. You post stuff like this now and then for no real reason. It’s like you don’t get some of the criticism for his high throws, man.

If Webb/Geno throws air balls like Eli has? Then that’s a problem that needs addressing.

You somehow turned a point about shitty below replacement level WRs into a point on your Eli defending. Go back and re-read my criticisms of Manning.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Who was the last QB to start before Eli? Kurt? RIP. Wow. What a time we live in.

In actuality, Eli's handling of this reminds me why I will always cherish him in my heart after the stress in my arteries.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Who was the last QB to start before Eli? Kurt? RIP. Wow. What a time we live in.

In actuality, Eli's handling of this reminds me why I will always cherish him in my heart after the stress in my arteries.

It’s a full generation of Giants fans losing the only starting QB they knew. It’s kind of a surreal time.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Uh, no. I’m on him for bad throws. Not tipped balls. If a ball is tipped and it’s not an awful high pass, I’m never bashing the guy. You post stuff like this now and then for no real reason. It’s like you don’t get some of the criticism for his high throws, man.

If Webb/Geno throws air balls like Eli has? Then that’s a problem that needs addressing.

You somehow turned a point about ****ty below replacement level WRs into a point on your Eli defending. Go back and re-read my criticisms of Manning.
Most (not all) of your criticisms about Eli have been that he airmails balls or throws them in the dirt. It was your biggest thing when OBJ got hurt. He airmailed him on a quick slant. OBJ had to go up for it, and Eli put him in a vulnerable position with a bad throw. I remember your posts. There are only like 10 posters I even read on this forum anymore.

I guess you were being hyperbolic to make a point, but I don't care how the 15 INTs happen, if you're throwing 15 INTs in 5 games or less, I don't care if you're the best QB at reading defenses in the league, you probably suck, or at least definitely sucked for that stretch of games.

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
Sad to see it happen but to absolve Eli of all blame for this broken offense isn't an accurate portrayal of events either. As far as I'm concerned, Reese and McAdoo need to be joining Eli in a few weeks. Time to clean house and try to salvage what's left of this trainwreck.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Do you guys think they look at a QB in round 1 now? Does Webb seem like a guy who could be a good starting QB?

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
Do you guys think they look at a QB in round 1 now? Does Webb seem like a guy who could be a good starting QB?

We'd have to see Webb in action first. As of right now, I don't see any possible way Giants don't take a QB in the 1st round. Couldn't get a clearer signal than benching Eli for these last handful of games.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Wow, the end of an era.

I'm fine with the decision. Very few QBs get to go out on their own terms. Eli handling it like a true class act.

What I do have an issue with is Ben McAdoo making this decision. If things have gotten to the point that you're essentially giving up on the season in favor of evaluating future talent, you don't deserve to have a job anymore.

I really wonder what Reese is thinking. Is he really tied to McAdoo, sink or swim? Because I don't see a way Reese makes it through the offseason with his job unless he's able to sell ownership on a change of direction. How can you do that with a coach that's completely lost the team?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Every player in that locker room should be ****ing embarrassed. Embarrassed. 2-9 team. Eli had his part to play in that 2-9 record, for sure. But to be completely scapegoated? Taking the fall for every player in that locker room. For McAdoo. For Reese. For everyone's failures, Eli rides the pine. Heavy is the head that wears the crown, sure, but every single player in that room should be ashamed.

I'm ashamed.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Can't know that 'til we start him. Need to take a look at Geno first, apparently [eyeroll.gif]

I'm sure Webb will get his reps, it's just absurd to me that Geno gets first crack.
Oh goddamnit, you guys are actually starting Geno? Eh, I guess he helps secure the rest of the L’s this season, although I was actually intrigued to watch Webb

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
why are people pretending like this anything other than tanking and truly conceding this season?
Because our clown of a coach hasn't been fired. Compared to what expectations were coming into this season, there's no team in the league that's underperformed more than the Giants. All the petty suspensions and grumbling from the players just confirms that he's lost the team.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Every player in that locker room should be ****ing embarrassed. Embarrassed. 2-9 team. Eli had his part to play in that 2-9 record, for sure. But to be completely scapegoated? Taking the fall for every player in that locker room. For McAdoo. For Reese. For everyone's failures, Eli rides the pine. Heavy is the head that wears the crown, sure, but every single player in that room should be ashamed.

I'm ashamed.
Same reason Eli wins 2 superbowl MVPs. QBs get the credit and the heat whether or not they deserve it.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I understand sitting Eli but I don't see any point in putting Smith in.

Doesn't make the team better today and Smith has no tomorrow.

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
Don't see how Eli is being scapegoated for the entire team. Unfortunately it's impossible to bench the entire team. Maybe McAdoo can try suspending everybody before the season's out. Only way I'd agree with that assessment is if Reese and McAdoo are back for next season. They need to go as well. Not much to gain by firing them mid season unlike making a QB switch. They need to play Webb and see what they actually have, if Geno Smith ends up playing a majority of these games with Webb only getting a couple series here and there, well, that's just another dumb decision in a long line of them.

They should ALL be embarrassed and ashamed - Eli included. It's been a miserable season, top to bottom. Eli Manning is about as classy and hardworking as they come, but we've always gotten the good Eli with the bad Eli - even with the warts on this team. For the last couple seasons, it's been way more slanted into the bad Eli side. It's time for a change and Eli wasn't going to suddenly get younger and become super consistent. They just can't half ass it. John Mara needs to commit to cleaning house and start with holding the roster builder and roster manager equally as accountable for this team's shortcomings since 2012.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Most (not all) of your criticisms about Eli have been that he airmails balls or throws them in the dirt. It was your biggest thing when OBJ got hurt. He airmailed him on a quick slant. OBJ had to go up for it, and Eli put him in a vulnerable position with a bad throw. I remember your posts. There are only like 10 posters I even read on this forum anymore.

I guess you were being hyperbolic to make a point, but I don't care how the 15 INTs happen, if you're throwing 15 INTs in 5 games or less, I don't care if you're the best QB at reading defenses in the league, you probably suck, or at least definitely sucked for that stretch of games.

The entire point was about bad WRs not helping Geno or Webb and me not caring about whether they actually catch well-thrown balls. I'm not sure why you went off on some Eli tangent.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
The entire point was about bad WRs not helping Geno or Webb and me not caring about whether they actually catch well-thrown balls. I'm not sure why you went off on some Eli tangent.
Because not caring whether or not someone throws 15 INTs in 5 games and coming into the thread and bashing Eli every Sunday for throwing high or low is, to me, an extremely difficult concept to understand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->