Prospect Info: 2017 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Over Nolan Patrick? Man, I have a hard time seeing that.

It does seem as if Patrick has cemented himself as the #1. I thought Liljegren could make up ground, but I have even see a couple places knock him down to #3.

I like him a lot personally.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
It does seem as if Patrick has cemented himself as the #1. I thought Liljegren could make up ground, but I have even see a couple places knock him down to #3.

I like him a lot personally.

I just feel like the type of game Patrick brings is going to make it hard to knock him down a peg. I haven't seen any of Liljegren, so I dunno.

I did watch Middlestadt in person recently, he's like 15 on a lot of these lists, he was a real beaut.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I just feel like the type of game Patrick brings is going to make it hard to knock him down a peg. I haven't seen any of Liljegren, so I dunno.

I did watch Middlestadt in person recently, he's like 15 on a lot of these lists, he was a real beaut.

I've read that Middlestadt and Poehling are people a lot of folks expect to rise. Also the 6'5" Rasmussen on Tri-City.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I've read that Middlestadt and Poehling are people a lot of folks expect to rise. Also the 6'5" Rasmussen on Tri-City.

I thought Middlestadt was good in the U18 as an underager. This may be a good draft to take a center in the first round.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I thought Middlestadt was good in the U18 as an underager. This may be a good draft to take a center in the first round.

I'd like to catch some Tri-City games. I'm very interested in both Rasmussen and Valimaki.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
Still early in the season but I've found some shady online streams and got to watch a couple players:

ELIAS PETTERSSON: Kid has been on FIRE in the Allsvenskan. Honestly haven seen a prospect this good in that league since Filip Forsberg. He should sneak into the top 10 if he keeps it up.

MICHAEL RASMUSSEN: His scouting report was varied depending on who you talked to, but he's sitting on 11 goals in 10 games on a very mediocre Americans team. He's a man in a boys league at 6'5 200 lbs and takes over the ice. Put some muscle and you're looking at someone like Jumbo Joe. Unlike Thornton though his defensive play is poor through 10 games, but that can be taught.

MARTIN NECAS: I was really excited to see how he'd fair against guys in the big leagues, after absolutely dominating junior Czech hockey. So far so good with 8 points in 13 games. What really impresses me is his mental game, at 150lbs he can't really go 1v1 against some of the bigger guys, but he knows where the puck is going to bounce and is really quick to get to it. It's way to early to tell if he can mold into a small smart player like Gaudreau or Kane but his head is in the right place.

Guys that have disappointed so far:

URHO VAAKANAINEN: To be fair his ice time has been wohful, but he hasn't taken his opportunity too well. Starting to wonder if he'll remain a two way defenseman or mold into a defensive defenseman

SCOTT REEDY: Has been having a tough fight making a jump from U17 to U18. Taking too many penalties and not playing his game. Luckily it's a long season.

TIMOTHY LILJEGREN: Disaapointed mostly because of his "injury". Luckily it's just mono, so if he stops making out and gets back on the ice that would be great. This kid could honestly be special. Karlsson special.

Overall this draft is looking great, very deep and a lot of NHL potential. If we do miss the playoffs this would be a great year to stockpile 1st and 2nd rounders.

Edit: Also U18&U20 tourneys are going to be incredible to watch.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Still early in the season but I've found some shady online streams and got to watch a couple players:

ELIAS PETTERSSON: Kid has been on FIRE in the Allsvenskan. Honestly haven seen a prospect this good in that league since Filip Forsberg. He should sneak into the top 10 if he keeps it up.

MICHAEL RASMUSSEN: His scouting report was varied depending on who you talked to, but he's sitting on 11 goals in 10 games on a very mediocre Americans team. He's a man in a boys league at 6'5 200 lbs and takes over the ice. Put some muscle and you're looking at someone like Jumbo Joe. Unlike Thornton though his defensive play is poor through 10 games, but that can be taught.

MARTIN NECAS: I was really excited to see how he'd fair against guys in the big leagues, after absolutely dominating junior Czech hockey. So far so good with 8 points in 13 games. What really impresses me is his mental game, at 150lbs he can't really go 1v1 against some of the bigger guys, but he knows where the puck is going to bounce and is really quick to get to it. It's way to early to tell if he can mold into a small smart player like Gaudreau or Kane but his head is in the right place.

URHO VAAKANAINEN: To be fair his ice time has been wohful, but he hasn't taken his opportunity too well. Starting to wonder if he'll remain a two way defenseman or mold into a defensive defenseman

SCOTT REEDY: Has been having a tough fight making a jump from U17 to U18. Taking too many penalties and not playing his game. Luckily it's a long season.

TIMOTHY LILJEGREN: Disaapointed mostly because of his "injury". Luckily it's just mono, so if he stops making out and gets back on the ice that would be great. This kid could honestly be special. Karlsson special.

Overall this draft is looking great, very deep and a lot of NHL potential. If we do miss the playoffs this would be a great year to stockpile 1st and 2nd rounders.

Since you watched Tri-City, what did you think of Valimaki? 8 pts in 10 gms so far, I see.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
Since you watched Tri-City, what did you think of Valimaki? 8 pts in 10 gms so far, I see.

I saw the game against the Silvertips on the 7th and the notes I had on him were:

0-0-(-1)-0 17-20TOI

Great skater, pinches like Seabrook. Sticks up for his teammates - likely why he's wearing an A. Two way mold similar to Dan Hamhuis. 5/6 defenseman late first early second pick

He was mostly invisible that game. Not really enough time for me to get too good of a read on him to be honest.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
No problem.

Couple of big games coming up...

Tomorrow: (Allsveskan) MODO vs. Timra (Wahlgren, Pettersson)

25 OCT: (Liiga) Sport vs. HIFK (Salo, Heiskanen)

29 OCT: Bulldogs vs. 67s (Strome, Entwistle, Studenic, Fulcher, Keating, Chmelevski, Hoefenmayer)

12&13 NOV: Wheat Kings vs Chiefs (Patrick, Mattheos Thompson (maybe?), Yamamoto, Anderson-Dolan, McGrew (maybe?))

19 NOV: (SEL) Frolunda vs. HV71 (Andersson, Vesalainen)

25 NOV: Spitfires vs. 67s (Vilardi, DiPietro, Boka)

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

I am very interested in Necas as a potential pick based upon what I have read. Have you found may good streams for Extraliga games? I think it is a good sign when young, undersized players can produce in a professional league.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
I am very interested in Necas as a potential pick based upon what I have read. Have you found may good streams for Extraliga games? I think it is a good sign when young, undersized players can produce in a professional league.

He's a great playmaker, the only thing that worries me is he's great at finding open space, but in order to have that success in NA he's going to have MUCH less ice to do it. I would like to have seen him in NA in the CHL but we'll have to wait until next year. It would be a gamble taking him in the top 15. But a great gamble if it pays off.

I find some streams on some Polish websites, the quality is poor but good enough to read the numbers.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
He's a great playmaker, the only thing that worries me is he's great at finding open space, but in order to have that success in NA he's going to have MUCH less ice to do it. I would like to have seen him in NA in the CHL but we'll have to wait until next year. It would be a gamble taking him in the top 15. But a great gamble if it pays off.

I find some streams on some Polish websites, the quality is poor but good enough to read the numbers.

I am a total contrarian on this point, but I think euro kids are far too anxious to play in the CHL. I mean yes, you are playing on NA ice, but you are playing against other kids and there is still a ton of space. I think playing against men, even on the big ice, is more beneficial provided you are getting adequate playing time.Just my 2 cents though.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Wasn't sure where to put this, but Sam Girard from last year's draft has 17 pts in 7 games so far. I think he has a legitimate shot at leading the Q in pts as a defenseman, which is absolutely insane.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

Urho Vaakanainen was sidelined little while because of head injury ( probably concussion).
That's why he isn't played so much.

Meanwhile Vaakanainen has been sidelined HIFK's Miro Heiskanen has been really good.
Heiskanen isn't biggest guy on the ice ( 6'0 tall) but he's been clearly HIFK's best defenseman.
He hasn't scored much points ( only 1 goal and 2 assists in 14 games) but still he's elite-talent.

As a player Heiskanen is
- amazing on skates
- Super poised
- ridiculous eye for passing and pinching
- surprisingly tough to knock off the puck
- Throws a good hits here and there and defends really well with his stick in his own end.
- He makes defensive zone plays that just look so effortless, stealing the puck with ease from the opponent
- His shot is surprisingly hard for a kid that just turned 17..

When you watch Heiskanen's game you won't believe him 17 yrs old.
If he stays healthy all season long there's no way for that he won't go outside of TOP20.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
Urho Vaakanainen was sidelined little while because of head injury ( probably concussion).
That's why he isn't played so much.

Meanwhile Vaakanainen has been sidelined HIFK's Miro Heiskanen has been really good.
Heiskanen isn't biggest guy on the ice ( 6'0 tall) but he's been clearly HIFK's best defenseman.
He hasn't scored much points ( only 1 goal and 2 assists in 14 games) but still he's elite-talent.

As a player Heiskanen is
- amazing on skates
- Super poised
- ridiculous eye for passing and pinching
- surprisingly tough to knock off the puck
- Throws a good hits here and there and defends really well with his stick in his own end.
- He makes defensive zone plays that just look so effortless, stealing the puck with ease from the opponent
- His shot is surprisingly hard for a kid that just turned 17..

When you watch Heiskanen's game you won't believe him 17 yrs old.
If he stays healthy all season long there's no way for that he won't go outside of TOP20.

Thanks for the insight! Finnish streams are the hardest for me to find.

Looks like HIFK and JYP will play on November the 12th. Ill try my best to watch Heiskanen and Vaakanainen play each other. Should be a good one!

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Foote is still my go-to for this draft.

Also like Rasmussen, Chmelevski, Poehling, Samorukov.

Would like to know more on some of these Finns (ones not in the CHL) and Swedes, in addition to what Tatar and FinnHockeyFan have already added. Thanks btw!

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Foote is still my go-to for this draft.

Also like Rasmussen, Chmelevski, Poehling, Samorukov.

Would like to know more on some of these Finns (ones not in the CHL) and Swedes, in addition to what Tatar and FinnHockeyFan have already added. Thanks btw!

I'd really like Foote as well, but seriously doubt he will be available when we draft.

Also, half the reason I am posting this video is I can't stop laughing at the announcers goal call. He sounds like he is getting bit by a dog while in the middle of saying 'scores'

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Thanks for the insight! Finnish streams are the hardest for me to find.

Looks like HIFK and JYP will play on November the 12th. Ill try my best to watch Heiskanen and Vaakanainen play each other. Should be a good one!

You are mistaken HIFK has game 12th November but it's not against JYP it's Kalpa vs HIFK in Kuopio.
Next game between HIFK vs JYP has scheduled 13th January 2017.

Yeah it's impossible to follow liiga games outside of Finland.
If Heiskanen and Vaakanainen stays healthy they'll be Finland's world junior team in Montreal.
So you can watch them there and make comparisons which one is better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad