Prospect Info: 2017 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Since the season is about to start, figured this board could use a discussion on next year's draft.

Any players you like?

Players you want the Wings to stay away from?

Dark horses?

EDIT: Detroit has their 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th. They also have Toronto's 3rd from the Babcock compensation, and Florida's 6th from the Kindl trade.

EDIT 2: http://www.eliteprospects.com/draftcenter.php?year=2017

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Real early still, but Callan Foote, Adam Foote's son is my early favorite target.

Also like Kostin, Vaakanainen, and possibly Hague.

Don't think Hague is like Stanley, because I think he skates much better.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
patrick nolan :sarcasm:

There's a good chance we'll pick top 10

HUGE fan of Vaakanainen.

Hague is also intriguing, almost a poor-mans Seabrook.

As far as forwards are concerned, although he's only 5'10, Tolvanen has been a treat to watch in international competitions. I really think if he puts together a good season and hits the gym I could see him growing into a Gaudreau mold. Unbelievably talented with the puck.

My prospect to-watch list is:

Vaakanainen
Tolvanen
Reedy
Vesalainen
Necas
Brannstrom
Brook

Also: really think Finland will take the U20 gold again. Don't know what they're pumping their kids full of but they're making some damn good hockey players

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I would happily be the worst team in the league if it meant we got to watch Liljegren in a wings jersey. Regardless I think we need a pretty high pick because there's 3 or 4 defenseman that already look like they'll stand above the rest and we could really use one of those.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Also: really think Finland will take the U20 gold again. Don't know what they're pumping their kids full of but they're making some damn good hockey players

-95 first World Championship started a hockey BOOM. These are kids who were born on that time and parents dedicated more for their careers.

From many different sports, Hockey became the ultimate TOP1 National Sport. Since that, Finland has been as hockey crazy as Canada.

After two decades, these kids who have lived from 1-year old in hockey dedicated families, are finally panning out.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Just started looking today but based on Elite Prospects chart I think I'm going to go out of my way to find some games on - Vaakanainen, Branstroom, and Foote.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I would happily be the worst team in the league if it meant we got to watch Liljegren in a wings jersey. Regardless I think we need a pretty high pick because there's 3 or 4 defenseman that already look like they'll stand above the rest and we could really use one of those.

I think he will end up going #1, but I could be wrong. I think he's that good.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Real early still, but Callan Foote, Adam Foote's son is my early favorite target.

Also like Kostin, Vaakanainen, and possibly Hague.

Don't think Hague is like Stanley, because I think he skates much better.

I will probably follow this draft class very closely because I think the big club is +/- about eight points from the final playoff spot in the East which could make a lot of different kids options for us.

Foote is a very, very good player. It will be interesting to see how is offensive game continues to develop in his draft year. He is a Denver kid that everyone around here has been talking about seemingly forever.

Vaakanainen certainly warrants a lot of consideration and has my interest. If you want to find a number 1 defensemen, I think you still need to focus on puck skills and IQ.

I thought Hague looked ok in the U18 and has always shown better offensive instincts and mobility than Stanley ever has.

I think that Mittelstadt (sp?), Poehling and Brook will move up the rankings during the season.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
I think we get pick 12 or so.. Need a D. How's Foote's skating? Big DD scare the hell out of me.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I hope we get liljegren

If not us, let the TML get him, no qualms watching a mad hockey market with a long term vision finally achieve it..

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
IMO, the top will look like:

1. Patrick
2. Liljegren
3. Hischier
4. Foote
5. Vaakanainen
6. Comtois
7. Hague
8. Kostin
9. Tolvanen
10. Mittelstadt

That will take Detroit out of the running for the top defenseman IMO. Maybe someone like Brannstrom will get into that mix, but I don't see many sure things after the top 4(in the draft) defenseman.

I am hoping my opinion will change.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
IMO, the top will look like:

1. Patrick
2. Liljegren
3. Hischier
4. Foote
5. Vaakanainen
6. Comtois
7. Hague
8. Kostin
9. Tolvanen
10. Mittelstadt

That will take Detroit out of the running for the top defenseman IMO. Maybe someone like Brannstrom will get into that mix, but I don't see many sure things after the top 4(in the draft) defenseman.

I am hoping my opinion will change.

I give you credit for taking on that challenge, but I think it is way too early to really predict the Top 10 of the 2017 draft class. A full season is a TON of development time when you are 17 or 18 years old.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
There's a good chance we'll pick top 10

HUGE fan of Vaakanainen.

Hague is also intriguing, almost a poor-mans Seabrook.

As far as forwards are concerned, although he's only 5'10, Tolvanen has been a treat to watch in international competitions. I really think if he puts together a good season and hits the gym I could see him growing into a Gaudreau mold. Unbelievably talented with the puck.

My prospect to-watch list is:

Vaakanainen
Tolvanen
Reedy
Vesalainen
Necas
Brannstrom
Brook

No chance we pick top 10 Holland would trade down to take 2 lesser prospects.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300

Though frustratingly Id agree that is something Holland would do, when you get inside the top 10 prospects you tend know what you're getting. The only reason I'd want to trade a pick inside the top 10 is for immediate help on D.

This draft looks a little deeper then last years but not quite as deep as 2018, so I'm hoping we can to build up a good prospect pool within the next couple drafts

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

With the exception that he hasn't done this since the Jurco and Ouellet draft, he's also not done it with a top ten pick.

He was trading a first for two seconds when we were picking mid 20s or dropping two spots and getting a second in Manthas year.

I know this will somehow turn into bending over backwards to defend Holland, but the stuff that is said like this just doesn't happen in situations like this.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
With the exception that he hasn't done this since the Jurco and Ouellet draft, he's also not done it with a top ten pick.

He was trading a first for two seconds when we were picking mid 20s or dropping two spots and getting a second in Manthas year.

I know this will somehow turn into bending over backwards to defend Holland, but the stuff that is said like this just doesn't happen in situations like this.

It was the 24th overall for Ottawa. They did pick Matt Puempel.

OTT #24 Matt Puempel
TOR #25 Stuart Percy
CHI #26 Philip Danault
TBL #27 Vladislav Namestnikov
MIN #28 Zach Phillips
VAN #29 Nicklas Jensen
ANA #30 Rickard Rakell
EDM #31 David Musil
STL #32 Ty Rattie
FLO #33 Rocco Grimaldi
NYI #34 Scott Mayfield
DET #35 Tomas Jurco

DET #48 Xavier Ouellet

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
It was the 24th overall for Ottawa. They did pick Matt Puempel.

OTT #24 Matt Puempel
TOR #25 Stuart Percy
CHI #26 Philip Danault
TBL #27 Vladislav Namestnikov
MIN #28 Zach Phillips
VAN #29 Nicklas Jensen
ANA #30 Rickard Rakell
EDM #31 David Musil
STL #32 Ty Rattie
FLO #33 Rocco Grimaldi
NYI #34 Scott Mayfield
DET #35 Tomas Jurco

DET #48 Xavier Ouellet

Right. I was saying. He deals back for seconds when he's drafting late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad