Prospect Info: 2017 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Seeing Michigan native Jason Robertson get some buzz and seems to be a riser.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=201455

From http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...mittelstadt-whos-got-finishing-kick/99666330/

Robertson/LW — Kingston. The kid scored 42 goals in Kingston with nobody around to help him. et he wasn't good enough to be one of the 24 forwards invited to the CHL Top Prospects Game? Are you joking? How did they screw up the vote on that one? We hear complaints about his skating, but he always gets where he needs to be. We're not even sure he'll get drafted in the first round, but he’s in Red Line's top 10.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Canuck fan coming in peace. Are the wings looking for a D or a fwd? If its a D would a trade like this be fair: Det 1st (7th) + Det 2nd (38th) for Van 1st (5th) + Van 3rd (67th)?

We very badly need defense and centers so honestly it's going to mostly depend on if the Wings brass love a guy. That's a very reasonable trade proposal and you honestly could probably get slightly better value elsewhere if you looked. The biggest hitch for me is that we already have 4 3rd rounders and I think most of us would much prefer to move some of those than our second.

With that in mind my counter proposal would be something like: 7th OA+2 3rds (you can have either the highest and the lowest or the two middle ones) for 5th OA. I think this trade is better as it gets you guys better value but also makes more sense for the way our picks are structured. If you don't like it then fine and I'd still probably do the first trade but it really depends on the situation. If say Liljegren is there at 5 and Hakan loves him It might make sense. If the Wings brass feel like all of the guys in the 5-10 range are roughly equal they probably won't be interested. It's really tough to judge a trade like this when we don't know who will be there and we don't know how our scouts view the players.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I watched Liljegren in two U20 games a week ago and honestly based on those games I find it hard to see him as a #1 d-man in the draft or a top-5 (even 10?) pick. Sure, he showed flashes of great offense but is that enough especially at that level? They played HV71 and Brännström was more impressive both offensively and defensively.

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I watched Liljegren in two U20 games a week ago and honestly based on those games I find it hard to see him as a #1 d-man in the draft or a top-5 (even 10?) pick. Sure, he showed flashes of great offense but is that enough especially at that level? They played HV71 and Brännström was more impressive both offensively and defensively.

I think with Lily for me it's always been about his potential to be an actually elite player. I don't see a ton of that with the other defense options in the draft. I think a guy like Heiskanen would be a very good very safe pick in the 7-10 range, but I don't see him having that elite capability. With Liljegren's skating, shot and the rest of his tools he could be the best player out of b this draft if his development goes well. I've really started to like the Kris Letang comparison. He probably won't hit that level but that's where his potential is IMO and if that's what we got out of the draft it's essentially the best case scenario.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Kinda didn't wanna share this because I'm a big fan, but I think he is probably the most polarizing prospect in this draft. You're not alone on your assessment.

NHL Scouts’ Comments

Nov. 2016 – He didn’t have a really good 5 Nations tournament, but he can really skate. Not playing up to the way he did last year. Get a better handle in later viewings

Mar. 7, 2016 – He thinks he’s something he’s not, and he keep screwing around..and keeps falling. He’ll be fine one day if he just figures out what he is..a good puck retriever, puck mover and be a really solid mobile defenceman, and don’t worry about the offensive side. He’s got talent…but what he tries to do is impress us, and he digs himself a hole. All he does is turn it over and over. He’s neglectful on the defensive side. The physical part he’s got…but you have to show maturity and know what you are…don’t try to be something you can’t be. At one time he was faster than everybody..now everybody’s catching up…so try to adapt. Can he adapt? Maybe… but the turnovers….it might come…but he could be a bust too.

Mar. 7, 2017 – The physical parts you’re not concerned about…he’s such a good skater..but what is he? You don’t know. He doesn’t really have a dimension when he skates, he doesn’t really accomplish much. You’re really putting your balls on the line if you have him in your top ten…or even your top 20. There’s lots to worry about there. He doesn’t play anywhere as well offensively as (Erik) Brannstrom. Liljegen doesn’t know how to find lanes or read the opponent to find the shooting and passing lanes..the other guy does. He changes the game so much it drives you nuts.

https://recrutes.ca/profile/timothy-liljegren/

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Kinda didn't wanna share this because I'm a big fan, but I think he is probably the most polarizing prospect in this draft. You're not alone on your assessment.

https://recrutes.ca/profile/timothy-liljegren/

This lines up with my assumption that he's trying to make up for his time out with and returning from mono with flashiness. From the gritty streams I've seen, he's often looking to make a play that isn't there but it's much different then when I was fanatical about him last season. He seemed more concern with progress then - now he looks like he's desperately trying to keep his draft hype afloat. In a way, it reminds me of Larkin's season this year.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I think the Wings are going Makar if they draft D.

acetehubernoob

Jun 28, 2011
We aren't going to get anyone good if we keep getting points....

Hopefully Liljegren falls because I really like him but hmm whatever at this point I guess.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
What a season...

"Hey, there's 2-3 players I really like that could help this team!"

*team falls to picking 5-6*

"Hey, now a few more guys have emerged; there are 5-6 players I really like that could help this team!"

*team falls to picking 7-8*

Hopefully some very kind ping pong balls fall their way...

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
What a season...

"Hey, there's 2-3 players I really like that could help this team!"

*team falls to picking 5-6*

"Hey, now a few more guys have emerged; there are 5-6 players I really like that could help this team!"

*team falls to picking 7-8*

Hopefully some very kind ping pong balls fall their way...
Yup. I'm not even really following the draft anymore, because we might not be able to draft any of the guys I'm excited about. Sigh.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
It will be a top-10 pick and the Red Wings haven't drafted top 10 since drafting Martin Lapointe 10th in 1991.

It will an impact player (not a franchise), but other than Patrick / Hischier, there aren't a lot of franchise (or borderline franchise) players in this draft. Plus, the next 10-15 players are pretty much all in the same tier.

I guess you can pessimistic about it, but I'd rather look at it as a glass half-full thing.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yup. I'm not even really following the draft anymore, because we might not be able to draft any of the guys I'm excited about. Sigh.

Maybe I'm taking myself into it, but...

Starting to like Petterson, Glass, Suzuki, Heiskanen more and more... and I think those guys will be there where we are picking.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan

Starting to like Petterson, Glass, Suzuki, Heiskanen more and more... and I think those guys will be there where we are picking.

But what do those players do for Detroit? They make the Wings a little better, but then prevent the Wings from drafting where the players the Wings really need are.

You can already see how this turns into a vicious cycle that sees the Wings bounce back between 10-16th overall for the next half decade.

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
But what do those players do for Detroit? They make the Wings a little better, but then prevent the Wings from drafting where the players the Wings really need are.

You can already see how this turns into a vicious cycle that sees the Wings bounce back between 10-16th overall for the next half decade.

I disagree with you there. Those players will be good contributors to our next core. They'll take 2-3 years before making an impact at the NHL level anyway and we've hopefully been drafting where we should in the mean time. It's a lottery system. Being as low as possible and having the best odds is obviously the best. But if we finish 25th I'm not going to automatically start discounting the players there because we need a lot of elite talent.

Cody Glass would be our best center prospect by a mile. Including Larkin who has already had some good NHL success. Heiskanen is a lock to be a top four NHL D. Will we need a truly franchise player or two to win? Yes, but rebuilds take a lot longer than one year and we need good or great players too. Even if we got Hischier this year it's not like we're done rebuilding. We need a lot of pieces and we will address one of those needs picking at 7 (assuming we choose wisely and their development goes well but you have to do that even if you're picking 3OA).

If we never get any elite talent you're right that we will fall back into the 10-16 but then we will have to trade our good but not elite pieces for picks and tank until we get those elite guys. You can argue our management would never do that but I don't expect the philosophy to remain the same after 5 years of bottom-10 finishes Which is what we're in for, Heiskanen or not.

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

I really like those guys too. I feel like you look into the draft more than most and a lot of others are sleeping on that tier of players because of the label "weak draft." If anything that label is advantageous to the Wings at ~7 because it's not like the guy at 4 is a much better pick this year. Sometimes two spots really matter, I don't think they will this year.

Petterson is skilled like crazy. If he can put weight on his frame he might be the best player to come out of this draft. Glass is a huge riser that honestly does everything well. I don't think he has the highest ceiling but there are some people who think he should be a top 3 pick. Heiskanen has been the most consistent, steady D in this draft. He has good offensive contributions both in zone and off the rush. He can pass skate and is better defensively than anyone else in the draft.

If we walk away from draft day with any of those three I'd be happy whether we picked 4th OA or 10th OA. And a lottery is a lottery. No matter where we finish we are always hoping for some magical ping pong balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad