2017 Draft Discussion - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Why would a name be removed from the retired list at age 35? If they're retired at 34 chances are they'll still be retired at 35 (with notable exceptions).

Dunno exactly why but they do. Probably did it so teams wouldn't hold the "retired" rights to a player past age 35.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
The Coyotes have the Red Wings' and Flames' picks in the 3rd round but not their own. No picks in he 4th or 6th but their own picks in the 5th and 7th. I don't think the entire draft order is finalized until compensatory picks have been awarded, though, right?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Rewatching some WJC games. Like the "little stuff" I'm seeing from Necas. Very good on draws for a smaller guy. Beat Strome clean a few times. Battles. Really active stick and good positioning to use it. Hounds the puck very similarly to Tobias Rieder in that way, very disruptive stick that tips passes, and goofs up puck carriers. In a really low-key but momentum ruining way. Pain in the ass for opposing players like that. Also quite nifty offensively. Creative, quick, and quirky with the puck.

slv

Sep 19, 2012
astral
Looks like Makar is the consensus pick for us at 7OA at the moment. Pretty sure everyone was expecting us to pick D last year all the way until Chayka picked Keller, right?

Button always does his own list.

If you looking for consensus go to Bob McKenzie.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
It's not final. He'll release another list mid June. It would be reasonable to assume no changes because pretty mich all the hockey has been played, I expect some considerable movement anyways. The risers haven't fully risen yet.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Since we dropped so damn far, I would either like to go Tippett or Liljegren. Don't think Tippett would be there, and who wouldn't want to draft a kid named Timothy?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'm worried about Chayka's fetish for production, and that it might lead us to draft Pettersson. His production is the highest ever from a draft eligible player in that league, as far as I know. But he has a very, very slight frame. His older brother (by five years) is a Nashville pick with the same genes and has only managed to get up to 176 lbs... at 6'2 (the same height as his little brother).

There is no way around this. Even a PED user would have trouble with such a slight frame.

Do not want.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I'm fine with it. Marner and Goudreau are skinny and good. A production fetish will get us a much better draft record than any other fetish.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm worried about Chayka's fetish for production, and that it might lead us to draft Pettersson. His production is the highest ever from a draft eligible player in that league, as far as I know. But he has a very, very slight frame. His older brother (by five years) is a Nashville pick with the same genes and has only managed to get up to 176 lbs... at 6'2 (the same height as his little brother).

There is no way around this. Even a PED user would have trouble with such a slight frame.

Do not want.

I'm fine with it. Marner and Goudreau are skinny and good. A production fetish will get us a much better draft record than any other fetish.

Chayka and our scouts have gained my trust. Who ever they pick I'll be happy with.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Do not want.

Between a production fetish and a size fetish, I'll take the production fetish.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
So you'd feel better about his weight and future as a hockey player if he were shorter?

Yes. I know you understand balance and leverage. Domi being 198 at 5'9ish is better than a kid thirty pounds lighter that's five inches taller. This is doubly true when you shrink the ice size and there's nowhere to hide from grown ass NHL Dmen. We saw how easily Strome was shoved around and he's larger.

Rundblad put up big numbers too. Sometimes worshiping production is a bad idea. There's still a point in the first round where I'd take the kid, it's just not 7th overall. I like Necas and Glass a lot more.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I guess we mostly agree. I like Necas and Glass more too. I think Pettersson's success against men is a reasonable amount of evidence that he'll succeed in the NHL. Smaller ice and tougher competition will make it a challenge. Still a solid bet in the top 10 as far as I'm concerned.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I really think it's going to be Cale Makar. Which is fine. Sort of anticlimactic but fine.

I don't see the point of using #7 on something you already have in DeAngelo. Underwhelming if it happens. He doesn't have traditional top pairing upside. Plus the question marks. Meh.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'd like a forward at #7, but whatever. Noone without question marks is going to be there at seven (or #1, this year, really).

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Ryan Ellis is Makar's ceiling IMO, and Ellis was a much better player in a much better league with a much better development track (UMA is the worst team in hockey east) and proved himself in tournaments.

Why is he projected to go so high? Seems like novelty, to me.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
Why is he projected to go so high? Seems like novelty, to me.

Sometimes when I read smart people's mock drafts, I get the feeling that they are just dropping anything into the Coyotes pick. They don't know anything about the coyotes so they say "whatever, give the coyotes Makar since we can't fit him into any of the teams we know stuff about"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad