2017 Draft Discussion - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't like the competition or path to the NHL with Makar. At his size, his ability to do certain things is limited, so it's not like he's got 1/2 upside IMO. With DeAngelo looking like he's going to be a thing, I don't see the need to force a D pick.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I agree. We need to continue drafting D but I don't think there's that big of a drop off between Heiskanen/Makar/Liljegren and the rest of the D rated in the first round. More than happy just to sit with the MIN 1st and pick Timmins, Brannstrom, or Jokiharju there.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Makar's chosen path is just plain stupid. He should've headed straight to Medicine Hat. If he promises to drop this hairbrained umass nonsense and get his ass is the Dub ASAP, I'd be tempted to think about him. Otherwise, let someone else deal with that Jankowski ass development track.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Teams making public comments about being interested in players still under contract to other teams = tampering. Not rocket science, it's codified in By-Law 15.

Even if Daryl's official relationship to the team now is possibly under question, its better to err on the side of caution instead of flapping your gums. Because the NHL has gone after seemingly innocuous comments for tampering before, most recently Jim Bening last summer.

As far as I know, he is not part of the team in any capacity. He is a fan stating his opinion, and even if he was part of the team what he said wouldn't be tampering.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
NJ still has his rights in a way. Also, it's just common sense that you don't talk about players outside the organization unless it's praise. This ****** nozzle is also spouting off about potential draft targets.

So do most GM's when asked. Again, you are making much about nothing.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
He's a fan, just like you and I.

For a smart guy, he should know that as an owner he has a responsibility to avoid putting the team in a bad light. If he wants to be a fan, let him join one of the hockey boards and post anonymously. If he wants to be an owner, he must act in a more constrained manner.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Considering the success we've had with the OHL, maybe we just go Owen Tippett.

Strome vs. Tippett in the OHL Finals.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
For a smart guy, he should know that as an owner he has a responsibility to avoid putting the team in a bad light. If he wants to be a fan, let him join one of the hockey boards and post anonymously. If he wants to be an owner, he must act in a more constrained manner.

He is not part of the owner group. Even if he was, he was just giving praise about a player. Our scouting staff have said Patrick is by far the best player in the draft. Is that putting the team in a bad light? Would you be saying that if Mark Cuban was the owner and starting spouting off like he always does?

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
As far as I know, he is not part of the team in any capacity. He is a fan stating his opinion, and even if he was part of the team what he said wouldn't be tampering.

His Twitter bio explicitly says otherwise. And you may be willing to risk incurring a half a million fine because you can't shut yourself up, but I don't.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Would you be saying that if Mark Cuban was the owner and starting spouting off like he always does?

Cuban has been fined up the wazoo by the NBA for his acts. But even he knows better than to cause any potential headaches for his management team.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
His Twitter bio explicitly says otherwise. And you may be willing to risk incurring a half a million fine because you can't shut yourself up, but I don't.

The Coyote website does not have his name as owner. Regardless, what he said would no way be tampering. [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
The Coyote website does not have his name as owner. Regardless, what he said would no way be tampering. For c----- sake guys give it a rest.

I don't think you realize how tightly some sports leagues punish "tampering". It's almost a deceiving label. In practice, when speaking about a player on another team, anything outside of the generic, 'He's a great player" is somewhat risky. I'm not sure how strict the NHL is relatively speaking, but if they're anything like the NFL it's pretty insane.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Looks like Makar is the consensus pick for us at 7OA at the moment. Pretty sure everyone was expecting us to pick D last year all the way until Chayka picked Keller, right?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't think you realize how tightly some sports leagues punish "tampering". It's almost a deceiving label. In practice, when speaking about a player on another team, anything outside of the generic, 'He's a great player" is somewhat risky. I'm not sure how strict the NHL is relatively speaking, but if they're anything like the NFL it's pretty insane.

What did he say for it to be tampering? This kid is playing junior hockey, and my understanding Jones is not even part of the ownership group. Time to move on.:)

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Had no idea that Kovy was playing junior hockey still... Talk to Ron Wilson about expressing interest in players whose rights you don't own.
Everything Mickey Mouse in this franchise is "Move along. Nothing to see here" for you. "That's right. The arena is a done deal. Move on". "Yes, we've missed the playoffs for five years running, but why go back that far? I have a new usher. Nothing before that counts. Move on"

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The tampering charge was in specific reference to Kovalachuk.

Oh, ok, I thought we were talking about Jones commenting on the Makar kid from his home town, not Kovalachuk. I have no idea what he said regarding Kovalachuk, but if he is not part of the ownership group it wouldn't make a difference anyway. I was referring to post 876

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Kovalchuk is under contract, for all intents and purposes.

Not for purposes of "tampering". He's free to talk to whoever he wants and there shouldn't be any restrictions on teams talking about him.

Even though there's no way he comes back to the league next season unless Jersey signs him. He could come back without any restrictions in 2018-19, but thinking he might want to get back in next year so he's not on a 35+ contract.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Why the difference 18-19 vs 17-18?

He'll be age 34 for 2017-18. At age 35 his name is removed from the retired list and he's free to sign with any team--NJ would no longer have any rights.

On a related note: NJ cannot trade Kovy's rights, and can't sign him until July 1st. So that takes any expansion draft or regular draft deals for Kovy out of the picture.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Why would a name be removed from the retired list at age 35? If they're retired at 34 chances are they'll still be retired at 35 (with notable exceptions).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad