2017 Draft Discussion - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The recent prospect talk inspired this thread.

Quick snapshot of some of the top guys available:
http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

Obviously, at this point, Nolan Patrick is the crown jewel of this class.

Keep in mind that Vegas is guaranteed a top 6 pick (otherwise known as the "Oilers Clause").

The Coyotes have the following picks:

AZ 1st rounder
AZ 2nd rounder
AZ 4th rounder
AZ 5th rounder
AZ 7th rounder

The Coyotes have moved the following picks:

AZ 6th rounder - traded to SJ as part of the Letunov deal

The Coyotes have pending conditions on the following picks:

AZ 3rd rounder or DET 3rd rounder - the higher of the 2 picks goes to FLA as part of the Crouse/Bolland deal. The lower pick is retained by AZ. Note: The Detroit 3rd was originally acquired from SJ as part of the Letunov deal. Detroit previously sent the pick to SJ for Dylan Sadowy. Note: Both the AZ and DET 3rds go to Florida if Crouse plays less than 10 games in the NHL this season. The Coyotes would then retain their 2018 2nd that was originally part of this deal.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
My hope is that our rookies over achieve, our sophomores don't slump and we end up heading into the lottery with the 10th overall (higher in the standings than almost anyone would guess) then we either win a lottery and pick Timothy Liljegren or we don't win and pick Callan Foote. RHD help, either way, would be nice.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm 99.99% sure, but double checking... Owen Tippett is of no relation to Dave?

Nope. I don't think Dave would like him much either. From what I recall, the scouting report is he's all wheels and skills and needs serious breaking in to be a player that actually fits into a system, instead of being a loose cannon on the ice.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Bit of an odd draft for us. We have a real strength for OHL scouting, but if you look at the above link, only five players (of 31) are from the OHL. 2017 is also the weakest class in the past few years.

There are still some interesting names though. As mentioned above, Foote. Big defenseman. Shoots right. The bloodlines are there with father Adam. And he plays for Kelowna, aka the d-man factory. That's a homerun.

Heard a lot of great things about Matthew Strome as well. Not sure how comfortable I am with siblings/family on the same team, but I wouldn't avoid Strome for such a reason.

Right now I have us as bubble team. If we can add Trouba or Shattenkirk or someone of that ilk, I think we're in the mix for the playoffs. Not a lock, but we're in the conversation. Considering the strength (weakness) of the draft, I wouldn't be surprised if we moved the pick all together. Maybe in that Trouba or Shattenkirk trade.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I like taking forwards in the early 1st. Vilardi is my early favourite after Patrick. He'll get plenty of time on camera being in Windsor.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Liljegren (spelling?) isn't going to be there at 10 unless he has a mediocre season.

The kids that might be there that I like.

Foote
Tippett
Kostin

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Lottery man. We're due.

charlie-brown.gif

Just sayin :P

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
If they are trying to get aggressive, trade the 2017 1st round pick in an effort to land a defenseman to pair with OEL. it's just really hard to land a guy on the calliber of Shattenkirk, and ideally although that's who i'd want personally, the contract situation worries me, we'd really have to convince him somehow to sign long term.

If that effort to land a defensemen doesn't end up putting us in the playoff hunt, this coming trade deadline we trade hanzal to a big contender for a 1st round pick. Love hanzal but our center pipeline has some guys that are going to be good. he isn't as necessary anymore and someone would really want him as a rental player.

No matter what, I'd be fine if our upcoming high draft picks for the next 2 years be used in trades to help us start winning in the very near future-- considering the state of our prospect pool. not worried about our offensive pipeline at all. maybe draft 1 more solid defensemen to put in there with Chychrun as our top defensive prospects that can break in in the 2018 range.

OriginalJetsCoyotes

Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario
I'm all for having a fire sale on draft picks for players teams can't protect that will help us. Though I can't think of any teams in a position where they have to trade people away off hand.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Matthews Strome's skating is brutal. Worse than his brothers with much lower end offensive skills. Don't really think he'll be on the radar unless we are picking after like 15-18

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Nikita Popugaev please! And thank you!

RHS. 6'4 at 16. Incredible skater. Amazing puck control. Nice shot. Came over to NA very young.

47pts in 70 games in his predraft, first year in NA. That is very impressive

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
For anglicized version:

2:30 in, Coyotes prospect goalie Adin Hill absolutely gets his pants pulled down by Moose Jaw's odd-man rush. My goodness.

I like tall, lanky, slightly-awkward kids like this. If the stick skills of a 5 minute highlight clip are anything like his stick skills in real life, Popa ... Popp ... Poppaguyev ... Popugaev could be my early favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad