2017 Draft - 3rd Pick: Dmitri Samorukov

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
IIRC Nurse was more dominant that year - he was putting up huge offensive numbers, carrying his team, and looked good trying to shut down McDavid in the OHL playoffs, no?
Nurse wasn't really carrying his team. He had a good playoffs and was putting up decent offensive numbers. However he was still a hot head who took a lot of bone headed penalties and relied a lot on his raw athleticism rather than ability and hockey IQ.

Samorukov is just as physical if not more so and plays with an Edge that is right on the edge in such a way that he doesn't put his team short handed to do so.

Samorukov uses his hockey IQ so wellz strong positioning and doesn't rely on physical ability to make plays. Much better with his stick than Nurse.

Reactions: Oilhawks

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Why? Both trades were clearly attempts to shore up an injured blueline that was missing Klefbom, Russell and Sekera.

Obvious misses, but the intention is pretty clear now.
Honestly. I think management above him told him that they are done with rushing young guys in, so he made moves so they weren't forced into the lineup. I mean, it backfired but still

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Carolina found Slavin in the 4th round IIRC, Keith may have found us a gem in the 3rd.
We could have a top pair dman here boys....

His game reminds me a lot of Dmitri Orlov's. Fluid skater with good speed, bomb of a shot, great passer, a rock in the defensive zone, valuable on the pp and pk. This guy's the real deal, he can do it all.

Reactions: Llamamoto

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
2018-19 OHL Coaches Poll Winners – Ontario Hockey League

Best Defensive Defenceman:
Western Conference:
1. Dmitri Samorukov, Guelph Storm (34)
2. Jordan Sambrook, Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (18)
3. Justin Murray, Saginaw Spirit (17)

Best Body Checker:
Western Conference:
1. Dmitri Samorukov, Guelph Storm (40)
2. Kelton Hatcher, Sarnia Sting (15)
3. Justin Murray, Saginaw Spirit (12)

Best Penalty Killer:
Western Conference:
1. Liam Foudy, London Knights (20) tied –
1. Ryan McGregor, Sarnia Sting (20)
3. Dmitri Samorukov, Guelph Storm (19)

Wow, nice research here. Good to see

Reactions: Consultant

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Carolina found Slavin in the 4th round IIRC, Keith may have found us a gem in the 3rd.
We could have a top pair dman here boys....

His game reminds me a lot of Dmitri Orlov's. Fluid skater with good speed, bomb of a shot, great passer, a rock in the defensive zone, valuable on the pp and pk. This guy's the real deal, he can do it all.

Sounds like Coffey is very high on him as well

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
He should play next season on the Oilers, top pairing 30 min a night. Throw him in headfirst. Thats how we do it.

Tell me what D we have rushed ? maybe you could argue Benning but he was a UFA signing and I rather throw player like him into the NHL and like the young drafted jr prospect develop which we have been doing

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Tell me what D we have rushed ? maybe you could argue Benning but he was a UFA signing and I rather throw player like him into the NHL and like the young drafted jr prospect develop which we have been doing
I'd ask what d-men have we had to rush?

Schultz, Nurse, Benning were all played too much too quick. This year we tried to do that with Jones and Bouchard as well. Bouchard clearly wasn't ready and Jones for some reason they decided to make him play top minutes.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

Schultz, Nurse, Benning were all played too much too quick. This year we tried to do that with Jones and Bouchard as well. Bouchard clearly wasn't ready and Jones for some reason they decided to make him play top minutes.

Nurse wasn't rushed maybe he was given too much responsible because our D was so bad and lacking depth . Schultz I agree . He on MacT and his Norris crap he had floating around . As I said the D we drafted we seem to give them time . College UFA we throw into the fire .

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005

Nurse was sent back to juniors a couple times and started his NHL career on the bottom pairing... hardly rushing him. Yeah he had to play high up sometimes but that's due to injuries. Same deal with Jones, only reason he even got that shot was due to injuries. Hell Bouchard hardly even played any games and was back to junior. I don't think you can legitimately say they rush D. Schultz perhaps but that was several managers and coaches ago. Every other D has been given time.

Forwards? That's a different story.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Figured I would bump this thread with Guelph moving on to the finals. I know there's been some discussion in the prospects thread but I really think this thread will only continue to grow as we move forward.

Very exciting prospect, great skater. Exactly the type of player that fits the new style of the NHL.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Figured I would bump this thread with Guelph moving on to the finals. I know there's been some discussion in the prospects thread but I really think this thread will only continue to grow as we move forward.

Very exciting prospect, great skater. Exactly the type of player that fits the new style of the NHL.
From all account he's just been a beast for Guelph these playoffs. Amazing to see a prospect be this good.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

I have PTSD over getting excited about lower round picks excelling before the NHL for us, but it's hard not to be pleased with Samorukov's development so far. It'd be rather amusing if the first Russian prospect to pan out for us (...ever? in ages at least) is a third round pick.

Reactions: McFuhryous

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I have PTSD over getting excited about lower round picks excelling before the NHL for us
Same. Martin Marincin... Martin Gernat...

Samorukov does appear to be better than the 2 guys mentioned at the same age tho

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Same. Martin Marincin... Martin Gernat...

Samorukov does appear to be better than the 2 guys mentioned at the same age tho

Marincin was actually a good D for Edmonton for a season. And in Toronto he was a polarizing player, but had a fair amount of supporters. Marincin did about everything you can expect from a prospect drafted in his area.

Gernat on the other hand was a flat out bust. But many people saw it coming. He put in next to no work in the gym or training and pretty much relied on raw skill. Once he hit the AHL he was toast. More interested in skateboarding and style than hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad