WJC: 2017 Canada Roster Talk - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Does Mr Writer still think Ducharme is in Spott and Lowry territory? That is the real question. Ducharme has hit all the right buttons with this team after a slow 1st in the QF.

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
Strome generates a tonne of chances, and leads the team in scoring. What more do you guys want?

Him to show up against teams that aren't terrible......

He had a goal tonight....good for him...he also missed a bunch of chances with his windup you have to measure with a sundial, slows down or completely negates breakouts with his lack of speed, and has a lot of giveaways with low percentage and no look passes in the offensive zone.

Sorry man but Strome has NOT played to a level expected of a 3rd overall pick and our captain.

I will add this edit to say, however, I don't completely blame Strome and feel he's been getting somewhat of the shaft with all the (unfounded) hype and love TSN keeps dumping on him which seems to be raising expectations beyond a level he's capable of playing at.

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
Very impressed with the coaching.

Not everyone makes that quick goalie pull.

And continuing to press in the 3rd with the lead.

Zero panic.

Great coaching move. I feel bad for Ingram but it was the right call. If Sweden gets up 3-1 it could of been a different game.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Him to show up against teams that aren't terrible......

He had a goal tonight....good for him...he also missed a bunch of chances with his windup you have to measure with a sundial, slows down or completely negates breakouts with his lack of speed, and has a lot of giveaways with low percentage and no look passes in the offensive zone.

Sorry man but Strome has NOT played to a level expected of a 3rd overall pick and our captain.

I will add this edit to say, however, I don't completely blame Strome and feel he's been getting somewhat of the shaft with all the (unfounded) hype and love TSN keeps dumping on him which seems to be raising expectations beyond a level he's capable of playing at.

So Sweden is a terrible team??

And yeah Strome isn't fast. That's old news. And it's not going to change over night.

He also isn't all that flashy. Also not anything new. He's playing his game and putting up points, the most on the team.

And I guess TSN hyping him up has allowed for people to be let down. He isn't flashy, but the way TSN talks about him you'd think that he was. But he's playing his game, and he's playing it well.

Last edited:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Does Mr Writer still think Ducharme is in Spott and Lowry territory? That is the real question. Ducharme has hit all the right buttons with this team after a slow 1st in the QF.
The man is a prophet, right up there with Nostradamus. Once again his words proved correct.

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
So Sweden is a terrible??

And yeah Strome isn't fast. That's old news. And it's not going to change over night.

He also isn't all that flashy. Also not anything new. He's playing his game and putting up points, the most on the team.

Most of his points came from the PP against weaker teams early on in the tournament.

Sure he had a goal tonight, but he also had many missed opportunities based on his slow release, wrecked (by my count) 2 breakouts due to his lack of speed, and had multiple giveaways in the offensive zone trying to force low percentage passes and a couple no lookers.

Is that REALLY showing up? Subjective I guess.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Very impressed with the coaching.

Not everyone makes that quick goalie pull.

And continuing to press in the 3rd with the lead.

Zero panic.

Impressive overall. This is a weird team. It is carried at even strength by its third and fourth lines, lost its second best defenceman by a fair amount and had to move up defencemen who aren't suited for their new roles and hasn't had good goaltending. Yet here they are. Obviously losing tomorrow marks the tournament as a failure, but even a bad loss tomorrow wouldn't mark this team among the biggest disappointments for Canada this decade.

Very interested to see Hart tomorrow. He looked better today than before (much more aggressive challenging shots) but he still looked weak on a few shots. At times Canada was lucky that Sweden never bothered raising its game. On the bright side, if Canada plays as it did for large parts of the first and early second (traditional Canadian style) I expect that they will have a great chance tomorrow. The 'if' is a big one though.

I am also hopeful that Canada will play faster. They wait half a second too long with the puck on their sticks. That's acceptable in the offensive zone, but not so in the defensive zone. The refusal to make quick vertical plays out of the defensive zone every time has caused several otherwise avoidable goals against in this tournament.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Before the tournament started I said I would be happy with a medal of any color. So while losing to the US tomorrow night would suck I still think this team did as good as they possibly could.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Most of his points came from the PP against weaker teams early on in the tournament.

Sure he had a goal tonight, but he also had many missed opportunities based on his slow release, wrecked (by my count) 2 breakouts due to his lack of speed, and had multiple giveaways in the offensive zone trying to force low percentage passes and a couple no lookers.

Is that REALLY showing up? Subjective I guess.

What about the multiple glorious chances he produced tonight? The pass early on to Raddish tonight. The two stops in close to Jost. Involved in generating at least double digit scoring opportunities tonight alone. He showed up.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The guy who feels like he's getting to much credit to me is Chabot. Way more up and down than i'd expect from our supposed "#1D" and one of our 3 "players of the tournament". He's had a lot of impressive + plays, but he's also been on the wrong end of a lot of pretty brutal misplays. Haven't all ended up in the back of his own net...but man he creates a lot of events - both ways.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
The guy who feels like he's getting to much credit to me is Chabot. Way more up and down than i'd expect from our supposed "#1D" and one of our 3 "players of the tournament". He's had a lot of impressive + plays, but he's also been on the wrong end of a lot of pretty brutal misplays. Haven't all ended up in the back of his own net...but man he creates a lot of events - both ways.

I think part of the praise is because he's logging a ton of minutes, especially after Myers got injured. There isn't another defenseman on the team that's close to him in minutes played.

He was up at 27:17 today against the Swedes.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Chabot and Cirelli were no brainers as two of our best......don't agree with Barzal though.

Barzal was great early on in the tournament, but I haven't liked his game for much of the past 3 games. Too much individual effort, with little to show for all the dangling around.

But I guess the question is, who else deserved it? Strome, I felt, is in the same boat as Barzal. Some great games mixed with some where you wonder why there's hype. Maybe Mitchell Stephens? But he missed two games, probably knocking him out of contention.

El Diego

Jan 2, 2009

While I don't think Chabot had a great game today, I ask myself "Which player, if I removed him, would have the biggest negative impact on Canada?"

For me the answer is clearly Chabot, then Cirelli. Hart is up there based on today alone. Seriously, just try to imagine Team Canda without his ~28 mins a night. Heck the fact that he's taking a couple away from Bean is alone worth #1D status.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think part of the praise is because he's logging a ton of minutes, especially after Myers got injured. There isn't another defenseman on the team that's close to him in minutes played.

He was up at 27:17 today against the Swedes.

Eh, fair enough i guess. If you look at it that way. Those minutes are important and we don't seem to have the horses behind that to pick up any more slack than they already are.

Just hard for me to overlook how "uneven" a bunch of those 27 minutes have been for Chabot, amidst what seems like quite a bit of praise.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
While I don't think Chabot had a great game today, I ask myself "Which player, if I removed him, would have the biggest negative impact on Canada?"

For me the answer is clearly Chabot, then Cirelli. Hart is up there based on today alone. Seriously, just try to imagine Team Canda without his ~28 mins a night. Heck the fact that he's taking a couple away from Bean is alone worth #1D status.

Yeah, without Chabot we'd be getting a full dose of Bean. I shudder to think of the results.

saintflannel

Oct 6, 2011
Great game from Dubois tonight. The QMJHL line is terrific. If only Roy reported to Cape Breton a few years ago...

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Yeah, without Chabot we'd be getting a full dose of Bean. I shudder to think of the results.

It's pretty funny how much Canadian fans on HF don't like how Bean has played (not that I blame people, he does seem to make quite a number of defensive gaffs), but Bean was actually #2 in icetime for Canada against Sweden. :laugh:

6 minutes behind Chabot, but hey, still number 2.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I thought they would move Juulsen up with Chabot once Myers got hurt. Then just play them as much as possible. Bean has been disappointing.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's pretty funny how much Canadian fans on HF don't like how Bean has played (not that I blame people, he does seem to make quite a number of defensive gaffs), but Bean was actually #2 in icetime for Canada against Sweden. :laugh:

I'm not sure how that's even possible. That must be incorrect. Bean plays the same side as Chabot, so whatever minutes Chabot gets, that means less for Bean.

Meanwhile, someone has to be getting the RD minutes. I would have thought either Clague (who seemed to be playing with Chabot) or Juulsen would be up there in minutes.

El Diego

Jan 2, 2009

Bean was 3rd. Clague played almost a minute more than him, and Bean played 12 seconds more than Juulsen. Canada also had 12 PP minutes (Bean plays PP, which went 0/6) compared to 8 SH minutes (Bean doesn't play SH).

So while I appreciate you trying to bring facts and nuance into it, and while I also don't think Bean is generally as bad as people make him out to be (though he has been bad specifically in this tournament), I think getting your facts and nuance correct is paramount.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I'm not sure how that's even possible. That must be incorrect. Bean plays the same side as Chabot, so whatever minutes Chabot gets, that means less for Bean.

Meanwhile, someone has to be getting the RD minutes. I would have thought either Clague (who seemed to be playing with Chabot) or Juulsen would be up there in minutes.

It's because Lauzon, the third LD had less than 10 minutes. Bean and Juulsen were close anyways (less than 20 seconds apart).

Edit: On second reading, I was wrong, Clague was second.
Chabot - 27:17
Clague - 22:29
Bean - 21:37
Juulsen - 21:25
Fabbro - 11:54
Lauzon - 9:27

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad