WJC: 2017 Canada Roster Talk - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
This week's Facing Off with Andrew Forbes debates Canada's roster and medal chances at the upcoming world juniors. Who were the surprises and snubs of the selection camp invites? Which NHLers could/should join the fold? What will be the strengths and weaknesses of this year's team? And who will be Canada's biggest competition at this tournament? Of course, we also play GM and pick our 22-man roster for Team Canada: http://thehockeywriters.com/facing-off-picking-team-canada-for-world-juniors/

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
If there was any hope left of the Coyotes releasing Crouse or Chychrun, that likely just diminished with the release of the USA camp roster. Apparently Arizona wouldn't even release Christian Fischer from Tuscon.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
If there was any hope left of the Coyotes releasing Crouse or Chychrun, that likely just diminished with the release of the USA camp roster. Apparently Arizona wouldn't even release Christian Fischer from Tuscon.

They didn't release him for the camp. That doesn't mean that he won't be released to play on the team.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
USA hockey insiders, such as Chris Peters, do not believe this will be the case.

Ah well if that comes to pass it will be pretty dirty. I can't remember a specific instance of a player being kept in the AHL instead of the WJC since Burns in 2005.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Nolan Patrick was not medically cleared to attend camp and will miss the tournament.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Nolan Patrick should not have even been on the selection camp roster to begin with. Being injured all season should have disqualified him imo. If he had played the full season and was lighting it up, then sure, but 6 games and the opinion of 6 out of 10 NHL scouts is not enough for me. I didn't have him on my roster, but I hope he recovers and gets another shot on next year's team.

Will HC replace him or just go with what's left?

@JackSlater, I recall a Swedish player or 2 not being released from the AHL in recent years. can't remember off the top of my head the player(s) and I believe Washington played some shenanigans with Andre Burakovsky for the 2015 WJC. roster moves AHL/NHL in time to keep him out of the tournament.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Nolan Patrick should not have even been on the selection camp roster to begin with. Being injured all season should have disqualified him imo. If he had played the full season and was lighting it up, then sure, but 6 games and the opinion of 6 out of 10 NHL scouts is not enough for me. I didn't have him on my roster, but I hope he recovers and gets another shot on next year's team.

Will HC replace him or just go with what's left?

@JackSlater, I recall a Swedish player or 2 not being released from the AHL in recent years. can't remember off the top of my head the player(s) and I believe Washington played some shenanigans with Andre Burakovsky for the 2015 WJC. roster moves AHL/NHL in time to keep him out of the tournament.

There will be no replacement for Patrick.

Have to think that Hockey Canada was expecting it. The camp roster is basically the same size as the roster from last year, plus Patrick and Speers. I agree that I'm not big on taking players who have barely played that year, other than very special cases.

As for the AHL situation, I also seem to recall something like what you are describing, but I can't put my finger on it. It's not Burakovsky though, since he was playing with Washington during the tournament. I will be updating my thread about missing WJC players soon, so if anyone can recall players who missed the WJC due to AHL involvement since Burns and Horton in 2005 I am very curious to hear about it.

Editing because I remember now. It's Girgensons in 2013. He played in the AHL instead of the WJC. Any other examples would be appreciated.

Another edit to add Voynov in 2010. Played in the AHL all year. Apparently I should have just checked my own thread on the topic instead of mindlessly speculating.

leafs1396

Nov 30, 2015
This week's Facing Off with Andrew Forbes debates Canada's roster and medal chances at the upcoming world juniors. Who were the surprises and snubs of the selection camp invites? Which NHLers could/should join the fold? What will be the strengths and weaknesses of this year's team? And who will be Canada's biggest competition at this tournament? Of course, we also play GM and pick our 22-man roster for Team Canada: http://thehockeywriters.com/facing-off-picking-team-canada-for-world-juniors/

The fact that the roster from that link doesn't have Strome as it's number one center shows how much of a travesty that roster projection is.

leafs1396

Nov 30, 2015
I don't think this Patrick injury will hurt Canada that much pending on what the doctors says today on Blake Speers, if he is good to go, I think the roster still fits in nicely.

Jost-Strome-Gauthier
Dubois-Barzal-Stephens
Steel-Mcleod-Raddysh
Joseph-Cirelli-Speers
Roy

Chabot-Juulsen
Bean-Fabbro
Lauzon-Myers
Girard

Hart
Ingram

Let me know what you guys think??

86Habs

May 4, 2009
What can people tell me about Mathieu Joseph? I see him penciled into a lot of lineups as a bottom six winger. His stats are good, but not ridiculously good. He's not overly big (6'1", ~175 lbs from what I can tell). Drafted fairly low @ 120th overall. What's his style of play and how would he fit into this forward group? Defensive player / PKer? Energy guy?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I don't think this Patrick injury will hurt Canada that much pending on what the doctors says today on Blake Speers, if he is good to go, I think the roster still fits in nicely.

Jost-Strome-Gauthier
Dubois-Barzal-Stephens
Steel-Mcleod-Raddysh
Joseph-Cirelli-Speers
Roy

Chabot-Juulsen
Bean-Fabbro
Lauzon-Myers
Girard

Hart
Ingram

Let me know what you guys think??

If Speers and Bean are healthy there is a good chance that team is what gets picked.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Have to think that Hockey Canada was expecting it. The camp roster is basically the same size as the roster from last year, plus Patrick and Speers. I agree that I'm not big on taking players who have barely played that year, other than very special cases.

As for the AHL situation, I also seem to recall something like what you are describing, but I can't put my finger on it. It's not Burakovsky though, since he was playing with Washington during the tournament. I will be updating my thread about missing WJC players soon, so if anyone can recall players who missed the WJC due to AHL involvement since Burns and Horton in 2005 I am very curious to hear about it.

Editing because I remember now. It's Girgensons in 2013. He played in the AHL instead of the WJC. Any other examples would be appreciated.

Another edit to add Voynov in 2010. Played in the AHL all year. Apparently I should have just checked my own thread on the topic instead of mindlessly speculating.

Nashville didn't loan Fiala to Switzerland last year, but I don't think Fiala had the greatest relationship with the Swiss hockey federation.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Interesting news with Patrick. Got to wonder if this news will cost him his chance at #1 in the draft next year.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Nashville didn't loan Fiala to Switzerland last year, but I don't think Fiala had the greatest relationship with the Swiss hockey federation.

Thanks, I had him on my list but I forgot that it was AHL instead of NHL.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

There's kind of an adjustment period for all these guys anyway, jumping from club teams to Team Canada, with the way the process is set up. Whether they're coming in healthy and on a hot streak, or just working back from injury.

I wouldn't have had a problem with them bringing Patrick as basically the "extra" forward, had he been able to get a few games in and demonstrate in the pre-tournament process that he's healthy and reasonably up to speed. He's pretty versatile and he's got a high ceiling for potential impact if he were to be healthy...maybe sliding up over the course of the tournament as he gets his legs, and others inevitably disappoint.

But yeah, pretty much a no-brainer to exclude him now. And it looks as though Hockey Canada were probably expecting as much - or at least, intentionally erred on the side of caution in event that this happened.

And with loaners from the NHL looking pretty unlikely, for me at least...i think this pretty well narrows the field at Forward down to a few guys mostly competing for that spare forward role.

Up front i'd probably go with:

Jost-Strome-Raddysh
Dubois-Barzal-Gauthier
Steel-McLeod-Joseph
Howden-Roy-Stephens

Let Speers/Cirelli/Dube/Merkley duke it out for that last spot. I think they've all got enough versatility to work well as the spare and slot in to a few different spots depending on how chemistry shakes out with the lines as the tournament goes.

Not married to those particular line combos obviously, but that'd be the rough outline i'd pencil in...and that would at least be the group of players i'd want to take.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Not hearing any news on the possibility of whether any of the NHL guys are going to be loaned to this team.

just a gut feel, but I think Isles release Beauvillier. Arizona I doubt releases anybody... and that's fine by me.

you can forget Marner or Konecny.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
just a gut feel, but I think Isles release Beauvillier. Arizona I doubt releases anybody... and that's fine by me.

Beauvillier would certainly be the biggest help of any of him or the Arizona players.

Any word on Speers? I know he's been cleared to participate in camp, but the guy has played in a grand total of 4 games all year...

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Beauvillier would certainly be the biggest help of any of him or the Arizona players.

Any word on Speers? I know he's been cleared to participate in camp, but the guy has played in a grand total of 4 games all year...

I'm of the same opinion.

as for Speers, same as Patrick...somebody with such limited game action over the course of 3 months should not have an invite to camp...

but maybe he'll surprise and prove me wrong...

I'm surprised Hockey Canada hasn't instituted that bureaucratic rule....That's the sort of thing Hockey Canada loves doing.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

I'm not expecting Beauvillier. Snow kept Bailey (similar situation to Beauvillier) in the NHL in 2009 and senselessly kept Niederreiter (1 goal and 55 games played) in the NHL in 2012.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I'm not expecting Beauvillier. Snow kept Bailey (similar situation to Beauvillier) in the NHL in 2009 and senselessly kept Niederreiter (1 goal and 55 games played) in the NHL in 2012.

given Bailey's career to date of a #90A pick, Snow may want to reevaluate his development model. It isn't working too well for him or that organization. But NHL GMs love to be stupid.

We won't know until the roster freeze kicks in on the 19th. fingers crossed.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
given Bailey's career to date of a #90A pick, Snow may want to reevaluate his development model. It isn't working too well for him or that organization. But NHL GMs love to be stupid.

We won't know until the roster freeze kicks in on the 19th. fingers crossed.

You might say that Snow's career as an NHL backup didn't exactly prepare him for becoming an NHL GM. I would like to see Beauvillier loaned, but I don't expect it. I basically always expect players not to be loaned though. I will be pleased if I am wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad