WJC: 2017 Canada Roster Talk - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I don't mind that Strome got the C - he's a returnee and is very good in junior.

But he's been a disappointment in this tournament.

That quote by the Team Canada coach is pretty hilarious.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Ducharme is an idiot, just like all the coaches to coach this team in the past 6 years. I don't know how they can't seem to find a competent coach for this team, it's baffling.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Confirmed that Ducharme has been reading the thread for advice. Anyway, he's not wrong, as I and a few others have said. Interesting strategy to try and put the pressure on Sweden. Definitely not in Spott and Lowry territory.

that's besides the point...and I don't care if he is right. He should be more concerned about Canada's record in medal rd. games the past 5 years. And in case anybody needs a reminder, it hasn't been stellar.

I suppose if Canada went 4-0 in group stage and was filling the net like all-stars, perhaps then he could enlighten us all on the recent history of the various teams, but imo he has a lot more to worry about then some ******** tactic in an attempt to amp up the pressure of an opponent.

Definitely knocking on Spott territory imo.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
that's besides the point...and I don't care if he is right. He should be more concerned about Canada's record in medal rd. games the past 5 years. And in case anybody needs a reminder, it hasn't been stellar.

I suppose if Canada went 4-0 in group stage and was filling the net like all-stars, perhaps then he could enlighten us all on the recent history of the various teams, but imo he has a lot more to worry about then some ******** tactic in an attempt to amp up the pressure of an opponent.

Jesus you are reaching so bad :laugh: You will stop at no ends to constantly whine about anything and just to justify the soapbox you stand on against hockey Canada. Ducharme is not even in the conversation with spott stop it.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Jesus you are reaching so bad :laugh: You will stop at no ends to constantly whine about anything and just to justify the soapbox you stand on against hockey Canada. Ducharme is not even in the conversation with spott stop it.

blah blah blah...

If Hockey Canada wants me off my soapbox the answer is pretty simple...

play in more Gold Medal games at the WJHC and win a few more. you know, more than just 1 in 5 years.

but if you think those results are acceptable...good for you. I have higher expectations.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire

I don't think he's been spending his free time trying to perfect a quote to antagonize the Swedish team. I'm sure he's been focused on ways to help his own team and realized that taking the pressure off the large list of players not performing up to perceived expectations and moving it onto him was a good way. I like the strategy, let's see if it works out.

Macman

May 15, 2004
blah blah blah...

If Hockey Canada wants me off my soapbox the answer is pretty simple...

play in more Gold Medal games at the WJHC and win a few more. you know, more than just 1 in 5 years.

but if you think those results are acceptable...good for you. I have higher expectations.

I think you're being unreasonable, Mr Writer. There was a time when Canada could usually steamroll the competition with four to nine junior-age players missing every year but other countries have closed the gap at the junior level and those days are gone. You're expecting more than can be reasonably asked under the circumstances. We need all our best now.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Ducharme is an idiot, just like all the coaches to coach this team in the past 6 years. I don't know how they can't seem to find a competent coach for this team, it's baffling.

If ur the favorite and say something disparaging, that's one thing...If ur the underdog, that's another...

Nothing wrong with what the coach did, in this instance, imo...He's trying to goad Swedes, to get them off their game, by reminding them how abysmally bad they're done vs Canada historically, when it really counts...

Think back to Team Markstrom and Company becoming emotionally discombobulated in 2009 Gold Medal Game...

When Swedes have been all amped up, and adversity hits ( even just a bit ), they've been prone, again historically, to melting down vs Team Maple Leaf

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I may be a homer (Sens fan) but I don't know how Strome got the C over Chabot.

It's all marketing. Canadian forward who scores a lot in junior and was drafted super high is the exact poster boy they want. Chabot, while likely the better player, isn't as well known to the average fan.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Lauzon isn't so much the problem, it's the ripple effect the injury has caused that's the issue.

I had the privilege of attending the Canada/Latvia game which gave me the opportunity to closely assess Team Canada's defensemen. It quickly became apparent that there was a significant drop off in talent between Canada's top two defensemen (Chabot and Myers) and the remaining defensemen. Not to overstate it, but the drop off is cavernous. Unless the remaining four 'lesser' defensemen were simply (and collectively) having a bad game, I suspect the loss of Myers may well be fatal to Team Canada's chances of winning as they compete against teams that are far more formidable than the mighty Latvians.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's worked out for Chabot.

A lot of pressure to wear the C.

Yeah, it's not always a good idea to give the C to the best player. The pressure of captaincy affects guys differently, especially young guys.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Strome has had pressure, he's a returnee, he's had success, and he's used to the spot light. Now he just has to perform a little better

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Very impressed with the coaching.

Not everyone makes that quick goalie pull.

And continuing to press in the 3rd with the lead.

Zero panic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad