OT: 2017 American Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
This is a trade that says the Eagles believe they have absolutely no holes:

Ravens sent their 52nd, 125th picks and a 2019 second-round selection to Philadelphia in exchange for the 32nd and 132nd selections in 2018.

They basically traded the pick for a 2nd rounder next year when they presumably might have more holes to fill.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Bingo, called it.

Good pick by Balt

I'm not so sure.

You can succeed at QB in college on god-given athletic talent. In the NFL it takes god-given athletic talent plus brains to succeed at QB, and let's just say that that Jackson kid isnt a threat to cure cancer.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I'm not so sure.

You can succeed at QB in college on god-given athletic talent. In the NFL it takes god-given athletic talent plus brains to succeed at QB, and let's just say that that Jackson kid isnt a threat to cure cancer.

QB is not necessarily where he will earn his next contract.

Think Randal-El

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
52 is a 2nd rounder this year too. Thats significant.

Yeah, but I primarily discount that because it's #32 for #52, which is a major decrease, and the 132 for 125 is essentially a wash.

So the only real asset that's being gained in the trade by Philadelphia is the 2019 2nd Rounder.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The Giants pick at #2 was one of the most puzzling, they needed to take a QB.

I guess they're basically giving up on next season and playing the long game.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Kind of fun to go back a few months.

If Darnold busts it will set the Jets back another 5 to 7 seasons.

Anybody can bust but Darnold is incredible. And still only 20 (youngest of the group) I think they unquestionably got the best player in the draft and someone who will be a top 5 QB in the league once he hits his stride. He makes throws no other QB in this draft can make.

If Darnold busts it will be one of the most surprising busts I've ever seen.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The Giants pick at #2 was one of the most puzzling, they needed to take a QB.

I guess they're basically giving up on next season and playing the long game.

If anything picking the QB to sit behind Eli for a couple years would have been a punt next season move, taking Barkley means they want an immediate contributor.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
That pick says they are doing the opposite.

taking Barkley means they want an immediate contributor.

I guess they're going to go 0% pass, 100% run then, because Manning will either be injured or laying on the ground all game.

If this is a "win now" move, then it's dumb, dumb, dumb, because the Giants are not a playoff team. Granted the Giants were the 2nd worst offense in the entire NFL and could use a RB, but they could use help at many positions, and this isnt 1990, teams arent built around backs in 2018.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Darnold should scare you if you're a Jets fan.

There's nothing to be scared about. He's been considered the best prospect for over a year. He has the highest ceiling and is still only 20, will be 21 in the summer.

The key is the Jets have to be patient. There's no need to throw him into the fire right away. McCown will be a great mentor for him this year. See what McCown and Bridgewater can do this year and evaluate Darnold over the course of the season. Things start going south and he's showing progress, give him a shot towards the end of the season.

They need to learn from past mistakes with Sanchez and Geno. Darnold is young enough that you can afford to be patient.

Reactions: tr83

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Those grades are nonsense, Darnold's the "safe pick" but Allen and Rosen are sure things? Wouldn't Rosen be the safe pick as the most NFL ready passer?

All of the QBs had their question marks going in.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Those grades are nonsense, Darnold's the "safe pick" but Allen and Rosen are sure things? Wouldn't Rosen be the safe pick as the most NFL ready passer?

A lot of scouts had a bizarre love affair with Allen. They just love his arm. But his other deficiencies are very severe. He's got a lot of work to do. Rosen I think will be outstanding and so will Darnold. Both will end up All Pro's

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
And for the other end of the spectrum:

The 2018 NFL Draft First-Round Grades

After months of speculation as to whether the Jets would take Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, or Baker Mayfield, the Jets’ new franchise passer is … Sam Darnold. I love the draft. Darnold has great size (6-foot-3, 221 pounds), a strong arm, solid accuracy — both from the pocket and on the move — and plenty of athleticism. He throws with anticipation and can make plays both from the pocket and from out of structure. He is still raw; the 20-year-old signal-caller was a little too reckless with the football in college (he threw 13 interceptions in 2017), and he’ll need to clean up a few bad habits mechanics-wise before he’s ready to take the field. But he lands in a good situation, where he can sit on the bench behind presumptive starter Josh McCown, acclimate to the speed of the pro game, and immerse himself in Jeremy Bates’s playbook. It may take this pick a year to start paying dividends, but Darnold has the skill set and talent to develop into a Pro Bowl–caliber quarterback in the NFL. Nothing in sports is more valuable.
Fit: A+
Value: A+

This is the biggest boom-or-bust pick in the draft. Allen has all the physical tools that teams look for at quarterback, and he’s tailor-made to play in the cold, windy weather in Buffalo: size (6-foot-5, 237 pounds), a cannon for an arm, top-tier athleticism, and the toughness to stand in the pocket and throw the ball downfield.
But it takes more than just physical traits to play quarterback at the highest level, and Allen’s major lack of accuracy and inability to quickly process what’s going on in front of him are huge red flags. Accuracy rarely improves as quarterbacks make the jump from college to the pros: Windows in which to throw only get smaller and defenses are infinitely faster and more complex. Allen will need to improve his footwork and show he can throw with better accuracy and ball placement if he’s going to succeed as a pro. Allen is a major project for new Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll, who must devise a scheme that creates well-defined reads and doesn’t ask Allen to do too much on his own. Allen provides plenty of upside, but he comes at a high cost and has more bust potential than any of the other top-tier passers in this class.
Fit: B+
Value: C-

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

I trust the views of people who are at the combines, talking to the players, GMs, scouts more than the armchair qb fan opinion.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Guy also bashed the Jets for taking Darnold.

I am not convinced he will be an all-star but that was still the guy the Jets had to take there. Not Allen

Charley Casserly polled 24 gm's and 17 said Darnold was the best QB in the draft. And there won't be a Sam Darnold in 2019 either.

That's the final word

Why do you think the Jets partied until 4am at Florham Park and you had player personnel people on their knees praying for the Giants to take Barkley

You can take what Pete Prisco says and flush it down the toilet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig