OT: 2017 American Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
They had to pick someone eventually unless they were that sold on Webb at least being a backup and they didn't even bother to play him last year.

At least the Jets filled 'a' need at TE, of course Maccagnan avoiding O-linemen in the draft is like Shero avoiding defensemen till the 7th round.

Maybe they don't plan on playing Darnold much at all this year. He is 20 after all. He could start day 1. But he doesn't have to. McCown and Bridgewater will be sacrificed this year and then the Jets will go FA and Draft O line heavy next year

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I guess the Giants front office knows nothing about football since all the fans of other teams have already claimed to know better than people that get paid lots of money to make these decisions.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Not a believer in Lamar Jackson as QB, but aside from that Baltimore picked terrific future pros. Good draft by the Ravens

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I guess the Giants front office knows nothing about football since all the fans of other teams have already claimed to know better than people that get paid lots of money to make these decisions.

I mean, no, no one said that. However, teams make mistakes plenty of times in the draft.

But taking a running back 2nd overall when you have as many needs as the Giants do is not a smart football decision in general.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017

They're taking a calculated risk. It very well may work and Eli Manning may lead them to another Super Bowl.

But this is going against George Young and Ernie Accorsi type thinking. Gettleman is 67 and maybe he doesn't plan on working after 70. He's going to approach these 3 years a lot differently than a younger GM

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Also credit Miami. Fitzpatrick + Gesicki. Good haul. Though they didn't get a QB and now have Darnold in their division. But those two will be plus players

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Also credit Miami. Fitzpatrick + Gesicki. Good haul. Though they didn't get a QB and now have Darnold in their division. But those two will be plus players

they were never going to take a QB early...that was all a smokescreen (and it worked, since Arizona traded up in front of them)

Gase has always said Tannehill is his guy. Remember, the 2nd half of the season in 2016, Tannehill had some of the better numbers in the league.

but yes, I am pretty stoked with their draft.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
they were never going to take a QB early...that was all a smokescreen (and it worked, since Arizona traded up in front of them)

Gase has always said Tannehill is his guy. Remember, the 2nd half of the season in 2016, Tannehill had some of the better numbers in the league.

but yes, I am pretty stoked with their draft.

Tannehill is ok. They can probably get by with him though this is really a big year for him. He's signed through 2020. Matt Ryan will be a UFA in 2019 though I doubt Atlanta lets him get to that point.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
This is interesting. Apparently Mayfield isn't even ready to challenge Tyrod Taylor for the starting job in Cleveland. Now Tyrod Taylor is ok. Safe passer who doesn't take chances or make a lot of mistakes. Outstanding runner. But generally a guy you can corral and beat. Mayfield is coming in after a full college career and already 23 years old and he doesn't even look ready to compete with Tyrod Taylor? The Browns I'm sure will play it off as expected and all but you've got to figure they're getting a bit nervous there

Baker Mayfield apparently 'did not look ready to compete' for the Browns starting QB job

Meanwhile the reviews are great for Darnold. Especially from Bates who people say does not dole out compliments easily. And Darnold is 2 years younger than Mayfield but apparently he's an unusually fast learner

Jets OC on Sam Darnold: We've thrown everything at him and 'he hasn't flinched'

1) Sam Darnold has STAR written all over him … and the Jets know it. It’s a matter of when it’ll happen, not if. The rookie flashed all the traits that made folks on One Jets drive downright giddy after he landed in their laps in April. Let’s get something clear: Darnold will experience growing pains, but his gifts are special. He was a surgeon in the red zone on the second day of minicamp, beating the defense with touch passes (dropping a beautiful TD to Jordan Leggett) and bullets (to ArDarius Stewart and Jermaine Kearse).

Mehta: 15 Jets takeaways from minicamp and offseason — and what lies ahead for training camp - NY Daily News

This is pretty stunning to hear as the Jets under Maccagnan and Bowles are far more tight lipped than they were under Ryan. So these outbursts of exuberance and excitement from what they've seen from Darnold are legitimate. And you're hearing it from a lot of different people around the team not just this Mehta guy. When they had Petty and Hackenberg they were really really tempering things and under total lockdown. Fans had no idea why Hackenberg wasn't given a chance. I can only imagine how horrible he looked (what did he last 48 hours in Oakland?)

But Darnold is a rookie who just turned 21. I can't believe we're hearing week 1 starter stuff. And it's not like he's in there with stiffs at OTA's. Bridgewaters knee seems fine and he's been doing well for the most part. If healthy he's an established NFL starter who still hadn't reached full potential. McCown is old and has backed up and started for some awful teams. And played well for stretches. Last year he was 11th in the league in quarterback rating and 4th in completion percentage. Don't let the W/L record fool you McCown is a respectable NFL QB.

Last edited:
Reactions: MadDog172430

Jabs102501

May 16, 2018
This is interesting. Apparently Mayfield isn't even ready to challenge Tyrod Taylor for the starting job in Cleveland. Now Tyrod Taylor is ok. Safe passer who doesn't take chances or make a lot of mistakes. Outstanding runner. But generally a guy you can corral and beat. Mayfield is coming in after a full college career and already 23 years old and he doesn't even look ready to compete with Tyrod Taylor? The Browns I'm sure will play it off as expected and all but you've got to figure they're getting a bit nervous there

Baker Mayfield apparently 'did not look ready to compete' for the Browns starting QB job
can't believe they fell for that smokescreen

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
can't believe they fell for that smokescreen

It was a very well planned out one too. Went on for weeks actually. And the Jets reaction to losing Mayfield and drafting Darnold pretty much did confirm this was a big con the whole time

You have to believe Dorsey is getting a little hot under the collar.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I had been saying that Cleveland should have taken Barkley #1

And Mayfield likely would've been there at 4. Though there was the possibility of the Giants trading out of 2 for someone who wanted Mayfield but they never seemed to get an offer that they could seriously consider.

Very strange what Cleveland did. Changed their minds the last week.

Reactions: Devils Dominion

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
And Mayfield likely would've been there at 4. Though there was the possibility of the Giants trading out of 2 for someone who wanted Mayfield but they never seemed to get an offer that they could seriously consider.

Very strange what Cleveland did. Changed their minds the last week.

The Browns are a mess, Clowns

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
idk, the more i think about it, i don't think green bay drafted that poorly or that well. just very ho-hum. i'm looking forward to giving the new gm a chance, but if you told me two years ago, as a devils/yankees/liverpool/packers fan, that the team i should probably be the least optimistic about was the green and gold i would have called you crazy.

i'd be ok with 8-8 this year, 9-7 and a shock wild card berth would be gravy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad