OT: 2017 American Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
One thing I can tell right away is that both local teams seem happy with their pick, but there is a segment of the Giants fan base that are a bit perturbed and unsettled at just how happy the Jets are.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I disagree on giving the Giants a C+ for drafting Barkley, but these early grades are pretty spot on otherwise .

2018 NFL Draft: Round 1 grades for picks 1 through 32, analysis for each

I'd give it a C at best. It's a HORRENDOUS pick.

He's the best back in the draft? So what. Statistically its' been shown it's the most "unsure" position in football in terms of draft rank, with often players just as good or better going in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, rounds. And this guy doesn't break tackles, he's all about pure open field play. The Giants throwing lots of screen passes is my prediction.

Meanwhile the offensive line is garbage and the Quarterback is 37 years old and starting to show it.

Dont worry though! The Giants are the #1 media market for NFL football, so the journalists will give Giants fans plenty of pre-season false hopes about returning to the playoffs.
Not happening.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I'd give it a C at best. It's a HORRENDOUS pick.

He's the best back in the draft? So what. Statistically its' been shown it's the most "unsure" position in football in terms of draft rank, with often players just as good or better going in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, rounds. And this guy doesn't break tackles, he's all about pure open field play. The Giants throwing lots of screen passes is my prediction.

Meanwhile the offensive line is garbage and the Quarterback is 37 years old and starting to show it.

Dont worry though! The Giants are the #1 media market for NFL football, so the journalists will give Giants fans plenty of pre-season false hopes about returning to the playoffs.
Not happening.

Do I sense a little nervousness from our resident Eagles fan? :naughty:

Barkley is going to tear the league up.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I trust the views of people who are at the combines, talking to the players, GMs, scouts more than the armchair qb fan opinion.

But then you post a 2 month old article on Darnold being a bust from a blog of said regular Joes. :laugh: Never change.

If Darnold busts, it will have nothing to do with him coming out of USC or whatever cupcake schedule they had last year. It will have everything to do with how the Jets groom him. Sam Darnold has nothing to do with Matt Barkley, Mark Sanchez or Carson Palmer (who had a pretty damn good career by the way).

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
But then you post a 2 month old article on Darnold being a bust from a blog of said regular Joes. :laugh: Never change.

If Darnold busts, it will have nothing to do with him coming out of USC or whatever cupcake schedule they had last year. It will have everything to do with how the Jets groom him. Sam Darnold has nothing to do with Matt Barkley, Mark Sanchez or Carson Palmer (who had a pretty damn good career by the way).

I've watched them all. Darnold is better than them all. Darnold is a self starter and will not need much grooming aside from being coached to go down at times and turtle (which Brady and Peyton Manning did. Live to to play the next down) that would eliminate 70% of his fumbles. And like Rosen stop trying to play hero ball.

But the one thing he can do which Mayfield and Rosen and Allen can't is beat you by himself.

Reactions: MadDog172430

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I've watched them all. Darnold is better than them all. Darnold is a self starter and will not need much grooming aside from being coached to go down at times and turtle (which Brady and Peyton Manning did. Live to to play the next down) that would eliminate 70% of his fumbles. And like Rosen stop trying to play hero ball.

But the one thing he can do which Mayfield and Rosen and Allen can't is beat you by himself.

No matter what, for me, this just feels like a shift into a new era. There's an injection of youth and excitement into the franchise that hasn't been there for a little while. Whatever happens going forward, I'm excited about.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
No matter what, for me, this just feels like a shift into a new era. There's an injection of youth and excitement into the franchise that hasn't been there for a little while. Whatever happens going forward, I'm excited about.

It is. Feel happy and secure you got your guy. He is the best Qb the Jets have drafted since Namath.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Do I sense a little nervousness from our resident Eagles fan? :naughty:

Barkley is going to tear the league up.

Exactly the opposite, I'm HAPPY the Giants took him given all their needs. Sets their organization back at least 1 year.

The Giants should have either:

1) Taken a QB

2) Traded down and taken either Quenton Nelson or Mike McGlinchey + a 2nd Round pick

Instead they got a flashy running back to compliment a terrible offensive line & an aging quarterback, which is like buying a Lamborghini without the engine.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Exactly the opposite, I'm HAPPY the Giants took him given all their needs. Sets their organization back at least 1 year.

The Giants should have either:

1) Taken a QB

2) Traded down and taken either Quenton Nelson or Mike McGlinchey + a 2nd Round pick

Instead they got a flashy running back to compliment a terrible offensive line & an aging quarterback, which is like buying a Lamborghini without the engine.

Well the Eagles are the class of the league and that division and won't be giving up that post. You can find Barkleys every year. Sometimes multiple times a year. Sometimes in round 6 or undrafted. Doesn't mean he won't be a good player he just wasn't the correct pick there.

The effect that Darnold has for the Jets the next 15 years will be enormous. And Barkley will be good but there is always a huge injury risk with backs, plus their peaks are short and they break down. Few make it effectively to 30. Some are pretty much done at 28. I think he'll give the Giants about 5 good years. But hey if Eli turns the clock back and they win a SB within the next 3 years with Barkley playing an instrumental role then I guess it was worth it

I liked Dalvin Cook as a player more than Barkley but he tore is ACL year 1. So who knows what he'll be now.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Well the Eagles are the class of the league and that division and won't be giving up that post. You can find Barkleys every year. Sometimes multiple times a year. Sometimes in round 6 or undrafted. Doesn't mean he won't be a good player he just wasn't the correct pick there.

Exactly.

If they don't take Will Hernandez with the 2nd pick tonight you have to begin to wonder WTH the GM is doing. Their offensive line needs desperate help, or Manning wont make it beyond Game #10.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Exactly.

If they don't take Will Hernandez with the 2nd pick tonight you have to begin to wonder WTH the GM is doing. Their offensive line needs desperate help, or Manning wont make it beyond Game #10.

Manning is still good and he needs to be kept as upright as possible in these late years. Draft Will Hernandez.

Manning does the best he can protecting himself. He can recognize certain stunts and blitzes and bluffs and change things up pre snap. Trouble is if you don't have the horses he's going to get slaughtered anyway and the Giants didn't have that last year. He can't squirm out of things at 37 that he could at 27. Nobody can.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Did the Devils tweet good luck to Darnold yet? Fellow New Jersey teams

The Jets wished us good luck prior to the playoffs .

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Giants were smart.
Go with the best player in the draft who is a sure bet all star and probable all time great RB.

If they picked the wrong QB it sets them back another few years.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Only pick the giants can make there.

Gettleman is drafting the positions Reese should have two years ago. Question is whether it is too late to be doing this.

It almost all depends on whether you think Eli has a little left for not.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
There were other linemen such as the dude from Auburn but Hernández was the right choice.

I heard some buffoon say that Nick Chubb is the best back in the draft
LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad