NFL GDT: 2017 AFC Championship Game: (1) New England Patriots vs (3) Jacksonville Jaguars

NE vs JAX

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
It's not that they don't miss Edelman. They just have an all-time great QB who is able to make others better than what they are in his absence.

I'd put the cut off point for that at 25. The Patriots, before Kraft and drafting Bledsoe, were a laughingstock in the NFL. On and off the field(the sexual harassment fiasco).
I mean the BB-TB Patriots of this era are more resilient than any franchise in any sport in N.A. in my lifetime. No other team in their own era was as resilient as this particular edition of the Patriots. I wasn't saying the 1981 Patriots are the best.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Eh. Nothing in the NHL is gifted. Indy played in a crap division with Peyton Maning for years, but ended up blowing home playoff games after byes fairly regularly.
The AFC South was not weak. It was routinely putting up multiple 10 win teams when Manning and the Colts started winning their division titles.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
You guys never heard of the internet or television? It's been mocked on multiple late night shows.

Patsies fans don’t watch national media. They’re all out to get them and they can’t believe a reporter can be objective unless they’ve climbed on the duck boats and danced with the players.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
You guys never heard of the internet or television? It's been mocked on multiple late night shows.
OH well there you go. James Corden monologues are so much more informative about what is inside a book then actually reading it.

Welcome to 2018. No wonder you used the word triggered.

Reactions: ObscureAlien

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Patsies fans don’t watch national media. They’re all out to get them and they can’t believe a reporter can be objective unless they’ve climbed on the duck boats and danced with the players.

If I'm trying to find out what is inside of a book, and my choices are:

1) Watch Stephen Colbert mug at the camera
2) Read the book

I'm going to think that reading the book is more accurate.

If you think otherwise that's up to you.

Feb 24, 2017
You can say that about any team in any franchise.

When I was a kid, everyone I knew was a Cowboys fan or a Steelers fan. I liked the Pats, even though they were mostly bad and occasionally horrendous. Home games were blacked out on the Boston statoins so I would watch games by turning to the Providence station, standing up, holding the rabbit ear antennae because the reception was somewhat viewable that way.

I watched the team when:
-A star WR left the stadium at half time and drove into a tree
-2 different head coaches quit before playoff games (1 of them a SB)
- In a year when the team was thought to be decent they lost their best DL, LB and CB in the last preseason game

I watched the team finish last and draft busts.
I watched when a crap TE exposed himself to a female reporter.
I watched when drunks tore the goalposts down and carried them through the streets knocking over telephone poles.

So excuse me if I don't enjoy the obvious sour grapes "Well some day you guys won't be good any you will stop watching".
Who are the coaches that quit before playoff games? I tried googling it but all I get are stories about bill b punking the jets with a napkin.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
You saying the defense choked is pretty stupid. They were constantly put in terrible positions because the offense would rather run right at a 9 man box instead of put the ball in the QB's hands.

Well I sure wouldn't say that giving up a 85 yard drive while failing to get off the field on a third and 18 should be put on the offense there. The offense constantly running of first down was scared playcalling but the defense got shredded in the fourth. #1 defenses should rise to the occasion. They didn't.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
My problem with the calls weren't the calls.

It's that pass interference is a spot foul and it's way too easy to flip the field.

Why not make it 15 yards like college?

Knotty Moog

May 12, 2012
Los Angeles

My team can't win lets make fun of the opposing teams fans on the internet!

Also, you figure there has been so many duck boats fired up recently every national reporter would have danced on one by now!

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
OH well there you go. James Corden monologues are so much more informative about what is inside a book then actually reading it.

Welcome to 2018. No wonder you used the word triggered.
You think if James Corden or whoever straight up made up stuff in his book to mock, that it wouldn't have been a story? Did Tom Brady not say in his book that he doesn't get sunburns because he stays hydrated with his BS electrolyte additive?

Tom Brady’s Science Is as Silly as It Sounds

Tom Brady is either gullible as **** or a snake oil salesman taking advantage of people because he is also a famous football player.

But by all means, on your next trip to Cancun please leave the sunblock at home in favor of you bottle of TB12 electrolyte supplement.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016

Ok, but I still would have assumed you read it. I think the book makes him seem weird, talking about not eating Tomatoes because they increase inflammation, but not smug.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
We are the coaches that quit before playoff games? I tried googling it but all I get are stories about bill b punking the jets with a napkin.
1st one- 1978- Chuck Fairbanks- took a team that had been a joke of a francshise, turned them into division champ who might contend for the SB and with a young enough core to be good for awhile... but he quit right before the last regular season game in order to take a college coaching job at the Univ. of Coloardo

2nd- Bill Parcells again took a crap team, and with Bledsoe and Bob Kraft the 3 of them built the team to a contender. He officially didn't quit until after the season, but he had made a deal to take over the Jets before the SB and didn't even ride home with the team after the game. Reportedly he was negotiating with the Jets during SB week.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
It’s so New England Patriots to just stick it to Minnesota by beating them in their own town. I mean nothing is more New England Patriots than that

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
It’s so New England Patriots to just stick it to Minnesota by beating them in their own town. I mean nothing is more New England Patriots than that
Well it will certainly be another feather in their cap if they can pull it off

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
If anything, this guaranteed SB Media Day just got a LOT less interesting.

Instead of Ramsey and team DUUUUVALL we get the Pats who quite frankly are so businesslike it's almost robotic.

CamMac

Jan 3, 2015
There's a lot of non-NE fans in this thread embarrassing themselves; everything isn't a conspiracy... let the beers wear off and watch the Minni/Eagles game to cool off.

Also, scoreboard.
People are always going to make excuses as to why the Pats are so good. They're the most hated franchise in sports and have been for years. I'm used to it at this point.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Plenty of teams have had prolonged periods of dominance but still had competitive divisions.

So no other team was quite as dominant, is what you're saying? The AFC East isn't weak. They have the second best record in the league since Brady entered it. The #2-4 teams are as good as most #2-4 teams in the league, it's just that pundits continuously disregard the #1 team because it's consistently the same team - and one that has a higher winning percentage against most other divisions (despite having to play their #1 teams more often than #2-4 due to scheduling). Spot the second best AFC East team another win from the Patriots which they could expect if some other, less consistent #1 team was in their division, and they'd send wild card teams more often than not. Not sure what having poor QB's has to do with anything. The fact that those teams have won so many games despite shitty QB's should point you towards the fact that they have good to great defences more often than not (and usually built to beat the Patriots). You know, the side of the ball that actually directly affects the opposing QB? Brady could swap out the Jets for the Steelers and not miss a beat. And that's the second best team over his career. AFC North has the Bengals and Browns. AFC South has been the worst division in the league over Brady's career. NFC North? Lions (with 27 fewer wins than the f***ing Bills since 2001) and Bears?

Brady wins 4.75 games per season against his weak division. Give him his worst division matchup, the AFC West, and he'd manage 3.82 wins per year. Less than one win dropped per year. And that's based on a small sample size and doesn't take into account that if the Pats moved into the AFC West, they might well replace the Broncos (whom he's played much more often than the other teams) or Chiefs (who are actually quite good now, unlike the Broncos). He's played the Raiders five times, and the Broncos 13. Give him an equal amount of games against the AFC West teams (based on his win percentage against them) and he'd win almost exactly 4 of 6 games against that division per year. And that's ignoring the small sample size and the Pats likely replacing one of the better teams. But yeah, has to be that weak division... Because the Jets, Dolphins and Bills taking turns winning 9 games and missing the playoffs is so much worse than the Bengals, Titans, Raiders, Texans, etc. of the world taking turn winning 10 games and losing in the wild card game (like the Dolphins and Bills did these past two years, incidentally)

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
People are always going to make excuses as to why the Pats are so good. They're the most hated franchise in sports and have been for years. I'm used to it at this point.
True. This must have been what it was like to be a Yankees fan in the 90s. But even then, it was a capless league so we didn't have to manufacture excuses as to why they won every year (while silently hating that our team couldn't compete).

Reactions: CamMac

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad