Boston Bruins 2017-2018 Playoffs Roster

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Holden vs. McQuaid
No top pairing completely throws the dynamic of the D group off though, which may party explain the utilization of Holden over McQuaid for the last few weeks. If everyone is healthy, McQuaid would seem to be a more natural fit to fill in for Carlo as a big stay-at-home RHD, at least IMO. The way that the D is set up regardless of whether Carlo or McQuaid is in, would be a puck-mover and a big stay at home type on each pairing.

Reactions: BadBruins

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Marchy-Bergy-Pasta
DeBrusk-Krejci-Donato
Heinen-Riley-Backes
Schaller-Kuraly-Rick
Not against this. As crazy as it would be to have Rick Nash as a 4th line player, the top 9 is what you'd go with if you were only thinking about the chemistry shown so far this season. Nash also has a style of game that wouldn't look out of place as a 4th liner. Still think Schaller has some legit skill that could blossom if he gets to play with a winger with legitimate skill as well.

Also how the f*** do we have the best line in hockey and still get to debate names like Rick Nash and David Backes to throw on the 4th line?

Last edited:
Reactions: UConn126

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
I think Cassidy likes Donato's north south wrecking ball style game over Heinen's more cerebral east west game. I don't agree but I think 43 is the odd man out. Donato's lack of defensive detail scares the crap out of me in a play-off atmosphere to be honest.

It's a balance. A guy like Pastrnak is a giveaway machine but his pros out way the cons. We have several two way forwards on this roster that can make up for Donato's faults. If he's on a line with Krejci and Nash or Nash and Backes, he'll have plenty of help. That said, if Donato isn't scoring he doesn't bring the 200 foot aspect like Heinen. a good problem to have nonetheless

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
If Nash's ear keeps him out for a while, here's mine:

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Donato - Krejci - Rick Nash
DeBrusk - Cave - Backas (DeBrusk and Cave were linemates for a while in minors)
Schaller - Heinan - Kurally/Acciari/Wingles/Gionta

Chara - McAvoy
Krug - Miller/McQuaid
Gryz - Mcquaid/Miller

Goalies are no question

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
The first and fourth lines are not changing.

But why? Acciari has missed 22 games this season over three different spurts. Did the 4th line miss a beat during his absences? Heck, even the last few games without Kuraly it's been solid. And I've said before I think Kuraly's north-south skating game makes that line go. Schaller has been the one constant, aside from those few games he played up in the lineup.

Ultimately, I think when the top-3 lines are going, your 4th line almost always looks great. Whether it's Heinen, Backes, Donato, Acciari, Wingles, Gionta or Czarnik skating on that 4th line RW, I don't think it really matters. Dress the best players.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
But why? Acciari has missed 22 games this season over three different spurts. Did the 4th line miss a beat during his absences? Heck, even the last few games without Kuraly it's been solid. And I've said before I think Kuraly's north-south skating game makes that line go. Schaller has been the one constant, aside from those few games he played up in the lineup.

Ultimately, I think when the top-3 lines are going, your 4th line almost always looks great. Whether it's Heinen, Backes, Donato, Acciari, Wingles, Gionta or Czarnik skating on that 4th line RW, I don't think it really matters. Dress the best players.

I agree with this but I don't think Cassidy does.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Mine:

Marchy-Bergy-Pasta
Rick-Krejci-Jake
Heinen-Rielly-Donato
Schaller-Kuraly-Backes
Gionta

Z/Chucky
Krug/Miller
McQuaid/Griz
Holden

TUU-KKA
Dobie

Cassidy:

- switch Griz and Holden and probably move Backes up God only knows where.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
No top pairing completely throws the dynamic of the D group off though, which may party explain the utilization of Holden over McQuaid for the last few weeks. If everyone is healthy, McQuaid would seem to be a more natural fit to fill in for Carlo as a big stay-at-home RHD, at least IMO. The way that the D is set up regardless of whether Carlo or McQuaid is in, would be a puck-mover and a big stay at home type on each pairing.

Against Leafs I want speed& skill as much as possible.
Boston is going to be in a world of trouble if they can't get the puck out of D-zone fast.

Reactions: Estlin

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I hope that McAvoy can regain his groove in time for the playoffs. He was good tonight but he is wearing knee brace so that also hampers his movement.

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015
Pastrnak has been a giveaway machine. I like how donato shoots the puck instead of going for the impossible cross ice pass to marchand.

Marchand - Bergeron - Donato
Debrusk - Krejci - Rick Nash
Heinen - Backes - Pastrnak
Schaller - Kuraly - Acciari/Wingels/Gionta

Riley could slot into 3rd or 4th line depending on how heinen is performing.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Marchand Bergeron Pasta
Debrusk Krejci Nash
Donato Riley Nash Heinen
Schaller Kuraly Backes

Chara McAvoy
Krug Miller
Grz Holden

Rask
Dobby

this is the best way to do this

Reactions: Jdavidev and Estlin

legendsway

Aug 26, 2017
Assuming health (biggest assumption in the world...)

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Krejci - Rick Nash
Heinen/Donato - Riley Nash - David Backes
Schaller - Kuraly - Acciari/Wingels

Chara - McAvoy
Krug - Holden (ugh... this concerns me)
Grz - Miller

20th floor or maybe even the roof: Brian Gionta

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Up front, I've seen enough of Gionta. Donato is the odd man out imo with everyone healthy but maybe you could play him over Accari

On defence, I'll take McQuaid's experience over Holden but I'm OK either way

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Marchand Bergeron Pasta
Debrusk Krejci Nash
Donato Riley Nash Heinen
Schaller Kuraly Backes

Chara McAvoy
Krug Miller
Grz Holden

Rask
Dobby

this is the best way to do this

I like this, but prefer McQ (on his natural side) to Holden. Also, just can’t see Backes on the 4th line. I can see Heinen there (even if I disagree with it).

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Up front, I've seen enough of Gionta. Donato is the odd man out imo with everyone healthy but maybe you could play him over Accari

On defence, I'll take McQuaid's experience over Holden but I'm OK either way

It may play out that way (Cassidy loves Acciari) but it sure feels like a Julien move to not play Donato. He's still got work to do without the puck, but fact is he's producing at a 40 goal pace since he joined the team. How can they justify scratching a player producing at that level right now?

I think they need to play Donato, at least at the start. See how it goes.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
It may play out that way (Cassidy loves Acciari) but it sure feels like a Julien move to not play Donato. He's still got work to do without the puck, but fact is he's producing at a 40 goal pace since he joined the team. How can they justify scratching a player producing at that level right now?

I think they need to play Donato, at least at the start. See how it goes.

I think he will get it eventually, but right now Donato is almost like a DH in baseball where the American League team is playing in a National League park.

Does the offense outweigh the defensive liabilities? If you could play Donato only on the PP and in the offensive zone, that would be awesome, but unrealistic.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
With Riley Nash and Kuraly still not skating, I'm not going to pencil them in for game 1. Hopefully at least one will be able to go. But without them (but with Rick and Wingels), here's how I line up the forwards:

63-37-88
74-46-43
17-42-61
59-57-55

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
With Riley Nash and Kuraly still not skating, I'm not going to pencil them in for game 1. Hopefully at least one will be able to go. But without them (but with Rick and Wingels), here's how I line up the forwards:

63-37-88
74-46-43
17-42-61
59-57-55

If Riley and Kuraly are still out, that’s what I would do. Only change might be swapping Acciari and Wingels.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think he will get it eventually, but right now Donato is almost like a DH in baseball where the American League team is playing in a National League park.

Does the offense outweigh the defensive liabilities? If you could play Donato only on the PP and in the offensive zone, that would be awesome, but unrealistic.

Right now, I would say yes.

I don't expect a 40 goal pace out of him in the playoffs or anything. His shooting % thus far is unsustainable (over 20%).

But based on what we've seen thus far, he's scored 5 goals. Has he been directly responsible for more than 5 goals against in his 10 games played?

Probably won't matter anyways GD, I think it's very likely they won't have a full contingent of forwards come the start of the playoffs and he'll at least get a chance to show if he can handle the pace of playoff games.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Right now, I would say yes.

I don't expect a 40 goal pace out of him in the playoffs or anything. His shooting % thus far is unsustainable (over 20%).

But based on what we've seen thus far, he's scored 5 goals. Has he been directly responsible for more than 5 goals against in his 10 games played?

Probably won't matter anyways GD, I think it's very likely they won't have a full contingent of forwards come the start of the playoffs and he'll at least get a chance to show if he can handle the pace of playoff games.

You are probably right.

Not a good sign that Riley and Kuraly haven’t been skating. Rick will be back, which will help.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
It's not, especially Kuraly. Seems like very little has come out regarding what his injury is.

I believe that Riley has been unable to put his helmet on because of the stitches (and swelling)?? No helmet, no skate.

Kuraly has to have a concussion with the way they have treated it. Does anybody have any idea when it happened?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I don't understand why people want to send Acciari up to the press box for the playoffs.

He's been solid all year and he's a key part of our 2nd PP pair with Schaller.

I just don't get it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad