Boston Bruins 2017-2018 Playoffs Roster

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Assuming we don't have Carlo back for 6-8 weeks. Also assuming the Nash(s) are good to go, what is everyone's game 1 roster looking like?

Marshy-Bergy-Pasta
Debrusk-Krejci-Nash
Heinen-Nash-Backes
Schaller-Kuraly-Donato
Wingles/Acciari/Gionta

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Miller
Gryz-McQuaid
Holden/Postma

Rask
Dobby

C0ach B0mbay

Sep 14, 2009
Boston
March - Bergeron - Pasta
Donato - Krejci - Nash 61
DeBrusk - Nash 20 - Backes
Schaller - Kuraly - Heinen

Chara - McAvoy
Krug - Miller
Grizz - McQuiad

Rask
Dobby

Notes: A bit worried about shaking up the bottom-6 so much, but this is my wish list.

L1 Untouchable.
L2: I really think Donato has activated Krejci (which is why I'd love to see him stay on the second line). Rick Nash's size, skill, and defensive game could be just what the doctor ordered on that RW to offset Donato's weak points. Agree with others who have talked about his defensive issues in other threads, but I'd love to see them try this group, at least to start the postseason.
L3: Hate to "demote" DeBrusk - been so good all year and especially as the season wore on - but he could bring a little more dynamism to the third line.
L4: Schaller, Kuraly, Acciari have been great all year - and I wouldn't be upset if the Bs keep them together to start the playoffs. This is where I'd slot Heinen, though. I think he could mesh with these guys without upsetting things too much.

D1: Untouchable.
D2: The way Miller has stepped up in the last few weeks (and the way he stepped up in the playoffs last year) give me confidence here.
D3: It may well be Holden > McQuaid, but I love #54 unconditionally and would start him here. Grizz would've been my 7th player, and cannot be dropped IMO.

G: Tuuks is rolling into the playoffs. Am hoping we get to see him recreate his gem of a series against the Pens in 2013.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak: Easy
DeBrusk-Krejci-Donato: Krejci has shown more chemistry than Donato than with Nash by far. Don't try to force it, just start Donato off here.
Heinen-Riley-Rick: The easy thing to do would be to slot Backes in here, but that would leave Rick on the 4th line. You could also move Heinen down as he's been there before, but I really think Backes is the best option to move off the line. Chemistry would need to fit, but this would give this already good line more scoring punch without sacrificing much if at all defensively.
Schaller-Kuraly-Backes: If any of the vets could just accept this position and be able to play it stylistically, it would be Backes. Schaller and Kuraly are staples on the 4th line.
Acciari

Chara-McAvoy: Easy
Krug-Miller
Grzelcyk-McQuaid
: I think Miller is just straight up better than McQuaid and he should be getting more minutes. You could make the argument that Miller and Grz have looked great together all year, but the bottom 4 all have experience playing with each other anyways (as far as LD playing with RD is concerned).
Holden

Rask
Khudobin

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
63-37-88
74-46-61
43-20-42
59-52-55
17-12-57

33-73
47-86
48-54/44
54/44

If Rick Nash can’t go, then one of Donato or Heinen goes to his spot and the other rides the LW with Nash and Backes.

On D, the only question is Holden or McQuaid on the 3rd pair. I love McQ’s effort and intimidation factor, but in the playoffs fighting disappears. Holden moves better and can play on the PP. Not sure which way Cassidy and Co go there.

Rask obviously gets the nod in goal (sorry Haggs).

Reactions: Alicat

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
The only question mark, I guess, is what to do with Donato. His game obviously needs to be rounded out a bit but he's producing. If he continues to produce over this last week, I would keep him in to start the playoffs with a short leash.

If everything goes well:

63/37/88
74/46/61
43/20/17
59/52/42

33/73
47/86
48/54

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Marchand - Bergeron - Patrnak
DeBrusk - Krejci - Donato
Heinen - Backes - Rick
Schaller - Riley - Acciari

As the game winds down and you need to close it out, you can flop Donato/Rick in order to get a little more of defensive 2nd line. if you really wanted to go defensive you could make Rick-Krejci-Backes a 2nd line very late in games.

I'm all for keeping Donato on the 2nd line while still having Nash there in case Donato struggles in game.

Reactions: Btown

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak: Easy
DeBrusk-Krejci-Donato: Krejci has shown more chemistry than Donato than with Nash by far. Don't try to force it, just start Donato off here.
Heinen-Riley-Rick: The easy thing to do would be to slot Backes in here, but that would leave Rick on the 4th line. You could also move Heinen down as he's been there before, but I really think Backes is the best option to move off the line. Chemistry would need to fit, but this would give this already good line more scoring punch without sacrificing much if at all defensively.
Schaller-Kuraly-Backes: If any of the vets could just accept this position and be able to play it stylistically, it would be Backes. Schaller and Kuraly are staples on the 4th line.
Acciari

Chara-McAvoy: Easy
Krug-Miller
Grzelcyk-McQuaid
: I think Miller is just straight up better than McQuaid and he should be getting more minutes. You could make the argument that Miller and Grz have looked great together all year, but the bottom 4 all have experience playing with each other anyways (as far as LD playing with RD is concerned).
Holden

Rask
Khudobin

I like this quite a bit if you move backes around get him extra ice time. I can see Heinen playing on line 4, he is the only one of the three young guys I would consider putting there . Donato is a very interesting case , he has that score goals factor better than any of the young three but is the only one who has a lot of holes and is not great in his own end . I never ever consider scratching 55 to put him on the 4th line .

My guess is since 55 has really picked his play up they start something like Daze predicted with line 4 in tact and Donato the big scratch but he wont be there long if things don't go well. The chances of all thirteen being healthy are not really too good either lol. On defense if Carlo is out it is between 44 and 54 , If Carlo plays they might scratch 44 and 54 but again I don't think he would hesitate to change something if someone like grz struggles.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I don't like the idea of Backes at center if he can play wing. He's a better winger than a center. Nash is more than capable as the 3rd line C.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
March - Bergeron - Pasta
Donato - Krejci - Nash 61
DeBrusk - Nash 20 - Backes
Schaller - Kuraly - Heinen

Chara - McAvoy
Krug - Miller
Grizz - McQuiad

Rask
Dobby

Notes: A bit worried about shaking up the bottom-6 so much, but this is my wish list.

This is what I want to see as well.

I think it would be a mistake to scratch Donato. Although I feel like it's heading in that direction. He gives that 2nd line a different look and I've never felt like DeBrusk/Krejci worked together. Still up in the air as to whether or not Rick Nash is a fit either. I'd also consider swapping Backes and Rick Nash.

DeBrusk boosts the 3rd line and Heinen gives the 4th line some scoring punch. DeBrusk has 13 points in his last 12 games. Since Nov 18th (yes, random date), he has 35 points in 49 games. That 0.71 PPG over that span is better than Krejci, Backes, Nash, and Heinen. I feel like he's hitting his stride and might be the biggest individual threat outside the top line in terms of consistently generating offensive opportunities 5 on 5.

I think you dress the 20 best skaters. The 4th line functions whether it's missing Kuraly/Acciari due to injuries or Schaller is skating up in the lineup playing center. Same for the top-3 lines and the D pairings. We've already seen it put to the test.

Tazz

Oct 4, 2017
One of DEBRUSK, HEINEN or DONATO will probably get pushed out once all the forwards are healthy. The fourth line of SCHALLER-KURALY and ACCIARI is built for playoff hockey and needed to grind down the other teams energy and allow our top six to conserve theirs. DEBRUSK is the most consistent of all three young guns up front and DONATO is a sniper. HEINEN has been fighting the puck lately so ..I would start playoffs with

MARCHAND-BERGERON-PASTRNAK
DEBRUSK-KREJCI-Rick NASH
DONATO-Riley NASH-BACKES
SCHALLER-KURALY-ACCIARI

Depth: HEINEN, WINGLES and GIONTA, HEINEN pencilled in for DONATO's spot should he struggle.

CHARA-MCAVOY
KRUG-MCQUAID
GRZELCYK-MILLER

Depth-HOLDEN and POSTMA; if we get very lucky and CARLO is back, MILLER and MCQUAID rotate depending on the opponent.

Of course RASK and KHUDOBIN in goal.

Reactions: Bmessy

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
I think if everyone is Heathly

The Top 9 is locked in to be

Marchand Bergeron Pastrnak
(Obviously)

DeBrusk Krejci Nash
(These guys play 8 games together
Debrusk 2G 7A 9P
Krejci 5G 3A 8P
Nash 3G 2A 5P
These guys where on fire Nash was snake bitten and should have had more points but this line was scary good)

Heinen Nash Backes
(Cassidy loves this trio I can’t see him breaking this line up)

Donato will be scratched because the top 9 mentioned above are all better 2 way players than him at this point

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
I think it comes down to Heinen or Donato for the scratch. Unless Heinen is bumped to the 4th line and one of those guys is scratched.

If Donato's scoring streak dries up then he'll be scratched. I he keeps scoring at will then Heinen might be upstairs.

Goals or defensively responsible? You decide

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
63-37-88
74-46-61
43-20-42
59-52-55
17-12-57

33-73
47-86
48-54/44
54/44

If Rick Nash can’t go, then one of Donato or Heinen goes to his spot and the other rides the LW with Nash and Backes.

On D, the only question is Holden or McQuaid on the 3rd pair. I love McQ’s effort and intimidation factor, but in the playoffs fighting disappears. Holden moves better and can play on the PP. Not sure which way Cassidy and Co go there.

Rask obviously gets the nod in goal (sorry Haggs).
I’m in agreement with you 100%

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The first and fourth lines are not changing.

DeBrusk and Krejci are a pair. If Nash is healty he's a lock.

The forward decision will be between Donato and Heinen and with the way Butch has used them, Heinen is the odd man out.

Reactions: Alicat

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I think it comes down to Heinen or Donato for the scratch. Unless Heinen is bumped to the 4th line and one of those guys is scratched.

If Donato's scoring streak dries up then he'll be scratched. I he keeps scoring at will then Heinen might be upstairs.

Goals or defensively responsible? You decide

I think Cassidy likes Donato's north south wrecking ball style game over Heinen's more cerebral east west game. I don't agree but I think 43 is the odd man out. Donato's lack of defensive detail scares the crap out of me in a play-off atmosphere to be honest.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Wh
I think Cassidy likes Donato's north south wrecking ball style game over Heinen's more cerebral east west game. I don't agree but I think 43 is the odd man out. Donato's lack of defensive detail scares the crap out of me in a play-off atmosphere to be honest.
which is why I think Heinen draws in to at least start the playoffs.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I really don't like that this comes down to Donato or Heinen. I think Heinen should be a slam dunk, and I don't see why we wouldn't want Donato in there. I agree with Lou that Donato's defense is terrifying, but he adds to the style they play and he can finish. I'd give him a chance to keep his spot in Game 1.

Ultimately I think you adjust the roster/lines to ensure both of them are in the lineup. If you insist Backes plays 3rd line, then make him 3C, move Riley to 4C and ditch a 4th line winger. If you don't care if Backes plays 4th line, make him 4C. There's ways to make this happen where a 4th liner gets scratched rather than Heinen or Donato.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I can't imagine a line-up that doesn't at least start with Donato playing. Keep him on a short leash, sure, but he's been the most dangerous player outside of the top line since his first game.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I really don't like that this comes down to Donato or Heinen. I think Heinen should be a slam dunk, and I don't see why we wouldn't want Donato in there. I agree with Lou that Donato's defense is terrifying, but he adds to the style they play and he can finish. I'd give him a chance to keep his spot in Game 1.

Ultimately I think you adjust the roster/lines to ensure both of them are in the lineup. If you insist Backes plays 3rd line, then make him 3C, move Riley to 4C and ditch a 4th line winger. If you don't care if Backes plays 4th line, make him 4C. There's ways to make this happen where a 4th liner gets scratched rather than Heinen or Donato.

I think many of us would do that, but I don't see Cassidy all of a sudden breaking up 2 lines after they have all played together for 60-80 games.

17-42-43
59-52-20

would be the way I would play it, but I don't see it, at all.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
As for the Defense

Chara McAvoy Lock

Krug Miller

Grzelcyk Holden

Since Arrving To Boston

Holden has played 17 games

8 games over 20 minutes
0 games Under 16 minutes

During the same time

McQuaid has played 13 games

0 games over 20 minutes
8 games under 16 minutes

McQuaid PK Time per game 2:06
Holden PK Time per game 1:46

Even strength ice time
McQuaid 13:43
Holden 15:47

McQuaid and Holden have been in the lineup together 12 games

McQuaid only had more ice time in 1 game

Time on Ice for Bruin Defensmen this season

Chara 22:58
McAvoy 22:08
Krug 20:17
Miller 19:28
Carlo 19:14
Holden 19:03
Grzelcyk 16:46
McQuaid 15:52

Defensive Zone Starts for Defensemen
Chara 51.9 %
Holden 50.4%
Miller 47.5%
McAvoy 47.1%
Carlo 45.9%
Grzelcyk 44.5 %
Postma 41.5 %
McQuaid 39.7%

I think Bruce favors Holden and doesn’t have much trust in McQuaid so I think he starts Game 1 next to Grzelcyk

Last edited:
Reactions: Blowfish and Estlin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad