Speculation: 2017-18 Roster Discussion - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
**** off Sharks.
I think it’s well know with others teams karlsson will sign a extension in Tampa ? The question is would he with the sharks or others ? Because the assets you give up teams want to know probably what a extension might look like with him ?

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
7 mill of cap space is girardi, sustr, carle's buyout and condra being buried. those are such small parts not including any main contract we have.

edit: the cap is also rising

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Ottawa:
Raddysh
Namestnikov
Foote
Koekoek
2018 1st
2018 2nd/3rd

Tampa:
Karlsson

Montreal:
Ryan
Howden
2019 2nd

This is hypothetical, but say this was the cost. Would you do it? We would have to get a F rental, which i think we're doing already. For me, i do this in a heart beat. We still have potential 3 C's in Cirelli, Stephens and we know how well our scouts draft.

This looks like the Lindros trade. The only problem is Lindros was 19 so he was going to be cheap for a few years and you'd have him for his best years. Karlsson is almost 28, is going to want to be paid huge and his best years may be behind him. I'm leaning towards not getting him.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
7 mill of cap space is girardi, sustr, carle's buyout and condra being buried. those are such small parts not including any main contract we have.
I think they trade one of TyJo/Palat. Killorn gone. Sustr, Girardi and Coburn gone. Carle/Condra money gone.

I guess it's possible to extend Karlsson and Kuch at the same time. Point won't get that much on his first extension. Vasi will get a nice raise. Stralman will be up in the air - if he resigns it will be for cheaper.

We'll have a lot of holes to fill with youngsters and plugs.

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
We can easily afford Karlsson if we bought out Cally, traded Killer/Johnny, and let Coburn go.

Don't need to get rid of Palat or Girardi. Although I'm not overly sure there's a place on this team for Palat anymore. The kids are growing up and they're really, really good.

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
I think they trade one of TyJo/Palat. Killorn gone. Sustr, Girardi and Coburn gone. Carle/Condra money gone.

I guess it's possible to extend Karlsson and Kuch at the same time. Point won't get that much on his first extension. Vasi will get a nice raise. Stralman will be up in the air - if he resigns it will be for cheaper.

We'll have a lot of wholes to fill with youngsters and plugs.

Got a feeling we won't need to worry about Stralz. The opportunity to play with two Swedes, both of which are very good friends of yours? Hah, he ain't passing that up...

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Can anyone do a breakdown of what dollars and cap would look like going into 19-20 with the following:

Stamkos - 8.5m
Hedman - 7.8m
One of TyJo/Palat - 5m
Point - ???
Kuch - ???
Karlsson - ???
Vasi - ???

Etc....

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Twitter is fantastic for learning nothing at the precise nanosecond that nothing happens.

Yost just tweeted that Karlsson prefers to leave tomorrow and Yost thinks he will but it could take up to the deadline. Isn’t this another way of saying watch our trade deadline show?

Reactions: Bolt 45

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
If it's financialy possible to extend him...
With freaking yzerman anything is possible but for sure after next year he would have to move out some contracts for karlsson and kucherov extensions plus Brayden point getting a raise. Probably Johnson, killorn and palat get moved at least two of those three and a Callahan buyout his last year! Stevie would find a way to make the room.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
This looks like the Lindros trade. The only problem is Lindros was 19 so he was going to be cheap for a few years and you'd have him for his best years. Karlsson is almost 28, is going to want to be paid huge and his best years may be behind him. I'm leaning towards not getting him.
His style of play and he is not a big body he will age better then hedman will

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Getting him still leaves a gaping hole in our top 4. If Sergachev is gone, everybody's favorite Coburn fills it. If Sergachev is here, he fills it.

I'd prefer the Hjalmarsson and Green route to be honest. Probably in the minority and it's cool if it happens, but we have too many defenseman on the team that give me heart attacks already.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
I love Serge as much as the rest, but Karlsson extended in his prime on this team is a wet dream. Completely unheard of.

We have Hajek and Masin. Also top 4 LHD come pretty cheap compared to the rarity of top 4 RHD, let a lone the best RHD in the league.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Can anyone do a breakdown of what dollars and cap would look like going into 19-20 with the following:

Stamkos - 8.5m
Hedman - 7.8m
One of TyJo/Palat - 5m
Point - ???
Kuch - ???
Karlsson - ???
Vasi - ???

Etc....

Heading into 19-20 we currently have 43mil tied up to 8 players, with 31 available at a 75mil cap. That's Stamkos, Hedman, Palat, Johnson, Killorn, Vasilevskiy, Sergachev and Callahan. We would need 13-15 players to fill the roster. Say Kucherov gets 10, Point 4.5, Namestnikov 4.5, Gourde 3, the rest of the forwards should be ELC guys at less than 900k. So almost 25mil to get us to 12 forwards. With a 75 cap we'd have 6mil to get 4 defenseman, just to get to 6, I can see 3 ELC guys or just off ELC in Hajek, Cernak, Foote if around or Masin. Really cheap backup and we probably have 3mil left. If Karlsson wants 10 then a couple of forwards need to go. Callahan buyout saves us 3mil so would need to lose two of Killorn, Namestnikov, Johnson and Palat. Could be done but we'd have a bunch of young guys on the team.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009

Stamkos - 8.5m
Hedman - 7.8m
One of TyJo/Palat - 5m
Point - ???
Kuch - ???
Karlsson - ???
Vasi - ???

Etc....

Point will be bridged around $4M, similar to Palat/Johnson with some cap inflation.
Kucherov.. tough to say, hoping for $8.5M but could understandably get much more.
Karlsson, let's call it $9M, but could be more if he was serious about being paid like the best defenseman in the NHL
Vasilevskiy will still be at $3.5M. His extension coincides with Callahan expiring.
Gourde - UFA, let's assume he walks
Stralman - at 33 years old, let's say he falls off a bit and we pay him $4M

I'll throw Sergachev in there just for the hypothetical.

XXXX - Stamkos ($8.5M) - Kucherov ($8.5M)
Palat ($5.3M) - Point ($4M) - Johnson ($5M)
Killorn ($4.45M) - XXXX - Callahan ($5.8M)
XXXX - XXXX - XXXX

Hedman ($7.7875M) - Karlsson ($9M)
Sergachev - ($0.894M) - Stralman ($4M)
XXXX - XXXX

Vasilevskiy ($3.5M)
XXXX

Carle ($1.833M)

So, a grand total of $66.7M (under the current cap, $8.3M in space) with 8 spots needed to be filled. That could be $2-4M less in space depending on how conservative I am with my guesses. There would be more space due to cap increases, but hard to predict by how much the cap will grow in 2 years. Callahan will only have 1 year left and should be easy to move. Then we could always move one of Palat/Johnson.

There's also an expansion draft to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad