Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
The Yzerman only comes when all good boys and girls are asleep in their beds

HXrHFU4.png

Oh man the effort put into this :laugh: I appreciate that you even photoshopped a lightning helmet on his head.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Say we trade Raddysh, Foote, Howden. We have more prospects.. And we don't have an anchor in Toews making 10.5 million and a Kane making 10.5. Stamkos and Hedman make what? 15 together? We can't keep every prospect because won't have the room for them in the lineup.. We've already experienced this with Koekkoek for example, many of us agree he hasn't got a fair shot.

Read the thread: I’m replying to a guy who wants us to trade half the team to fit Karlsson’s next contract. That has nothing to do with prospects other than that the ones who would be best positioned to replace the players he would have us move would already be gone to Ottawa, leaving us with a few top forwards and a bunch of second rate prospects behind them. It’s one thing to trade a few top prospects to rent Karlsson but quite another to gut our NHL roster to resign him, especially when we’ve already traded our best replacements away.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
If we're talking about Namestnikov, he should blink his ****ing face off.
I'm not sure I agree. He's played well enough this year that I can't say for certain that Peca, or Erne, or Conacher would step right in and replace what we'd be losing in the trade. Karlsson would offset a lot of his loss, and maybe one of those other guys would take up the rest of the slack, but it's a real consideration at this time of the year.

Of course, McD to Toronto or something would change the landscape quite a bit.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I went on CapFriendly and tried to build a roster in two years keeping all the big names. CHI has 14 players making $1 million or less, and we would probably need more. We’d have six great NHLers with an AHL team. Who knows, it could work. Depth in hockey is so overrated.

Pittsburgh has won back to back Stanley Cups with depth. Chicago hasn’t come close to contending since they lost theirs. We’ve been knocked out of the playoffs multiple times in large part because we didn’t get any offensive contributions from our lower lines.

I’ve done the same thing in terms of building a roster and we should be able to keep all our core players BUT we’ll need some young guys to step up and perform well on their ELCs. If we add Karlsson to our cap troubles while at the same time trading away all our top prospects the situation becomes untenable. Renting him is one thing: it’ll hurt us in the future when we’re filling those depth holes with lesser players, but at least you can argue that the short term gain might be worth it. But resigning him would absolutely kill us going forward and is IMO a nonstarter.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
According to McKenzie, we're not offering Sergachev or even Foote.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
According to McKenzie, we're not offering Sergachev or even Foote.

Where did he say that? Sportcenter?

I have a tough time believing we're still in the mix if that's the case, unless Ottawa is high on Namestnikov.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
Pittsburgh has won back to back Stanley Cups with depth. Chicago hasn’t come close to contending since they lost theirs. We’ve been knocked out of the playoffs multiple times in large part because we didn’t get any offensive contributions from our lower lines.

I’ve done the same thing in terms of building a roster and we should be able to keep all our core players BUT we’ll need some young guys to step up and perform well on their ELCs. If we add Karlsson to our cap troubles while at the same time trading away all our top prospects the situation becomes untenable. Renting him is one thing: it’ll hurt us in the future when we’re filling those depth holes with lesser players, but at least you can argue that the short term gain might be worth it. But resigning him would absolutely kill us going forward and is IMO a nonstarter.
Sorry, I was being sarcastic. I agree with you. The Chicago formula only works if you get real lucky with ELCs (then you can’t keep them) and your elite players don’t get injured or slump. I’d rather have depth. And unlike the PENs, we don’t have two top centers who can carry a line with rookies. Let’s be honest, Stamkos and Point are not Crosby and Malkin. And PIT won a cup with no elite Dmen.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Where did he say that? Sportcenter?

I have a tough time believing we're still in the mix if that's the case, unless Ottawa is high on Namestnikov.
TSN. He said it. Kinda brutal what he was saying. No matter how much you love Steve, Bob is about as solid an NHL reporter as it gets. For him to crap on Steve's dealings the night before TDL is not the greatest look.

I hope this is part of Steve's negotiations. If not, why is he wasting everyone's time and working up his fanbase over nothing?

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
TSN. He said it. Kinda brutal what he was saying. No matter how much you love Steve, Bob is about as solid an NHL reporter as it gets. For him to crap on Steve's dealings the night before TDL is not the greatest look.

I hope this is part of Steve's negotiations. If not, why is he wasting everyone's time and working up his fanbase over nothing?
If you have read all of Yzerman’s statements lately, he’s doing the opposite of “working up his fan base over nothing.” He’s been injecting reality, even throwing cold water on it. This is media driven.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
If you have read all of Yzerman’s statements lately, he’s doing the opposite of “working up his fan base over nothing.” He’s been injecting reality, even throwing cold water on it. This is media driven.
Possibly...

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
It honestly wouldn’t surprise me if Steve has no intention of acquiring Karlsson but is a) trying to string Dorion along and keep Karlsson from being traded to anybody (or at least force whoever gets him to overpay), and b) trying to lower the price on whoever his actual target is.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009

Oh, I think I posted that video earlier, it was posted at 6pm. Since then Vegas and San Jose have stepped up their offers, no?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
SY said from the beginning that he didn’t want to deal anything off his roster. I’m surprised that he doesn’t want to offer Foote though. SY really does love his prospects. This Karlsson situation pretty much fell on his lap. If Karlsson does only want to play for Tampa it complicates things. However it also complicates things if they want us to move Ryan for them. There’s definitely some difference in what they perceive that value to be.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

McKenzie goes on to say the same thing about all the offers Ottawa's been getting. He says it's hard to see a deal materializing when nobody's offering big assets. I think it's twisting things to act like McKenzie's calling out Yzerman or something. He's just saying nobody's making a big offer for Karlsson, and used Yzerman, and then Nashville, as an example.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
SY said from the beginning that he didn’t want to deal anything off his roster. I’m surprised that he doesn’t want to offer Foote though.

He probably sees the same things I see: our only RHD under team control after next season will be Dotchin, we can’t afford Karlsson’s next contract without gutting our roster, Foote is both our only real hope of developing a top four (or possibly even top pairing) RHD and one of our best chips with which to trade for one, and there are moves we can make to upgrade our defense for this playoff run that don’t require us to trade him away so there’s no point in doing so for a luxury like Karlsson.

Yzerman is most likely just trying to see if he can get Karlsson for a price that won’t disrupt his longterm plans to what he considers to be an unsatisfactory degree; if not he’ll move on to a different target. I just hope he doesn’t wait so long for Dorion to blink that those other targets all get taken by other teams.

An alternative explanation is that Yzerman is fine with trading Foote for Karlsson and would rather Foote be the last piece he caves on than offer Foote now and have Dorion demand that he up his offer from there.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Damn, it's after midnight here and I don't want to go to sleep. lol

Tomorrow we'll see what happens. Gonna be hard to work with this hanging overhead.

Keep the faith, fellow Lightning fans! Trust the Yzerplan!! ;)

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
He probably sees the same things I see: our only RHD under team control after next season will be Dotchin, we can’t afford Karlsson’s next contract without gutting our roster, Foote is both our only real hope of developing a top four (or possibly even top pairing) RHD and one of our best chips with which to trade for one, and there are moves we can make to upgrade our defense for this playoff run that don’t require us to trade him away so there’s no point in doing so for a luxury like Karlsson.

Yzerman is most likely just trying to see if he can get Karlsson for a price that won’t disrupt his longterm plans to what he considers to be an unsatisfactory degree; if not he’ll move on to a different target. I just hope he doesn’t wait so long for Dorion to blink that those other targets all get taken by other teams.

An alternative explanation is that Yzerman is fine with trading Foote for Karlsson and would rather Foote be the last piece he caves on than offer Foote now and have Dorion demand that he up his offer from there.

I think that the alternative explanation is more true. I don’t see SY letting a guy like Karlsson slip through his fingers. Foote is a good prospect but SY has enough assets to get another guy to project top 4 on the right side if he has to after this trade he could do it later how deep we are offensively. Reality is we will have to shed some salary at some point to help re-sign Kucherov, maybe he can swing a deal for a guy who can make up for Foote. I mean if we can make Karlsson work with the rest of our top players then it’s not the most difficult team to build around. Our drafting is pretty good. It’s not the worst idea.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
So basically McKenzie and Dreger are drumming up as much bullshit as possible because people will listen based on reputation? That sounds about right. TSN probably figures this will be one of the most lackluster TDL's in recent memory because no one is willing to give up anyone for anything and they need to keep viewership as high as possible. I wouldn't be surprised if the Karlsson deal didn't actually die long ago and they're just reporting old facts again and again without divulging enough of the pertinent details for anyone to tell the difference

I know it sounds like conspiracy but this has been the worst TDL I can ever remember. I have never seen so much hype over so little

Hand to God Green to Caps and McDonagh, Hjalmarsson and EK staying put would surprise me least of any possible outcome and at this rate I'd actually be shocked if any of them were moved

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Yzerman not wanting to give up Names or Foote is not him trying to be cheap, he probably just thinks he can’t resign him.

Reactions: Fabiobest
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad