Speculation: 2017-18 Roster Discussion - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Columbus is reportedly looking for a top-6 C. Is there potential for us?

I'd rather not trade a C right now, unless we're somehow in on Duchene (half a joke). I just mean, we have health issues. And while trading Johnson gets rid of the player who seems to be the biggest health risk (even when he's playing, it seems he's always banged up), it means we're a Stamkos injury away from having a 1-2 punch of Point-Namestnikov. I know we're all high on Point, but, at least for now, if he's our #1C for an extended period, we're in trouble.

I think the biggest strength we have right now is our 1-2-3 down the middle. I'd rather not change that. If Point progresses into a 60ish point player, we can always revisit a Johnson trade.

ADD: There are actually a number of UFA veteran wingers, likely looking for short(ish) deals, who could be a decent fit here. I'm pretty confident we'll land somebody useful, and probably on a deal we can live with. ...The D, on the other hand, will be more tricky.

Last edited:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
The more I look at his numbers, the more I want Shattenkirk. He is among the best in the league the last 5 years in nearly every category. Even defensively he isn't that bad. He has better shot suppression numbers than Erik Karlsson and Victor Hedman. Just go to nhl.com and look at defenseman stats from 2010-11 through 2016-17 (sum results over timeframe and add a games played filter of >= 300). He is in the top 10-20 in just about every statistical category.

I don't think 7 mil is unfair for him on the open market, I just don't want 7 years. If we can do 4 years 7 million then we are instantly sporting one of the best best defenses in the league.

Edit: Here is the link to the stats from nhl.com. Filters already added.

Agree. I just think he fits perfectly here. Also think if he plays with Hedman it's huge for him. I'm telling you he may have said before he wanted to see what the Rangers would offer. Don't be surprised if he came here instead. Even though it's not home, we can offer more than they can financially and also he would rack up points playing here.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I just had a vision of signing Tomas Vanek, just so we don't have to face him anymore, only to have him lead the league in own goals.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I just had a vision of signing Tomas Vanek, just so we don't have to face him anymore, only to have him lead the league in own goals.

That's going to be the real risk if we sign Vanek. Will he be able to break his habit on scoring on us?

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
The more I look at his numbers, the more I want Shattenkirk. He is among the best in the league the last 5 years in nearly every category. Even defensively he isn't that bad. He has better shot suppression numbers than Erik Karlsson and Victor Hedman. Just go to nhl.com and look at defenseman stats from 2010-11 through 2016-17 (sum results over timeframe and add a games played filter of >= 300). He is in the top 10-20 in just about every statistical category.

I don't think 7 mil is unfair for him on the open market, I just don't want 7 years. If we can do 4 years 7 million then we are instantly sporting one of the best best defenses in the league.

Edit: Here is the link to the stats from nhl.com. Filters already added.
I wonder if we might be able to structure the deal so we pay more for short term/no NMC just so we can get out of it easily.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I wonder if Yzerman reached out to Marleau. We only know of Shattenkirk.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I wonder if Yzerman reached out to Marleau. We only know of Shattenkirk.

It's not a bad year to grab an aging forward to fill a secondary scoring role. We're basically looking for a short-term solution on the wing, and a long term solution on D, IMO. And there are plenty of short-term forwards in the UFA pool: Marleau, Williams, Vanek, Sharp. Guys who would mainly be middle six wingers at this point, but can probably fill in on the top line in spurts. They all come with risks, of course, but they won't bury us under salary, which leaves our options open to address other issues.

I can't see Yzerman freeing up this much cap if he doesn't have the blueprint for some kind of makeover in his back pocket. I guess we'll have to see what the Johnson/Palat deals look like to know exactly what he's working with.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Everybody calm down. The chances of Shatty coming here are slim.

If dude wants to play in the North East there's nothing Steve can do about it.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
It's not a bad year to grab an aging forward to fill a secondary scoring role. We're basically looking for a short-term solution on the wing, and a long term solution on D, IMO. And there are plenty of short-term forwards in the UFA pool: Marleau, Williams, Vanek, Sharp. Guys who would mainly be middle six wingers at this point, but can probably fill in on the top line in spurts. They all come with risks, of course, but they won't bury us under salary, which leaves our options open to address other issues.

I can't see Yzerman freeing up this much cap if he doesn't have the blueprint for some kind of makeover in his back pocket. I guess we'll have to see what the Johnson/Palat deals look like to know exactly what he's working with.

I think it's actually the opposite. It's about time for one of our young forwards to step in and be a long term solution for us in the top 9. On the other hand, we're realistically just looking for a 2-3 year stop gap until Sergachev/Foote are ready to hop into the top 4.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think it's actually the opposite. It's about time for one of our young forwards to step in and be a long term solution for us in the top 9. On the other hand, we're realistically just looking for a 2-3 year stop gap until Sergachev/Foote are ready to hop into the top 4.

In Foote's case though, he'll be stepping in for Stralman, which still leaves a hole. Although I don't see Foote as a top-4 happening 2-3 years from now. Probably further off under Cooper. Serg, maybe.

And yeah, we need a young forward to step in, but we're still looking to add a forward this off-season, and that should probably be short-term.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think he will end up with the Rangers but I think Yzerman will make it tough. He will sell the no in state tax, living in FL, playing with Hedman, and passing to Stamkos on the PP. Plus will probably keep his offer on the table from what he gave before, even though he dipped in play. If anything it will make NY step up a contract to what he most definitely isn't worth.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I think he will end up with the Rangers but I think Yzerman will make it tough. He will sell the no in state tax, living in FL, playing with Hedman, and passing to Stamkos on the PP. Plus will probably keep his offer on the table from what he gave before, even though he dipped in play. If anything it will make NY step up a contract to what he most definitely isn't worth.

This is exactly what is going to happen. The on-ice fit is the best in Tampa but he wants to play in the NE.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Just a question but would anyone want Boyle back, seems to be very interested in coming back, although that was clear when he left. Vegas also seem to be interested in Boyle.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Just a question but would anyone want Boyle back, seems to be very interested in coming back, although that was clear when he left. Vegas also seem to be interested in Boyle.

I think it's going to depend on what happens day 1 of FA. If Yzerman signs Shattenkirk and maybe Marleau it would surprise me if we got Boyle back too. Crazier things have happened though.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
I think it's going to depend on what happens day 1 of FA. If Yzerman signs Shattenkirk and maybe Marleau it would surprise me if we got Boyle back too. Crazier things have happened though.

Seems fair enough, although were would he play 4th line with Point playing centre 3rd line.?

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I'd rather not trade a C right now, unless we're somehow in on Duchene (half a joke). I just mean, we have health issues. And while trading Johnson gets rid of the player who seems to be the biggest health risk (even when he's playing, it seems he's always banged up), it means we're a Stamkos injury away from having a 1-2 punch of Point-Namestnikov. I know we're all high on Point, but, at least for now, if he's our #1C for an extended period, we're in trouble.

I think the biggest strength we have right now is our 1-2-3 down the middle. I'd rather not change that. If Point progresses into a 60ish point player, we can always revisit a Johnson trade.

ADD: There are actually a number of UFA veteran wingers, likely looking for short(ish) deals, who could be a decent fit here. I'm pretty confident we'll land somebody useful, and probably on a deal we can live with. ...The D, on the other hand, will be more tricky.

on boyle yes i want him back for faceoffs primarily

dfc? tyler missed 16 games and 13 games and got a slashed broken hand in playoffs? missing a week so now hes injury prone? WTH what does that make stamkos unreal

gawd please allow us to have a season of good health again so people can see the light again:) Amen

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Bryan Burns‏Verified account @BBurnsNHL 2m2 minutes ago
More
Bryan Burns Retweeted Tampa Bay Lightning
Gourde ecstatic to get a 1-way deal: "It’s an unbelievable feeling to sign that kind of a deal knowing where I’ve come from."

also sustr 1 year 2 million aav signed Tampa Bay Lightning‏Verified account @TBLightning 36m36 minutes ago
More
We have re-signed Andrej Sustr to a one-year, $1.95 million contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad