Speculation: 2017-18 Roster Discussion - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
LOL imagine Point + Drouin for Galy

Hasn't Galy been super lackluster since being in the league? I'm not impressed by him

EDIT: Looked up some stats, pretty solid 2015/16 season with 30 goals. I still think Drouin has a higher upside tho

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Montreal is the place I would least like to trade Drouin.

Our reason for existing is to deny the Habs the best FC players.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I want Drouin gone, he just doesn't fit what we want to do and I don't see him hitting his potential, if we get the right deal. Ideally that would be a Dumba/Hanifin type defender but a under 23 forward who's already scored 30 isn't bad either. I can see Drouin being a 25 - 50 - 75 guy and Galchenyuk 30 - 30 - 60, the 1st bridges that gap. I also have hope in Koekkoek as a top 4 D so rather take a chance on him and keep the top 6 strong.

Namestnikov/Point - Stamkos - Kucherov
Palat - Johnson - Galchenyuk

That's a deadly top 6. If you have Point as a LW then your 3rd line with Namestnikov is more defensive, if Point is 3C we have another scoring threat. We need to break up Hedman and Stralman and have them carry their own pair like they did late last year and the defense is fine.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
If we are trading Drouin for Galchenyuk and a 1st (25th OA), then are we trading Johnson for defense? Galchenyuk is a center, right? We would have four top 6 centers so it would make sense to trade Johnson. We could package either the 14th or 25th OA pick with Johnson to get that defenseman. What could we get with that?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If we are trading Drouin for Galchenyuk and a 1st (25th OA), then are we trading Johnson for defense? Galchenyuk is a center, right? We would have four top 6 centers so it would make sense to trade Johnson. We could package either the 14th or 25th OA pick with Johnson to get that defenseman. What could we get with that?

Point had a decent stretch last year and Galchenyuk has had a few good runs but neither is an established top 6 center yet. I would keep them all another season to see who emerges the best. It's also insurance for Stamkos and Johnson as both are coming off of injury. I also don't think a top 4 defender is as big a need if Stralman plays on the 2nd pair. Put him with Koekkoek and he can carry him like Hedman will Dotchin and the top 4 is ok. Let Koekkoek vet comfortable and become the top 4 D he's supposed to.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Point had a decent stretch last year and Galchenyuk has had a few good runs but neither is an established top 6 center yet. I would keep them all another season to see who emerges the best. It's also insurance for Stamkos and Johnson as both are coming off of injury. I also don't think a top 4 defender is as big a need if Stralman plays on the 2nd pair. Put him with Koekkoek and he can carry him like Hedman will Dotchin and the top 4 is ok. Let Koekkoek vet comfortable and become the top 4 D he's supposed to.

I think with keeping Vasy over Bishop Yzerman showed he's willing to take risks, and going with Point/Galchenyuk as a top 6 center would be much less of a risk than going with Vasy as a starter. But I agree that Dotchin reduced our need of a defenseman a lot by allowing us to move Strålman to the 2nd pairing. But we're pretty weak on the left side. After Hedman we have Garrison, Coburn and Koekkoek and as of now none of them is a legit top 4 defenseman. Koekkoek can become one but he didn't impress anyone this season.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I think with keeping Vasy over Bishop Yzerman showed he's willing to take risks, and going with Point/Galchenyuk as a top 6 center would be much less of a risk than going with Vasy as a starter. But I agree that Dotchin reduced our need of a defenseman a lot by allowing us to move Strålman to the 2nd pairing. But we're pretty weak on the left side. After Hedman we have Garrison, Coburn and Koekkoek and as of now none of them is a legit top 4 defenseman. Koekkoek can become one but he didn't impress anyone this season.

The left side is better than the right. Dotchin isn't a top 4 defender either, he's there because he works with Hedman better than anyone else besides Stralman. Hedman > Stralman, Coburn > Sustr, Koekkoek > Dotchin.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
The left side is better than the right. Dotchin isn't a top 4 defender either, he's there because he works with Hedman better than anyone else besides Stralman. Hedman > Stralman, Coburn > Sustr, Koekkoek > Dotchin.

Maybe Dotchin isn't so great on his own but the right side definitely is much better because of how well he fits with Hedman. The depth on our defense improved greatly and a top 4 of Hedman, Dotchin, Strålman and someone solid from a trade would be great. Then the 3rd pairing can be 2 of Koekkoek/Garrison/Coburn/Sustr. One of them as a 7th defenseman. I don't expect us to keep both Garrison and Coburn.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Maybe Dotchin isn't so great on his own but the right side definitely is much better because of how well he fits with Hedman. The depth on our defense improved greatly and a top 4 of Hedman, Dotchin, Strålman and someone solid from a trade would be great. Then the 3rd pairing can be 2 of Koekkoek/Garrison/Coburn/Sustr. One of them as a 7th defenseman. I don't expect us to keep both Garrison and Coburn.

If you do with Koekkoek like they did with Dotchin, the top 4 is fine. Koekkoek hasn't been babysat by either Hedman or Stralman yet, he had a mix of bottom pair partners. Stralman is our best shutdown defender, let him protect Koekkoek so he can be the one with the puck in transition and it'll allow Koekkoek to do what he does best. The top 4 is solid but not great but can be if Koekkoek and Dotchin keep developing.

Garrison will be gone hopefully or the 7th defender. Coburn - Sustr should be the 3rd pair, take the tough defensive zone draws and top PK. Let the top 4 feast on easier competition and better zone starts.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
If you do with Koekkoek like they did with Dotchin, the top 4 is fine. Koekkoek hasn't been babysat by either Hedman or Stralman yet, he had a mix of bottom pair partners. Stralman is our best shutdown defender, let him protect Koekkoek so he can be the one with the puck in transition and it'll allow Koekkoek to do what he does best. The top 4 is solid but not great but can be if Koekkoek and Dotchin keep developing.

Garrison will be gone hopefully or the 7th defender. Coburn - Sustr should be the 3rd pair, take the tough defensive zone draws and top PK. Let the top 4 feast on easier competition and better zone starts.

Koekkoek-Strålman might work but it's far from guaranteed. Even with Hedman nothing has really worked except Strålman and Dotchin. For example Sustr with Hedman was a total disaster.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
Any interest in a year of Beauchemin? Got bought out by the Avs today. Haven't kept up with him the past two seasons but could be an interesting 4-5 guy on a one year deal if he hasn't completely fallen off.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Any interest in a year of Beauchemin? Got bought out by the Avs today. Haven't kept up with him the past two seasons but could be an interesting 4-5 guy on a one year deal if he hasn't completely fallen off.

He sucked last year, was really good in Anaheim the year before. He's old and we have two of those in Garrison and Coburn. Rather gamble on a Del Zotto or Kulikov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad