TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
I do agree that we should have a puck mover on all lines - so I would do:

Hedman - Stralman
Coburn - Shattenkirk
Serge/Koek - Dotchin

If we did get Shattenkirk, this is what I'd run as well. Heddy and Shattenkirk would be two of the same kind of offensively minded defensemen (though I think Heddy is MUCH better on the defensive side than Shattenkirk). I think Heddy works best when partnered with someone who is either a stay-at-home defender like Dotchin or a solid defense-minded two way guy like Stråls.

I don't mind Dotchin being moved down to third pair as I'm still a bit annoyed by his defensive lapses and his rookie undisciplined penalty crap.

Heddy had an outstanding season mainly because he finally found his PP groove and totally ROCKED it, not because Dotchin was any thing more than a Do No Harm dman. Hedman's 5v5 numbers were about the same as the last couple of seasons but his +/- (yes, I know it's not a great stat anymore) took a serious dive.

Though it IS nice to have a rookie paired with a vet, I don't particularly care for the top two pairs to both be babysitting assignments. That's what the third pair is for.

IMHO, of course. :D

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
If we sign Shatty, I see these pairings to start the year.

Hedman-Dotchin
Coburn-Shattenkirk
Koekkoek-Stralman

By midseason I think it will look more like this depending on how things go with Koekkoek.

Hedman-Stralman
Koekkoek-Shattenkirk
Coburn-Dotchin

I don't think you can pair Dotchin with Koekkoek to start the season and I don't think Koekkoek is quite ready to handle top 4 minutes either.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If we did get Shattenkirk, this is what I'd run as well. Heddy and Shattenkirk would be two of the same kind of offensively minded defensemen (though I think Heddy is MUCH better on the defensive side than Shattenkirk). I think Heddy works best when partnered with someone who is either a stay-at-home defender like Dotchin or a solid defense-minded two way guy like Stråls.

I don't mind Dotchin being moved down to third pair as I'm still a bit annoyed by his defensive lapses and his rookie undisciplined penalty crap.

Heddy had an outstanding season mainly because he finally found his PP groove and totally ROCKED it, not because Dotchin was any thing more than a Do No Harm dman. Hedman's 5v5 numbers were about the same as the last couple of seasons but his +/- (yes, I know it's not a great stat anymore) took a serious dive.

Though it IS nice to have a rookie paired with a vet, I don't particularly care for the top two pairs to both be babysitting assignments. That's what the third pair is for.

IMHO, of course. :D

Weren't Hedman's 5v5 numbers pretty bad until he was paired with Dotchin though? I feel like we had an entire thread about how he was performing offensively, while his possession stats were worse than usual. But then he turned that around after being paired with Dotchin, if I remember correctly.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Btw...we can absolutely HATE the term or cash...

but...

Shattenkirk makes our defense better in every way and is exactly what we need in transition and the PP.

first want to ask anyone have somewhere we can find out his first and secondary assist rate of his career?

My problem is only watch him a few times a year and playoffs and have been totally underwhelmed with his numbers and play in the playoffs

he gets about half his goals per year on power play and averages which is probably on the rise 8 goals a year basically and 28 assists which is rising to 40 range at least for now. again half his assists are power play but hes very good at power play so have that.

He might be best thing ever with hedman who is just on a whole nother level now.

Yet is a risk especially if a lot of his assists are of the secondary type imho

going deep he plays 19 mins a game in 2015 think is he played a lot more of a non offensive zone start and he had really solid or no drop off in corsi fenwick etc... so he actually played more as a full dman and his stats maintained all of them very well

his shooting percentage has been pretty great by his numbers hes improving this is his peak time

in playoffs though he has struggled mightily ever single year

last two years though his blocks hits takeaway giveaway numbers are super solid imho in playoffs meaning he changes his game accordingly he gets plenty of shots too in playoffs just not burying them and not getting dirty goal rebounds etc..

he might be godsend for us is a risk to give him the term etc.. yet might be exactly what we need. hes improving hes proven by deep stats if given a bigger role he can do that too if allowed so is much more interesting to me now ive looked a lot more of his stuff

just if we sign him callahan and killer got to go sooner rather then later

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
So we have no word on any of Johnson/Palat/Sustr or any of the Crunch guys? What the hell is Yzerman doing?

Not sure our season was over for a while he had since April to sign Johnson and palat! He said he will sign palat and Johnson but not sure if today or after July 1st. I doubt he signs them beforehand July 1st probably signs them a few days before they go to arbitration.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
If we sign Shatty, I see these pairings to start the year.

Hedman-Dotchin
Coburn-Shattenkirk
Koekkoek-Stralman

By midseason I think it will look more like this depending on how things go with Koekkoek.

Hedman-Stralman
Koekkoek-Shattenkirk
Coburn-Dotchin

I don't think you can pair Dotchin with Koekkoek to start the season and I don't think Koekkoek is quite ready to handle top 4 minutes either.

Yeah, you've got a point. Though Yzerman seems to think that both SK and Sergachev have a chance at Garrison's position and that they'll find out in training camp. Unless Sergachev is really truly that remarkable, I'd think that SK would have the edge having some NHL experience already.

Yzerman's Draft Day 2 Interview from lighting website.

MrClutch86

Aug 23, 2013
Tampa
I don't expect Sergachev to be on the roster unless he really impresses in camp.
For one it looks like Yzerman is clearing cap for something more.
For two, I don't think he would have agreed to the pick condition in the trade if he thought Serg would make the team.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I hope Boyle knows he would be here short term, I would feel bad signing him and pushing him off again

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
yes both are better then koekkoek and dotchin in ways

foote has to work on skating is his knock.... he is always in good position though and his first pass per my scouting is very good to exceptional both have bodies to play in nhl TODAY sergachev question will be on d side which he needs to work a bit.... foote's question mark will be skating and shooting but per my scouting reports ive talked to on the kid he flat out right now can play today in nhl shut down d. He hardly ever is out of position per my scouts i talked to they said he is exceptional in being in place etc.. His hockey smarts and hockey IQ is top level.

I love slater in past have let everyone know that yet you need a mixture and these two boys just have it

none dotchin koekkoek sergachev and foote and even throw masin in the mix is perfect all bring different things but all have ability to play in nhl.

Someone put foote down as a 4-6 d man in future to me thats a laugh if stevie picked him 14th the kids is the goods just my two cents...

slater will be huge rushing the puck cause his speed might be as good if not better then hedmans which is saying something. Dotchin proved serviceable. Sergachev loves to rush the puck up etc.. and is pretty decent at it but other parts of game can use work. Yet for any d man under 25 these are the case:)

What I am saying is talked to a bunch of chl people etc.. they say foote and sergachev can play now. Thats good for me. I figure both get sent down cause cooper will not want to deal with so much uncertainty even when they have great talent.

Cooper gets away with it this year next year both are in nhl at some point full time.

If he can't skate that great how is he better than either? He doesn't have enough skills yet to make up for his skating. He can make a good first pass and his gap control is fine but he will get burnt along the boards by forwards and he's not incredibly strong so will lose many board battles. He's two years out at best. Blujus or Thomas are much closer than him to being ready as they have good enough skating.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
Btw...we can absolutely HATE the term or cash...

but...

Shattenkirk makes our defense better in every way and is exactly what we need in transition and the PP.

You know who else made us better after his deal was signed? Callahan. Now we are stuck with an anchor of a contract. We are just getting out of our bad contracts, why go out and do it again? It is the literal definition of insanity. I would much rather run the current guys we have than sign shatty. We will all regret it, no matter how you try to rationalize it right now.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Much as I love Boyle and the way he plays, I don't think he's a huge necessity right now. We got better last year after the trade. No, I'm not saying we got better because he wasn't there. But I think it shows we can win games without him. I'd rather break in a younger, cheaper player with that 4C spot.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Callan Foote will spend 1 year in juniors, 1 in the AHL, and then replace Stralman if everything progresses for him perfectly.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Much as I love Boyle and the way he plays, I don't think he's a huge necessity right now. We got better last year after the trade. No, I'm not saying we got better because he wasn't there. But I think it shows we can win games without him. I'd rather break in a younger, cheaper player with that 4C spot.

I'd love him back for 2.5 per year for a two year term! He can win face offs and good for 13-16 goals! Good vet!

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
You know who else made us better after his deal was signed? Callahan. Now we are stuck with an anchor of a contract. We are just getting out of our bad contracts, why go out and do it again? It is the literal definition of insanity. I would much rather run the current guys we have than sign shatty. We will all regret it, no matter how you try to rationalize it right now.

People were saying then though that Callahans style of play was going to get him into injury trouble. Shattenkirks style of play should stay consistent and only taper off when his skating starts to slide

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
People were saying then though that Callahans style of play was going to get him into injury trouble. Shattenkirks style of play should stay consistent and only taper off when his skating starts to slide

I still would not want to sign shattenkirk but watching him play he will age well! I think he will play till 35 to 36 easy! He does not hit a lot plays kind of a style like hedman! Lacks a physical game he will last! We knew Callahan would fall apart sooner or later that was a bad contract! Really our only bad contract left.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Anchor? How much more cap space do you want? God I hope and pray that he bounces back and silences his critics.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Anchor? How much more cap space do you want? God I hope and pray that he bounces back and silences his critics.

We all do. But there's no way to look at that contract as anything but an anchor at this point.

But if he bounces back, and we all turn our vulturous attention on Alex Killorn, just so you know, you're obligated to defend his contract too. ;)

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014

We have cap space so we need a new shiny toy as soon as we have it? You guys are like a little kid with ten dollars. I would rather walk through the season with 7 million free in cap space than give it to shattenkirk. Just because we have bait doesn't mean we should go fishing on the worst day of the year.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We all do. But there's no way to look at that contract as anything but an anchor at this point.

But if he bounces back, and we all turn our vulturous attention on Alex Killorn, just so you know, you're obligated to defend his contract too. ;)

People are jumping the gun and not allowing the guy to try and return from injury. I just think it's a little inconsiderate given the situation. After next year, if he does not have anything remotely in the middle of his 1st and 2nd season production wise. Then thats that, won't have to worry about me anymore making these posts. Lol.

As per Killorn, 6 years is tough, if he regresses too much when he hits 30 yo, then can see it being an even worse situation than Callahan's.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
I still would not want to sign shattenkirk but watching him play he will age well! I think he will play till 35 to 36 easy! He does not hit a lot plays kind of a style like hedman! Lacks a physical game he will last! We knew Callahan would fall apart sooner or later that was a bad contract! Really our only bad contract left.

Sounds like what people said about Matt Carle, whose contract we still have on the books btw, for three more years. That 1.8 would have been enough to get Kuch signed for 6 years last summer.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We have cap space so we need a new shiny toy as soon as we have it? You guys are like a little kid with ten dollars. I would rather walk through the season with 7 million free in cap space than give it to shattenkirk. Just because we have bait doesn't mean we should go fishing on the worst day of the year.

Just save that money for Kucherov in a couple of years. Just because the cap is there, Yzerman should not be like a kid in a candy store with a 100 dollars in his pocket. Additions are needed but the big fish will certainly drown this team. Just go after the medium size fish and this team will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad