Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread VI | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Heard 2yrs @ 4.5 mil per year!

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. It was one of the possibilities that I tossed out months ago. I posted in the contract prediction thread that he'd get a little more term with a lower AAV... but this shouldn't really be a shock.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I hate to say this because of how he played in game 7 against Ottawa, and how he lifted his overall game against the Preds, but I can't wait for Kunitz to sign elsewhere. I will breathe a sigh of relief knowing Sully won't be able to slot him in alongside Sid or Geno for 20 games as he struggles to get 3 points during that stretch.

I will be relieved once I see Tampa signs him.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
Have to admit I'm a little sad that in a few hours Bonino, Daley, and Kunitz will be ex-Penguins. They've been big parts of our rollercoaster rides the last two season. Damn have they been fun!!!

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
With the D market cut down to where Franson is the next best guy, i almost like going for AHL guys that can push themselves up for depth like what happened last year. Several decent options there and Wilkes needs alot of D to fill the roster.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Wouldn't surprise me in the least. It was one of the possibilities that I tossed out months ago. I posted in the contract prediction thread that he'd get a little more term with a lower AAV... but this shouldn't really be a shock.

If his injuries haven't hurt him long term he can still be a good player and the contract is worth a gamble for a team like Detroit not something we should have considered (sounds like we didn't). Good to see guys that helped us win cups get rewarded financially.

Someone was quoting Bob McKenzie so I didn't hear it directly. We'll find out soon enough.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I hate to say this because of how he played in game 7 against Ottawa, and how he lifted his overall game against the Preds, but I can't wait for Kunitz to sign elsewhere. I will breathe a sigh of relief knowing Sully won't be able to slot him in alongside Sid or Geno for 20 games as he struggles to get 3 points during that stretch.

It's what I'm most looking fwd to as well.

Letting a guy like Kunitz walk will be a huge sign that this team doesn't hold onto vet players past their prime, and that Jr's creed to get younger isn't just lip service.

Most importantly, he won't be thrown into the top six ever again.

Until I see an official deal with another team, I won't believe he is leaving though.

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011
Have to admit I'm a little sad that in a few hours Bonino, Daley, and Kunitz will be ex-Penguins. They've been big parts of our rollercoaster rides the last two season. Damn have they been fun!!!

I feel you. Kunitz is bitter sweet. I've always said If only we could have playoff kuni all year. Heck I bash his decisions and turnovers alla the time. But when the chips are down these guys flat out bring it. Idc what anyone says,that's a hard to find element. And that's the only thing that worries me going into this off season.

But I do feel it is right/the time to move on and that certainly Is exciting in its own right.

Another thing about the possible trades. Is they might be hinged to free agency, if team a wants free agent x,then player y is expendable type stuff. That's why I'm not to concerned no deals yet.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Those are the three I wanted replaced the most. I appreciate what they did, but Kunitz is a huge issue because he has clearly slowed down, but he isn't played in a proper role. Daley I was a big fan of, but his wheels look gone. Bones heavy feet have always annoyed me and I've felt for awhile they can upgrade from him.

It's going to be insanely hard to threepeat, but I feel strongly the new blood brought in for these guys will make the Pens a better team.

Dr Frasier Crane

Oct 16, 2008
Boston, MA
Kunitz... has been frustrating for a few years now, but he was borderline elite LW for a couple years. Can't believe he played the better part of 9 seasons with the Pens.

Very glad it won't be 10, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
It's what I'm most looking fwd to as well.

Letting a guy like Kunitz walk will be a huge sign that this team doesn't hold onto vet players past their prime, and that Jr's creed to get younger isn't just lip service.

Most importantly, he won't be thrown into the top six ever again.

Until I see an official deal with another team, I won't believe he is leaving though.

Pretty much. I'm still skeptical that he'll be allowed to walk, but if it happens, I will be happy.

It's less about Kunitz being on the roster (I think he's fine as a 4th liner getting minimal minutes while playing a physical game), and more about this organization's infatuation with his legend, and the subsequent misuse of the guy by the coaching staff.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Would have been nice to see Kunitz retire as a Pen, but the guy loves playing hockey and he is going to get paid well to keep doing it, so all the best to him.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
McKenzie is saying that Girardi is going to earn more next season then he was going to earn from the Rangers... his buyout is 1.1m... which means rumors are Tampa is apparently going to pay him 4m+...

I'm doing a happy dance just thinking about it.

JakeNBake59

WizardofFire
Feb 20, 2016
Crosby's back yard
McKenzie is saying that Girardi is going to earn more next season then he was going to earn from the Rangers... his buyout is 1.1m... which means rumors are Tampa is apparently going to pay him 4m+...

how much space do Tampa have left if they are also in on Shattenkirk?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Yea, no ones takin' that one.
Meant more Johansson/Eller.
But yea, pretty sure thats not gonna happen.

God, Eller is awful. Truly truly awful. He would rather hold onto the puck forever than make a play to try to score. He is a player to avoid at all cost. Hopefully, the Caps keep him.

I'm ok with Franson for 1-2yrs at 3.5m/yr.

Not a fan of Franson at all. And we cannot spent that kind of money on a third-pairing D. We need to be smarter than that.

Yeah that was one of the things I found weird with how LV did things. Their coach admitted that he had zero say in the ED. Which I mean to an extent sure it makes sense... but on the other hand, he is the guy who's going to have to coach those guys. Here I can't see Rutherford acquiring or signing a player without having discussed it with Sullivan to ensure that they're both on the same page.

Well, we're talking about opposite ends of the spectrum here. Two-time defending Cup champs, and an expansion team.

Vegas does not have an identity yet. The GM has to be the one to initially create the identity, because there is no ice time for anyone until September.

Ugh. Do not want. He has a few redeeming qualities. He's big, he's a right shot D and he has a decent pass and shot. But his skating is so meh. Honestly... he near the bottom of my wish list for tomorrow. I'd take any of these guys before him:

Hunwick, Kulikov, MDZ, Hainsey, Campbell, Jokipakka or Wiercioch.

I agree with you on Franson. I do think Hunwick fits, even though I am not a huge fan. Kulikov, I think, will go for too much money. Del Zotto is Vancouver-bound according to Bobby Mac. Hainsey I would take back on the cheap, for sure. Campbell, meh. I think he is headed back to Chi-town. Jokipakka is headed to Europe last I heard. Wiercioch I have never been a fan of, I think he gets an AHL contract, at best.

Logically speaking, our trade partner is most likely to be Vegas.

They have Shipachyov as their current 1C option, Grabovski injured or not, and three capable 3C candidates in Eakin, William Karlsson and Haula, and a number of wingers who can play C in a pinch. You imagine they want to get a little more defined/remove redundancies.

Depending on the price, I would be pretty OK with all those three. Karlsson in particular could prove a steal down the line, I think. He was easily one of the better Jackets players against us, and while his faceoff numbers are not what we'd like, he sure did well enough against us. Haula ticks most every box, and except for a real down year last season on a very injured Dallas team, Eakin does too except arguably salary.

All three can play, all three can skate. Eakin the only one playing with a bit of an edge though.

Let's also remember that McPhee drafted Eakin. I think he wants to keep him around, as part of his initial core.

Haula might be too expensive to acquire, and also someone I think McPhee wants to keep.

Karlsson is OK, but I see him more as a 4C than 3C.

The two guys I actually like best from Vegas to fill the 3C role are Oscar Lindberg (who I assume would play LW for Vegas if he stays due to the logjam) and Tomas Nosek, who is a bit older for a prospect but who was a dominant figure in the Calder Cup playoffs. Maybe he does the same thing Lukas Sedlak did, which was use his AHL playoff performance as a platform to secure a job in the NHL, finally.

I don't think it would be too expensive to bring in either Lindberg or Nosek, too.

Wasn't that what people said about Nisky before he got to the Pens and Schultz too?

Schultz always had hockey sense and great offensive instincts. He just was horrible within Edmonton's system, and a defensive liability. Most of his issues were confidence and not handling the pressure that comes with signing a big free agent deal when everybody was after him.

Why not lock him up to an extension this summer?

We have already cut bait with Bonino (even though at 4x4 is a fair ask) and Daley, which tells me the Penguins are prioritizing their existing players -- all their current RFAs, but also looking towards the next couple of years and their other guys (Jake, Rust, Horney and perhaps Cole).

Cole is only 28, which is far from old. He can skate, is in fantastic shape and very durable. I don't see him slowing down very soon, fits in well here and can play the R or L side. So why not try to lock him up to an extension? May aim would be to lock him up to 4 years at $3.5 if possible. I think he's very tradeable at that number too if we needed to move him. Anyone else a proponent of extending him, and do you think we can get him locked up to that number?

Sure, Brendan Smith got a bit more but he's a full UFA and there's some good security for Cole getting locked in. You never know what can happen with injuries, etc. At 4 years, he'll have a chance at another deal if he stays healthy. I think it could be a good fit if the numbers are right.

I am one of Cole's biggest supporters here. But I don't see the rush to re-sign him.

If you are not a part of the core, there is no rush imo.

Also, I have a feeling Lauzon is going to be fast-tracked to the NHL. I get the sense the Pens wanted him all along because they view him as a quick insert into the lineup as a steady, puck-moving defenseman without a lot of frills.

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven

Yeah. With some rumours of Williams going there, I was starting to fear them a little bit. Seeing Girardi skate for the opponent's team is always reassuring that things will be okay. Want to see him flail and dive after an unleashed Sid once more.

Also seems that the Hawks are trying to get the old gang back together :laugh: we all know too well how that tends to work out.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
how much space do Tampa have left if they are also in on Shattenkirk?

I don't think they are in on Shattenkirk. They have 20m and need to sign TJ and Palat. If they're going to sign Girardi (I still smile every time I think of it), I don't think there's room for Shattenkirk - especially at the rumored price that Girardi might cost.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
Would have liked to see the Pens go after Chris Tanev from the Canucks. RHD, size, PMD.....seems to check all the Pens boxes.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
According to Bob Sharks have a backup plan in Camilleri if Marleau does not re sign.

Maybe Marleau is having a good look around?

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Bob tweeting this players being sure to go to certain places will ruin the fun a little. I like surprise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad